The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 PM

People on some other forums are raving about the Mustangs, especially the Mustang III. I've got to try one of those.
My own modeler is a Vox Valvetronix 60-watt head, one of the old ones, through an Avatar 2x12 cab. It's been my amp with our band for 6 or 7 years now and still sounds great - does really good Fender tones as well as Vox. So I can vouch for Vox, at least the bigger ones.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Thanks everybody.

Does anyone know anything about the Fender FUSE software that comes w/ Mustang?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutFiddler View Post
Sitting on the couch I use my iPad with either Amplitube or the new Garage Band with is awesome for the $5 app price.
Gut,

Have you ever run an acoustic through Amplitube? Is there any way to record cleanly with it? Is there any decent way to record an acoustic on an Apple iOS device?

I'd love to plug my acoustic (with pick-up) into my iPhone to record.

opencee

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM

I have a Fender Mustang II (40W) that I use with my SG and Strat. Great sounds, big volume, easy to use. For in-home use only, I would probably go for the Mustang I (20W) which should be plenty loud enough...and for a hundred bucks, how can you go wrong?

~DB
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 AM

I have a Fender Mustang II (40W) that I use with my SG and Strat. Great sounds, big volume, easy to use. For in-home use only, I would probably go for the Mustang I (20W) which should be plenty loud enough...and for a hundred bucks, how can you go wrong?

~DB

that is what I am leaning towards. have you used the FUSE software/ have you tried the acoustic effect?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM

I have a Mustang II that I really like. I am using it with an acoustic guitar (Sunrise P/U). I split the signal to pa and to amp through a volume pedal and use the amp for overdriven leads, effects, etc. Works great and is fun. My son and myself play once a week in local bar (small venue) and this puppy has plenty of power. People ask all the time where all that sound is coming from. I use FUSE for going in and adjusting and adding effects then saving them to different positions. I have downloaded a few, but like doing my own as I am creating them for an acoustic guitar. I had to sell my Swart a year ago and miss it dearly, but for 200 instead of 2000 this is a good bang for the buck.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post

~DB

that is what I am leaning towards. have you used the FUSE software/ have you tried the acoustic effect?
I don't have a USB cable to hook the amp to my computer, so I haven't messed around with the FUSE software or the recording software that comes with the amp. It would have been nice if that little cable would have come with the amp...

~DB
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM

I have a Mustang II, and I'm very happy with it. Especially for home and low volume gigging uses, it works great.
I do like the Fender tones, but if you do some tweaking with the Fuse software that comes with it, you can get some pretty fine overdriven sounds as well.
It mimics a Twin or Deluxe really well. For the bucks, I don't think it can be beat.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
Thanks everybody.

Does anyone know anything about the Fender FUSE software that comes w/ Mustang?
The Fender Fuse is very easy to use.
I used to own a Fender Mustang II. Its a great amp, and does the Fender sounds very well. However, I own a Mesa Express 5:25 and decided to make it my main amp " all the time.
You can't beat the price of the Fender Mustangs.
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Don't rule out Roland Cubes.

Modeling amps are a "jack of all trades, master of none," really, but some of them, like the Valvetronix and Cubes, are good enough at what they do that they are more than useable for practice and even gigging, if a lot of different tones are needed.

The Cubes also have 2 sounds that are good enough to "set it and forget it"--the JC Clean and the Blackface Model--good enough just to use on their own and not bother with all the other bells and whistles.

I have no experience with the Mustangs--early reports are that folks like 'em.
I would concur. I have a Roland Cube 80 XL matched with my Strat. I stay in the JC, Tweed, or VOX Brit Combo models. I use it for practice and gigging (can't afford or justify duplicating equipment). They are good enough to use on their own. If done properly you can set three tones setups and forget them. I have Tweed tone stored on the Solo Channel, when I go off the solo to lead I have VOX Brit Combo, then I can also switch to JC and use that as well.

For a modeling amp it is pretty decent for the money. But modeling amps are generally designed to be a one amp fits all and they never really excel in any one category or area.

I was playing with a small Fender DC tube amp that only had gain, reverb and chorus. Man it was a sweet little 22w amp that could easily be mic'd. Also had a direct out. Truth is, gain, reverb and chorus are pretty much all you would need in an amp.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM

I've got a fender vibrochamp xd and it's kinda like the Mustang,these style amps can get you close to almost any fender sound,I don't think they do British all that well but that might not be your thing anyway.
I will tell you I find the effects kinda hokey and limited so I run my own pedals which it takes pretty well.

What you don't get with the xd is the fuse software or mp3 input.
If I was to do it again I might lean towards the G-dec blues like some one mentioned as it's a better practice tool for my skills and ability
Old 05-06-2011, 02:58 AM

Check out AmpliTube Custom Shop 3.5 FREE for some excellent amp modeling software on your desktop Mac or Windows PC. This is the flagship IK product from which all of our iOS models are derived.

Custom Shop 3.5 makes AmpliTube available to everyone, with a free software download base product containing 4 amps 9 stomps, a high-precision tuner, and more.

3 of the 4 free amp models are particularly well suited for acoustic-electrics.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've gotten used to applying whatever works at a given time. I use tube amps for some stuff but have worked pretty hard to get the sounds I wanted from modelers. Most people have a hard time telling the two apart when recording, and it has become pretty standard in some kinds of music for the electric guitarist to use a modeler of one kind or another and sit in the control room for overdubs.

I'm pretty enthused about the Mustang II. I think it brings a whole lot of modeling power and nice sounds down into a range where you don't have to sell your tube amps to get one. You can add the Mustang for home and backstage and keep a larger amp for your stage backline.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

I've never had the chance to play on the Fender, but the Vox is a very nice amp. My best friend got one a couple years back, and he can emulate everything from Megadeth and The Devil Wears Prada, to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Right now I have a Line 6 Spider 2 75watt amp, and while you can get some nice sounds, it's hard to get great ones out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars