The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Rockabilly69, is the eminence alnico you posted similar to the Weber 12a125A? https://www.tedweber.com/12a125-a That is what I see recommended often for the Tweed Deluxe. I was thinking of trying one out.
Also another great speaker for the Tweed Deluxe is the Celestion Blue
Old 06-29-2020, 05:05 PM

i had the WEBER 12A125 in my '64 Deluxe Reverb and did NOT like it at all...
yanked that baby
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 06-29-2020, 05:36 PM

I am now in the same boat as you, as I pretty much only play at home anymore, and that's not going to change when there is a vaccine...

So first of all, a home player needs an amp with a master volume. I love the straight forward control of the old deluxes, champs, etc. But sometimes you need a crispy tone that is no louder than the TV. In fact if I'm working on muscle memory stuff while learning a new song to sing along to, I regular watch the TV while playing.

I recommend getting rid of both. My tube amp is Mesa Transatlantic TA-15. It gives a respectable impersonation of a VOX tone on one channel (standard or top boost), and on the other channel a Fender Brown (though they call it tweed), Marshall, and "boogie" tone. You can footswitch between channel 1 and 2. It really is 4 amps in one.

It can run at 5 watts, 15 watts, and supposedly 25, though the 25 is kind of trick. But the key is there is a master volume function on both channels. So you can crank the preamps while being family friendly, or you can you push the power tubes if everyone is gone, and you live on a couple acres.

Best of all you can find it, only in head form, for $700. You would pocket hundreds of dollars. This was Boogies version of the lunchbox amp. Made for pro gigging, but the perfect answer for the home player who might want to wind it up from time to time.

Here's a short vid

Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
So first of all, a home player needs an amp with a master volume. I love the straight forward control of the old deluxes, champs, etc.
or just put a nice attenuator on your old tweed deluxe, champ, etc. And get the sound of the power tubes instead of cascaded preamp tubes! The good attenuators sound great these days. Not slagging on your Mesa, as I have owned quite a few of them, and as I still own a really nice 22 watt Mesa which I also attenuate! But I don't care what Mesa it is, you can twiddle the knobs all day, and never get a great tweed sound out of one, they are typically too compressed. That sound belongs to the Fender and it's ilk.

My Mesa, which I love, is to the right of the file cabinet, but in 30 years of owning Mesa amps, not one of them has bested a vintage Fender when it came time to turn the recorders on.

I've had this attenuator for about 10 years and it does a great job, in the picture it's attenuating that Frenzel head into the 4 x10 bottom which is ridiculously loud

Old 06-29-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
But I don't care what Mesa it is, you can twiddle the knobs all day, and never get a great tweed sound out of one, they are typically too compressed. ]
Yeah. It's not a tweed. Brown verging on black. But it's pretty good. I sold my last vintage fender after getting this mesa. When I was gigging I had a Showman, bandmaster, and a number of champs over the years.

I'll admit, last "attenuator" I used was a straight up variac back in the day taught me a great lesson. Don't believe everything you read!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Yeah. It's not a tweed. Brown verging on black. But it's pretty good. I sold my last vintage fender after getting this mesa. When I was gigging I had a Showman, bandmaster, and a number of champs over the years.

I'll admit, last "attenuator" I used was a straight up variac back in the day taught me a great lesson. Don't believe everything you read!
Variac, ouch What was that old commercial "They've come a long way baby"

Speaking on brown verging on black, my '64 Deluxe reverb (all original except the speaker), was from the first run, and they were still using paperwound output transformers from the brown series in that run...

Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the clarification on the speakers Rockabilly. Ill probably try one of them eventually, maybe the Humboldt.

blue, I hear what you are saying. I have thought about selling both and just buying something else, with power scaling, multiple wattages, or a master volume. I have an attenuator, the Swart Nite Lite, that I use in both amps, and that has worked pretty well.

I think I am going to send the Ghia off to get the master volume installed. I was playing it tonight with my Eastman, amp turned up a good bit, using the guitar volume knob to control the overall volume. That amp is just so clear and articulate. Its like everything in my fingers come through. Really a joy to play clean jazzy bluesy music on it.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the speakers Rockabilly. Ill probably try one of them eventually, maybe the Humboldt.

blue, I hear what you are saying. I have thought about selling both and just buying something else, with power scaling, multiple wattages, or a master volume. I have an attenuator, the Swart Nite Lite, that I use in both amps, and that has worked pretty well.

I think I am going to send the Ghia off to get the master volume installed. I was playing it tonight with my Eastman, amp turned up a good bit, using the guitar volume knob to control the overall volume. That amp is just so clear and articulate. Its like everything in my fingers come through. Really a joy to play clean jazzy bluesy music on it.
Well good luck with the Ghia and the master volume! And if you get the Humbolt post up what you think about it!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 AM

I run my amps through an old cabinet with a single Jensen MOD 12” speaker. Whether I use a Tweed Deluxe, PRS H head, 1980 Black Face Deluxe Reverb, or 5 watt Hughes and Kettner BluesMaster, that MOD. gives me great tone. The Ted Weber Signature in the DR gets a bit sloppy with volume at 8. The MOD keeps it together.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Variac, ouch What was that old commercial "They've come a long way baby"

Speaking on brown verging on black, my '64 Deluxe reverb (all original except the speaker), was from the first run, and they were still using paperwound output transformers from the brown series in that run...

Gotta love fender. They really used what they had on hand! Very cool!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I was playing the Ghia here on my lunch break with the Swart Nite Light attenuator and Eastman T59. Man, that amp sounds great with the attenuator, I don't think I am going to bother sending it off for the master volume. That would be a cool thing, as I would not have to deal with connecting the attenuator, extra cables, etc. But it might be different sound, as from what I understand it is limiting signal to the power tubes. With the attenuator I get nice power tube breakup but at a volume that won't kill my ears. No point in spending any more money if I am happy with that current sound.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I was playing the Ghia here on my lunch break with the Swart Nite Light attenuator and Eastman T59. Man, that amp sounds great with the attenuator, I don't think I am going to bother sending it off for the master volume. That would be a cool thing, as I would not have to deal with connecting the attenuator, extra cables, etc. But it might be different sound, as from what I understand it is limiting signal to the power tubes. With the attenuator I get nice power tube breakup but at a volume that won't kill my ears. No point in spending any more money if I am happy with that current sound.
Now you're talking! Hell just mount it in the cabinet, and buy another for the Deluxe, problem solved Is your night light the jr version? That's the one that most people mount in the cab.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Its the full size night light. I am not sure if the Jr would work with the Ghia, its supposed to be for amps 15w and under. The Ghia is 18w, and a loud 18 at that, if that matters. I've thought about getting the Dr Z Brake Lite, that can mount in the cab. Or maybe mounting my Nite Lite in there. Ive read about some folks attaching MDF with velcro to the inside of the cab, then attach the Nite Lite to that. It would probably work if i mounted it on the floor of the cab.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Its the full size night light. I am not sure if the Jr would work with the Ghia, its supposed to be for amps 15w and under. The Ghia is 18w, and a loud 18 at that, if that matters. I've thought about getting the Dr Z Brake Lite, that can mount in the cab. Or maybe mounting my Nite Lite in there. Ive read about some folks attaching MDF with velcro to the inside of the cab, then attach the Nite Lite to that. It would probably work if i mounted it on the floor of the cab.
Sorry about that, I didn't remember the Ghia wattage! But I'm sure you could mount your Night Light pretty securely in the Ghia!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Anyone have any opinion on the Webber Mini Mass?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars