The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Default First time electric guitar and amp

I'm planning on making first amp/guitar purchase.

Guitar: Squier Bullet
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-B...15-i1385540.gc

Amp: Marshall MG15
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall...75-i1435633.gc

I'm skimping on the guitar because I can't justify spending $800 for the Fender American Special Strat I really want.
Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience.

...the rest of the story...
OK...the guitar arrived! (see pictures: http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/squ...py-ngd-me.html)
I ended up with a Squier Bullet and a Frontman 15R. It's a great experience the first time you sit down, plug in, and strum!

Last edited by dbowen; 10-15-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: adding an end to the story
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM

I can tell you that marshalls mg sound really awful from my experience and their build quality is not good. For a small amp in that range i would try towards fender or peavey.

Last edited by RamóN; 09-22-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamóN View Post
I can tell you that marshalls mg sound really awful from my experience and their build quality is not good. For a small amp in that range i would try towards fender or peavey.
Plus one one the Marshall. Not good at all. as far as the guitar goes, make sure the neck, fretwork, playability is there. There are decent inexpensive electric guitars like the one you mentioned, but you may need to play a bunch to find the decent ones.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM

I'm gonna be one of those annoying types who says "You know, for just a little bit more $$$ you could get..."

a used MIM Fender Strat. Seriously, you can pick them up for a song and their build quality is quite good. Just last night I was in a used guitar shop and there were two nice MIM Strats within $60 of the Squire you link to above. (I wanted one of them real bad, but I just don't need another guitar right now.) I've had some bad experiences with Squires and their variable quality. There are certainly some killer Squires out there, but by and large I'm thinking a MIM would be a better bet.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM

For $99, get one of these:

http://www.jr.com/fender/pe/FEN_0231502000/

I have one and love it. Really sings with an upgraded Ragin Cajun speaker, but the stock 10" speaker is fine. Headphone jack, real spring reverb, and OD channel. Also RCA inputs for ipod etc. The clean compares to my old SF Champ. Really nice.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:34 PM

plus one on a used MIM Strat and a Fender Frontman...craigs list (but play before you pay).
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 09-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowen View Post
I'm planning on making first amp/guitar purchase.

Guitar: Squier Bullet

Amp: Marshall MG15

I'm skimping on the guitar because I can't justify spending $800 for the Fender American Special Strat I really want.
Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience.
Both of your choices are fine, IF.....you have held the guitar in your hands and it feels and sounds good to you. I would choose the Fender that is recommended over the Marshall, but only because it offers a little more power and it keeps you in the Fender family.

My only advice is do not buy blind on your first purchase. Get the best guitar you can from your local music store. Hold it in your hands, make sure you like it. If you order the the internet, they will pick it out, it's hit or miss if its good or bad.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 PM

MIM strat/tele or an epi les paul, great guitars last you a long time for the amp check out the vox pathfinder 15r or a vox ac4 nice little 4 watt tube...or the fender super champ xd 15 watt tube preamp great versatile amp
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Default change of plan

thanks to all the replies, I'm going with the MIM Strat and the Fender 25R. I can't really sit in a guitar shop and play different ones since I don't know what to look for, but it makes sense to stay away from the low end and with the Fender name...(the Fender American production factory is 30 minutes away from me, so I think I'm going to take the factory tour!)
Thank you all for the benefit of your experience!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Good choices! You're smart to go the the MIM too.

Here's my MIM JV Strat and 25R:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVGITewzMNg

(I cut off the trem bar Gilmour-style so you can't see it)

Enjoy you new guitar and amp
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM

The Squier Classic Vibe series is very nice. The finish and the necks and fret work is amazing for the price. Many have said that the Classic Vibe Strats are better than the MIM standards. Guitar Center won't have a lot of Classic Vibes in the store because they say if the customer is going to pay the cost of a Classic Vibe they usually end up going up a little higher and getting the MIM strat. I absolutely would not get a Bullet unless you found the best one on earth. For Squiers your best investment will be the Classic Vibe Series.

You should also ask around at strat-talk.com. There is a great bunch of guys over there. Here are a couple of videos show casing the 50s and 60s classic vibes strats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a1m9wrjddo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFaWYSr6d_Y

I like the Fender Super Champ XD as it is quite versatile OR one of the 5 watt tube amps (Vox AC4TV, Epiphone Valve Junior, Bugera V5, Blackheart Little Giant, Crate V5)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Agreed with dragonfly about the CV series. I haven't played the CV Strats but I love my CV50 Tele that I grabbed for $249 on a weekend GC sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrP77rkr5E

All his amp suggestions are very good too, but some bump up the price quite a bit, and some (like the Vox) lack some of the features and tone of the 25R for only $99.

Last edited by TomHB; 09-26-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 PM

Default For sure the Frontman 25R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowen View Post
thanks to all the replies, I'm going with the MIM Strat and the Fender 25R. I can't really sit in a guitar shop and play different ones since I don't know what to look for, but it makes sense to stay away from the low end and with the Fender name...(the Fender American production factory is 30 minutes away from me, so I think I'm going to take the factory tour!)
You are correct to go for the Frontman. They have something approaching a cult following.

Then, as someone else posted and since you may have saved a little money there, also try out the Classic Vibe series. As is true for the MIMs, some may be better than others - try to hold and play them. I would be happy myself with a used MIM which is much easier to find than a used Classic Vibe and maybe even a new Classic Vibe.

Greg
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHB View Post
Agreed with dragonfly about the CV series. I haven't played the CV Strats but I love my CV50 Tele that I grabbed for $249 on a weekend GC sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrP77rkr5E

All his amp suggestions are very good too, but some bump up the price quite a bit, and some (like the Vox) lack some of the features and tone of the 25R for only $99.
Some how I ended up with the whole Classic Vibe line. I have both Strats, both Teles, and the Duo Sonic.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Some how I ended up with the whole Classic Vibe line. I have both Strats, both Teles, and the Duo Sonic.
Nothing wrong with that!

As you said, the fretwork alone is amazing, and the pups are great as well. I play my CV50 all the time, and now have a beautiful '52 AVRI sitting neglected in the closet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars