The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-27-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Acousticland!

Thank you for your kind comments! I am very pleased that you enjoyed this cover! I had fun with this myself!

I have composed some songs where I sang, many in fact, but it has been more than 30 years since I recorded any original songs. Here is a song I did with my wife that long ago about a lighthouse down the coast from us called "Tillamook Light." My wife is singing lead and I am singing harmony. It's played with my old Guild F212 12-string.

I should maybe go back and re-record some of my better songs...

- Glenn
Glenn, you’re ok, but we need to hear more from Mrs. Willow.
Seriously, I really enjoyed this song you posted. Great harmonies and your wife’s voice is lovely.
Roger
Old 01-27-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Wow Glenn, that is terrific!!! I am one of those Beatles fanatics and I zero issues with any of this! I would very interested in your recording, mixing and mastering process (and the gear used) but I'm sure that would take you half a day to lay out.....but if you're bored one of these days and would consider sending me a private message with as much info as you are inclined to divulge I would really, really appreciate it! :~)

As a side note: have you ever gone to Vegas and seen the Cirque show "Love" at the Mirage? Great in sooooooo many ways but one of my favorite parts happens even before the show starts. Instrumental tracks (vocals scrubbed) from many Beatles tunes are played through what has to be one of the most incredible sound system anywhere. In the five times I've see that show - which is beyond amazing in every way - (and I'd see it five more times is I could!!!) - I so look forward to listening closely to that pre-show music. As I said, I am a total Beatles nut and consider my ear to be quite good, but each and every time I've heard things that I had totally missed in the original recordings. See that show!!!

Again, thanks for posting this, you have a terrific voice and I love how you get all the elements seamlessly assembled. Keep up the great work!!

Gene Bourque

Cape Cod Acoustics
Hi Gene,

Thank you for your supportive and detailed comments! How nice of you!

I am very pleased that an admitted Beatles fanatic thinks I did okay on this song!!! That's wonderful!

I have been to Las Vegas a few times, but on business in my former job (now retired) as an engineer. I have not had the opportunity to go to any entertainment at Las Vegas. I always thought I might, but then got too tied up with problems to be able to break loose. If I ever go there for fun, I will try to check out that "Love" show at the Mirage.

Regarding my recording setup I record audio to my computer using Cubase and I record video on up to three Canon Vixia cameras. I use a Warm Audio WA-47 for vocals and two Warm Audio WA-84 SDC mics for the guitar. I have a few outboard mic preamps from Warm Audio and others. I use Adobe Premier Elements for video editing.

This video is 3 1/2 years old but tells the story of how I record videos:

If I have left any of your questions unanswered, please send me a PM and I will be glad to respond and help in any way I can.

Thanks so much for your supportive comments, Gene! Much appreciated!

- Glenn

PS: I forgot to mention that I master with Izotope Ozone. I find it does a very good job for me, but I keep it fairly simple.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-29-2022 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpicker View Post
Glenn, you’re ok, but we need to hear more from Mrs. Willow.
Seriously, I really enjoyed this song you posted. Great harmonies and your wife’s voice is lovely.
Roger
Thank you so very much Roger!

Yes, my wife has always had a lovely voice, but she had enough of the music business in the past. She is leaving the latest stuff on my YouTube channel to me and has told me she is not going near a microphone. Too bad, really, but she is very supportive of my music.

We met back in 1966 in college at a Hootenanny where we both were performing. We have been together ever since. That's a lot of years... let's see, 2022-1966 = 56 years.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-27-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 PM

Glenn, what a wonderful job on a classic Beatles tune.

I was going to comment on the vocals, where you clearly put so much care and focus....and managed that high Paul-vocal ending very well! I was holding my breath as you came to that part...hoping it would come off...and it did! Magnificent.

You got the fuzz really authentic on your Strat, loved that. Someday if you feel up to it, would be cool to add the bass as well, but it's probably better use of your time to tackle another Beatles tune, since you seem open to it. I look forward to whatever you next tackle!

Loved the performance and production. Thank you Glenn.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:21 PM

Hi Glenn,
Always enjoy your vids. Excellent recording and great musical talent.
Thanks for sharing and keep on playing!
Rene
Old 01-27-2022, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn, what a wonderful job on a classic Beatles tune.

I was going to comment on the vocals, where you clearly put so much care and focus....and managed that high Paul-vocal ending very well! I was holding my breath as you came to that part...hoping it would come off...and it did! Magnificent.

You got the fuzz really authentic on your Strat, loved that. Someday if you feel up to it, would be cool to add the bass as well, but it's probably better use of your time to tackle another Beatles tune, since you seem open to it. I look forward to whatever you next tackle!

Loved the performance and production. Thank you Glenn.
Hi Carmel Cedar!

Thanks so much for your comments, which are greatly appreciated! I'm glad you felt this came across well.

You know, I worried a little about that Paul McCartney high harmony at the end of the song, right up until I got to the point of recording it. But I thought, well, if I have to, I'll sing it falsetto. In the end, I was able to squeak it out well enough. It was a big relief...

Regarding the bass, I did play a bass guitar for the cover, I just didn't play all the busy stuff that Paul McCartney played. I simplified the bass line; it would have taken me a week to learn the Paul McCartney version. Also, I like to keep the bass line fairly basic.

Thank you for taking time to comment and to provide support! I hope you are doing well in the midst of the wintertime. Stay safe!

- Glenn
Old 01-27-2022, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar View Post
Hi Glenn,
Always enjoy your vids. Excellent recording and great musical talent.
Thanks for sharing and keep on playing!
Rene
Hi Rene'!

Thank you for watching and for providing comments here! How nice of you!

I have really been enjoying your videos lately!

Be well and take care Rene'!

- Glenn
Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

That was so good. I started watching then stopped because I had to get my wife in here to watch it with me. Excellent, Glenn, excellent! We loved it!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That was so good. I started watching then stopped because I had to get my wife in here to watch it with me. Excellent, Glenn, excellent! We loved it!
How nice, Barry!!!

I am so glad you and your wife enjoyed this! That is so wonderful to read! Thank you Barry!

I hope you are both doing well and that the snow predicted for your area will not be too bad! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 01-27-2022, 11:01 PM

Glad I listened. Awesome.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Glad I listened. Awesome.
Thank you Hoyt,

I'm glad you listened, too! Thank you for your encouraging comments! I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well!

I hope you are doing well! Take care.

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Love this Glenn! Great instrumentation and vocals. Never thought of Lennon capoing up 2 frets to play in D, sounding in E, but after going back to the Fabs version, I'm pretty sure that he did. Spot on

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-28-2022, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Love this Glenn! Great instrumentation and vocals. Never thought of Lennon capoing up 2 frets to play in D, sounding in E, but after going back to the Fabs version, I'm pretty sure that he did. Spot on
Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your thoughts and comments! I'm glad you felt this came out well!

I, too, was a little surprised about John Lennon's use of the capo for this song. I would have originally guessed that he would have played the song in the key of E with no capo. However, I did a little research on this question. The Hal Leonard transcription book I have, which is very thorough, states that John Lennon played the song in D with capo on the 2nd fret. The bass and the lead guitar were played in the open key of E, of course. I also have a book called "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook" also by Hal Leonard and it also states that John Lennon played this in D, capo 2. Finally, I found an interesting YouTube video from Mike Pachelli that shows the same rhythm part played in D, capo 2. This is a pretty good video by Mike Pachelli, and he does his own cover of "Nowhere Man" at the end of the video, which is quite good.

Finally, I do think it sounds a little better played in D, so I can see why John Lennon made that decision.

I'm really pleased that you got a chance to watch this, and I'm particularly pleased that you enjoyed what I came up with!

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 12:43 PM

Obviously very nicely done Glenn!
I saw an interview where the electric guitar sound for the song wasn’t as bright as the Beatles wanted, especially the solo. I forgot what they did, but I believe they had the engineer crank the treble to the max on the board as it was on the guitars and amps.John and George played the solo together. They also picked right over the bridge pickup. It’s definitely Strats with maximum glass.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-28-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Obviously very nicely done Glenn!
I saw an interview where the electric guitar sound for the song wasn’t as bright as the Beatles wanted, especially the solo. I forgot what they did, but I believe they had the engineer crank the treble to the max on the board as it was on the guitars and amps.John and George played the solo together. They also picked right over the bridge pickup. It’s definitely Strats with maximum glass.
Hi Rokdog!

I'm so glad you checked this cover out and took the time to comment. Thanks so much! I'm very pleased that you thought this came across well.

I, too, had read about John wanting more and more treble during the recording session. Attributed to Paul McCartney from "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions," Mark Lewisohn:

"We were always forcing [the Abbey Road staff] into things they didn’t want to do. ‘Nowhere Man’ was one. I remember we wanted very treble-y guitars, which they [that is, Fender Stratocasters] are, they’re among the most treble-y guitars I’ve ever heard on record. The engineer said, ‘All right, I’ll put full treble on it,’ and we said, ‘That’s not enough’, and he said, ‘But that’s all I’ve got, I’ve only got one pot and that’s it!’ And we replied, ‘Well, put that through another lot of faders and put full treble up on that. And if that’s not enough we’ll go through another lot of faders’…

Anyway you’d then find, ‘Oh, it worked!’ And they were secretly glad because they had been the engineer who’d put three times the allowed value of treble on a song. I think they were quietly proud of all those things."

I have two Fender Strats, a Strat Plus, which I used on this cover, and a Strat Pro II from just last year. I used the Strat Plus for this cover because the bridge pickup is quieter as well as brighter than the Pro II. However, I did not add any more treble to the sound in my mix, because I thought my recorded sound was already brighter than what I heard from the Beatles' recording. I think the analog tape and going through a couple of generations of tape before mastering wiped out some of the original treble on their recording. I think well recorded digital preserves a whole lot more of the original sound especially compared to analog recording in 1965.

Thanks very much for your thoughts and comments! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell