The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-16-2024, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba GK Pro compared to Cervantes Crossover

Hello all,
I wonder if any of you have been able to compare these two guitars. I am mostly interested in the sound quality of each, unplugged. I have a nice classical but would like a faster playing neck as well as a slightly slimmer body.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:29 PM

No experience with either model or the Cervantes brand, sorry, but I can suggest that you look up recent QC reputation of both brands. Where are the Cervantes built? (I have a vague memory that they put nuts <48mm on their crossovers, which becomes really tight for nylon strings.)

Any chance that a flamenco could do the trick for you? I know people who consider those to be the "ultimate crossovers" - and at least you know it was designed to be used without getting plugged in.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-16-2024, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Hello all,
I . . . . would like a faster playing neck as well as a slightly slimmer body.
The Cordoba GK Pro definitely punches both of those tickets.

I’ve never played a Cervantes.

Best wishes with your quest!
Old 01-16-2024, 08:07 PM

I have never played either one, but I own a Cervantes Signature Rodriguez Classical, and based on the tone of that guitar I'd say that the Crossover would be head and shoulders above the Cordoba. I love my Eastman Cabaret JB, but it's got nothing on the Cervantes. Dream Guitars used to sell a lot of Cervantes Crossovers and you should be able to watch their video samples of sold models since I'm not sure they have any new ones available. To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if Cervantes is still building. His website seems to be unavailable and it's been a while since I've seen any new Cervantes in any of the dealers that used to carry them. Savage Classical Guitar in NY used to carry them but doesn't appear to currently. Are you looking at a used one?

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 01-17-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
based on the tone of that guitar I'd say that the Crossover would be head and shoulders above the Cordoba. I love my Eastman Cabaret JB, but it's got nothing on the Cervantes.
Yes to the former, to the latter I'd say it could be true but it's also comparing apples to pears

This just showed up, including a sound clip:
https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale...dded-clip.html

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:13 PM

"Cervantes" guitars are made by Alejandro Cervantes. You're comparing a factory guitar to a luthier-built guitar.

I heard that he's not building as many these days due to health reasons.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Not exactly the same as the GK Pro, but I have a Cordoba C7 as well as a Cervantes Crossover 1 (Avant Garde Series). The nut on the Cervantes is 1 7/8, which I don't find to be an issue with the nylon strings.

The tone on the Cervantes is substantially better than the Cordoba C7. Both are Cedar top by the way. I have not played the GK Pro but I vaguely recall a discussion that said it was a bit thinner than the C7 both size and tone-wise.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
The nut on the Cervantes is 1 7/8, which I don't find to be an issue with the nylon strings.
What I recall about the Cordoba GK Pro was that it had a 50mm nut width which is slightly narrower than the typical 52mm of a classical guitar (i.e. Cordoba's Traditional series).

The Cordoba Fusion series has 48mm (1-7/8") nut widths.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Hello all,
I wonder if any of you have been able to compare these two guitars. I am mostly interested in the sound quality of each, unplugged. I have a nice classical but would like a faster playing neck as well as a slightly slimmer body.
Looks like I'm in the minority here but I had the chance to play a Cervantes Crossover I Signature Spruce / Cocobolo and I did not like it. It does have a very slim body and the neck might be fast, with the cutaway and extended fingerboard it certainly looks fast, but what I remember about it is the tinny tone, especially the high notes, but this guitar sounded bad, especially asking $3.5K. Maybe it was my lack of technique, maybe it was a counterfeit or a lemon, but I would prefer any Cordoba to that particular guitar.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Nelson View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority here but I had the chance to play a Cervantes Crossover....
I had Cervantes down as another upscale chain-built brand that you could just go into a better store and try one. If I was indeed wrong about that you're probably part of the small minority who had the chance to play one, period!

Getting a good sound out of a nylon-stringer and esp a classical does require the right technique, and from what I understand that's even more true for the better (aka concert) CGs.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Nelson View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority here but I had the chance to play a Cervantes Crossover I Signature Spruce / Cocobolo and I did not like it. It does have a very slim body and the neck might be fast, with the cutaway and extended fingerboard it certainly looks fast, but what I remember about it is the tinny tone, especially the high notes, but this guitar sounded bad, especially asking $3.5K. Maybe it was my lack of technique, maybe it was a counterfeit or a lemon, but I would prefer any Cordoba to that particular guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I had Cervantes down as another upscale chain-built brand that you could just go into a better store and try one. If I was indeed wrong about that you're probably part of the small minority who had the chance to play one, period!

Getting a good sound out of a nylon-stringer and esp a classical does require the right technique, and from what I understand that's even more true for the better (aka concert) CGs.
I own a Cervantes Crossover II, which is similar to a I except for its classical neck.
It's a very well built guitar, and doesn't sound at all tinny to my ears. it's easy to play. I also spoke to Alejandro Cervantes himself about the build, as I was deciding between a I or a II. I prefer the wider neck, so that's why he guided me to the II model. Very nice guy, and have rarely heard any bad things about his guitars. I like them a lot myself.
Here's a recording I made with the guitar. (It has a K&K pickup system, but it wasn't used for this recording. This is guitar's natural sound recorded using a Shure mic.)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-24-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
I own a Cervantes Crossover II, which is similar to a I except for its classical neck.
It's a very well built guitar, and doesn't sound at all tinny to my ears. it's easy to play. I also spoke to Alejandro Cervantes himself about the build, as I was deciding between a I or a II. I prefer the wider neck, so that's why he guided me to the II model. Very nice guy, and have rarely heard any bad things about his guitars. I like them a lot myself.
Here's a recording I made with the guitar. (It has a K&K pickup system, but it wasn't used for this recording. This is guitar's natural sound recorded using a Shure mic.)
Love this piece! well done!
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 01-25-2024, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
Love this piece! well done!
Thanks Nate. It is a great piece of music from the modern era of classical guitar. No need to always go back centuries to find quality material.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical