The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 PM

Default Help with effects ordering!

I'm setting up more board tonight and am having trouble with ordering the effects. Could anyone help me with this? This is the order I'm thinking would be best:

Stratocaster > Boss TU-2 Tuner > Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz > Philosopher's Tone Compressor > Fulltone OCD > Wampler Pinnacle > Boss DD-7 > iB Modified Nova Delay > Strymon blueSky > Eventide SPACE > Morgan RCA35 amp

Does that look right? I figured delays most naturally should be before the reverbs, while also keeping the compressor after the fuzz to protect any issues.

It's your turn now. In your opinion, what should I consider changing?

Thanks. Am I unsure of myself? Absolutely!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 AM

I'd put the compressor after the tuner. YMMV.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 AM

I am curious to see what some of the techie experts will say here. Good question. Bumping for a response.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 AM

I don't know the hoof fuzz, but fuzzes tend to work better if they don't have a buffer before them. As the boss tuner has a buffer, I would put the fuzz before it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I've read the compressor comes early, before any OD/Distortion. That being said, I took mine off my board. Have you tried without compression?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Cool

Thanks for the responses. I learned from some reading (from not very reputable sources) that the fuzz, most fuzzes at least, should come before the buffer, with all drives coming after gain/drive/distortion pedals.

I'll take pics and give it a go, then report back.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM

No buffer before your fuzz. Then tuner, then Compressor, then dirt, then modulation(delay...). When I used fuzz I found they sound much better using a battery than using a power supply box. It has to do with battery decay and sag.

Last edited by terrapin; 02-17-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
No buffer before your fuzz. Then tuner, then Compressor, then dirt, then modulation(delay...). When I used fuzz I found they sound much better using a battery than using a power supply box. It has to do with battery decay and sag.
Thanks!

Last question -- should the order be distortion into overdrive, or overdrive into distortion?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18 View Post
Thanks!

Last question -- should the order be distortion into overdrive, or overdrive into distortion?
Have fun with that! You will probably play with stacking pedals, and for that you just want to try different arrangements of your "dirt" pedals to see what sounds best to you. ALOT of folks will say low gain before high gain. I don't buy into that necessarily. You may also notice that stacking pedal A into pedal B sounds great, but creates ALOT of noise. Then it becomes a matter of trying to dial out the noise without losing the tone! ALOT of trial and error, but fun! I do recommend low capacitance patch cables (George L's or Lava). They are a bit pricey, but when running multiple pedals in a chain, out front of the amp (no effects loop) you can lose ALOT of signal with cheap cables. Keep your cable runs a short as possible, and take note of buffers and their placement in the chain. Sounds like you only have one buffer (tuner) so not a problem for you. Some folks have gone to clip-on headstock tuners to avoid having that buffer. Buffers and True Bypass pedals don't always play nice together!

Last edited by terrapin; 02-17-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Have fun with that! You will probably play with stacking pedals, and for that you just want to try different arrangements of your "dirt" pedals to see what sounds best to you. ALOT of folks will say low gain before high gain. I don't buy into that necessarily. You may also notice that stacking pedal A into pedal B sounds great, but creates ALOT of noise. Then it becomes a matter of trying to dial out the noise without losing the tone! ALOT of trial and error, but fun! I do recommend low capacitance patch cables (George L's or Lava). They are a bit pricey, but when running multiple pedals in a chain, out front of the amp (no effects loop) you can lose ALOT of signal with cheap cables. Keep your cable runs a short as possible, and take note of buffers and their placement in the chain. Sounds like you only have one buffer (tuner) so not a problem for you. Some folks have gone to clip-on headstock tuners to avoid having that buffer. Buffers and True Bypass pedals don't always play nice together!
I actually added the Boss DD7, which is also buffered. Also, the Nova Delay and Eventide convert the signal to digital, even when bypassed (annoying, but a necessary evil I must deal with). Due to the digital bypassing of the SPACE and the Nova, I'm heavily contemplating leaving only the SPACE on my board, while leaving the Nova off.

Will two Boss buffers kill my tone? I guess there's only one way to find out ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars