The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 AM

To the OP...

WIth a $1,000 budget you'd be much better off buying used. A used MIM (Mexican) Strat or Tele can be had in the $350-$400 range and will serve you well. You'll have to decide for yourself which one you prefer.

Personally, I chose the Tele. It just felt "right" to me. A solid plank of wood with 2 pickups, a 3 way switch and TONS of versatility. If you're playing the Blues, it has to come from the heart...it's not a mechanical style of playing so you want a guitar that feels like it's connected to you.

That would leave you at least $600 to apply to an amp and pedals. The amp is arguably the most important piece in the chain, so don't skimp. You'll just have to try out a bunch of different ones until you find the sound you're after. Most will suggest you look at tube amps vs. solid state, but that's a whole different debate.

I started with a Hot Rod Deluxe. It's plenty loud and you can get some nice clean sounds out of it. I recently sold it and upgraded to a '72 Twin Reverb which I found on Craigslist for only $450! I will have that amp forever!

Here are some pics of my rig, but the choice is ultimately one you'll have to make for yourself.

Yamaha FG730S
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Well, I may be able to expand that budget, but $1000 is what I am comfortable with at the moment since I am unsure if I will really love this as much as I think I will. I have been an acoustic snob for so long, and this band situation is new to me as well.

I am really leaning towards Strat right now (played a Standard Strat MIM at GC the other day, it was nice sounding for the price - nice Seafoam Green too). I know that the amp is my biggest hurdle. Craigslist in my area is a little light on the musical equipment, but there are a few things that have caught my interest.

On a side note: what pedals would be recommended? I know that very few are used, but I need any advice and direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarObsession View Post
To the OP...

WIth a $1,000 budget you'd be much better off buying used. A used MIM (Mexican) Strat or Tele can be had in the $350-$400 range and will serve you well. You'll have to decide for yourself which one you prefer.

Personally, I chose the Tele. It just felt "right" to me. A solid plank of wood with 2 pickups, a 3 way switch and TONS of versatility. If you're playing the Blues, it has to come from the heart...it's not a mechanical style of playing so you want a guitar that feels like it's connected to you.

That would leave you at least $600 to apply to an amp and pedals. The amp is arguably the most important piece in the chain, so don't skimp. You'll just have to try out a bunch of different ones until you find the sound you're after. Most will suggest you look at tube amps vs. solid state, but that's a whole different debate.

I started with a Hot Rod Deluxe. It's plenty loud and you can get some nice clean sounds out of it. I recently sold it and upgraded to a '72 Twin Reverb which I found on Craigslist for only $450! I will have that amp forever!

Here are some pics of my rig, but the choice is ultimately one you'll have to make for yourself.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasonlyhuman View Post
Well, I may be able to expand that budget, but $1000 is what I am comfortable with at the moment since I am unsure if I will really love this as much as I think I will. I have been an acoustic snob for so long, and this band situation is new to me as well.

I am really leaning towards Strat right now (played a Standard Strat MIM at GC the other day, it was nice sounding for the price - nice Seafoam Green too). I know that the amp is my biggest hurdle. Craigslist in my area is a little light on the musical equipment, but there are a few things that have caught my interest.

On a side note: what pedals would be recommended? I know that very few are used, but I need any advice and direction.

MIM Strats can be very nice guitars. Plus, if you played this one at GC it was most likely not setup well, and that will make it even nicer. If you decide what amp you want then go to The Gear Page and shop. There are tons of good deals to be had there. I have bought all my amps there recently.

What pedals you want/need is totally dependent on the guitar and amp and music. For example, Fender amps (Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, Pro Jr, Blues Jr...) are renowned for how well they like pedals. Some other amps do not do pedals as well.

Most likely you will want a good OD pedal so you can get some "dirty" sounds at house/apt. volume. I also think a good delay pedal and a compressor come in very handy. For me Wampler Pedals are the best. A bit pricey, but so well built and they do what Brian says they will do. Go to their site and they have good sound clips of all the pedals. You can also get GREAT deals on pedals at The Gear Page.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM

strictly speaking, I would choose a strat. Playing style, as "blues" covers a lot of ground, will be a huge factor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars