The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-15-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Buscarino Short Scale Cabaret Classical

Hi folks. I picked up a new guitar last Friday and wanted to share the below. I had asked our resident guitar savant, Bob Berger, about a good carved back nylon guitar. I was having difficulty playing my old classical and wanted something both musical and friendly. Bob recommended the Caberet model from John Buscarino and said to check out a new one that was available from John’s website. I was skeptical of the 25” scale length and got a hold of John who said, short paraphrase: “its killer, listen to the recording on the website and, if interested, I will send it for a trial. This is the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTXvWFCxTzw

Fast forward: I got it and am really enjoying it. It sounds great, plays like a dream, a works well for a wide variety of music. I was concerned about the treble response on a 25" nylon guitar but, no worries, as this treble is sweet, full and very present. Also, John and his wife Melissa are super nice folks.

Here is the guitar info from John’s website: https://buscarino.com/2020-short-scale-cabaret

And here are a few excerpts from the website:

“This gem starts out with a gorgeous premium grade perfectly quarter sawn piece of East Indian rosewood. It is topped with master grade Carpathian spruce which is tonally superior and eye catching as well. Macassar ebony adorns the fingerboard which is complimented by the Brazilian rosewood headstock veneer and bridge. I just love the shape of the oval hole on this model and used my custom snakewood and mother of pearl ribbon rosette to bring all the details together. A 25 1/2" fingerboard scale is the industry standard scale length for a nylon string and is what I normally use but on this guitar i decided to shorten it to 25". The shorter scale length greatly reduces the string tension, the frets are closer together which makes complicated finger stretches easier to manage and i was able to get the action good and low without fret buzz or loss of volume. The end result is a stunning guitar with a warm and sweet tone that has plenty of bass response and is incredibly easy and comfortable to play. You can't ask for a whole lot more than that!”

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

Be well!

Last edited by jmat; 06-15-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Here’s the video embedded John (congrats )

Still love mine...

Old 06-16-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob! Sadly, play the guitar as I might, it doesn’t sound like the fella in the video. Next lifetime, maybe retirement...

If Artisan happens, and if we both go (if, if...) perhaps we can hold a Cabaret summit.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Congrats John! Can't wait to play it!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-16-2020, 03:55 PM

Gorgeous!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Thanks Bob! Sadly, play the guitar as I might, it doesn’t sound like the fella in the video. Next lifetime, maybe retirement...

If Artisan happens, and if we both go (if, if...) perhaps we can hold a Cabaret summit.
Luis Diaz, who made that demo of your guitar for John is a classically trained guitarist who attended the Conservatory of Music in Puerto Rico. He then went on the Berkeley College of Music for Music Production and Engineering. Luis was also in the U.S. Air Force Band. So don’t feel too bad about trying match his playing and recording prowess...

I hope that you get as much pleasure with yours as I have with mine over the last 5-years and yes, if the show is on in August, we can have a “Cabaret Summit”...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop