The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM

A tad OT but if you want pretty convincing Fender Clean at under 35 lbs try looking at at Tech 21's Trademark 60. I had a Twin way back and a 212 Peavey Stereo Chorus, then a Music Man 112 (65w). They were all great clean amps but the Tech 21 has the features, sound and- the right weight. I toured with it and sound men loved the direct out (no miking necessary). Looks cool too- here's a link if your interested:

www.tech21nyc.com

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Having had a 1955 Fender Twin and HR Deville 212 at the same time I would say there was nothing similar about the way they sounded and responded. The narrow panel tweed amp has full-on mids with a warm bloom (courtesy of the tube rectifier). Very organic sounding overdrive but they can also be a bit hard to tame as they like to break up early. If the HR amps can be compared to any Fender amp I would think it would be the late 1970s Silverface master volume amps with the ultralinear output transformers meaning they are good for folks who want a alot of clean headroom and they take to pedals very well.

+1...I use both a Blues Jr. (tweed) and a 70's Twin in tandem for just the reasons you mention..the Bjr breaks up easily while the Twin stays clean (seemingly) forever.

Together, they make a great range of tone.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
+1...I use both a Blues Jr. (tweed) and a 70's Twin in tandem for just the reasons you mention..the Bjr breaks up easily while the Twin stays clean (seemingly) forever.

Together, they make a great range of tone.
I essentially use this same setup, and love it for the same reasons. I haven't played on a hot rod much, but it seems like they are more for a crunchier sound. Twins take overdrives well and can get that sound though IMO.
Takamine
Am Std Strat
Gibson LP Standard
Amps:
65 RI Twin Reverb
Blues Jr
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

+ on the Deluxe Reverb, either re-issue or original. Not a big fan of the HR series; kind of cool to have the option to get it distorted without losing your hearing, wife or neighbors - but that gets old quickly, IMHO. I bought a '73 DR on EBay for $700 about 4 years ago; after I paid for it (!!!) I remembered that time period was when EVERY amateur electrician tried to 'mod' it to get that Mesa Boogie sound. I just prayed that mine would not be some sort of "frankenstein" project amp, and it turned out to be very, very clean inside. My amp tech friend said he didn't think ANYONE had ever opened the amp up! Came with RCA black plate tubes from the 70's, which are still kicking butt...

So, be sure you don't get someone's science project if you buy an older one; btw, the DR is one of the few amps that did not get changed (except for the silver faceplate) for nearly 10 years after CBS bought Fender from Uncle Leo.

As for a Twin? GREAT amps, at least the old ones. They WILL NOT distort until you turn 'em up to 7 or so; I don't know anyone who'd be silly enough to do that! At 59 years of age with perennial back issues, I WOULD NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT LIFTING ONE!!!

Good luck - I hope this helps a bit...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM

If you can find a used fender Tweed Twin from the custom shop they really sound great. Warm and yummy. I bought a new one at a used price from a store that was closing out its fender stuff. Really glad I did it. I used to have a Blues Deluxe and will agree with those that say they lack the warmth and sound a bit harsh. You might even try the Fender Bassman RI. I also have one of those and it sounds great as well. Both accept pedals well. Good luck in your search. If your anywhere close to Louisville, Ky you are welcome to try mine out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars