The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-17-2023, 01:10 PM

Default Help me pick a Cordoba

I want to get back into guitar after 20 years. I can get a good deal on a Cordoba. I always played electric, so I think lower action, curved fretboard and narrow nut would help me. Also a compact body for comfort and playing on the couch would be nice. So the options I know of are:

C5-CET - love the thin body design at 2.75" at the widest spot! But I can afford more and I'm wondering if there is a big jump in quality going up in models? Also this one isn't a hybrid, it has the 2" nut and flat fretboard.

GK Studio - also flat fretboard and 2" nut, but lower action and thinner 3.5" body thanks to the flamenco style.

Fusion 12 Orchestra CE - narrower hybrid neck, 16" fretboard radius and 1.875" nut. But deeper 4" body. It comes in cedar top or spruce top. Also the first on the list to use solid top, back and sides.

Fusion Rose II - pretty much the same as orchestra CE, but has a laminate top sand slightly thinner 3.75" body. I really love the look of the top. But would the laminate top be a problem for the durability and life expectancy of the guitar? Also reviews say the rosewood makes the sound subdued and mellow. I assume that's a criticism of this one right?

C9 Crossover - same neck as the fusions, 3.8" body depth.

C10 Crossover - same as the C9 Crossover as far as I can tell, but $300 more. I'd guess that's for better fit and finish!?

55FCE - super cool guitar. It has low action and a thin 2.75" body. But it's not a hybrid neck. It's the only non-Chinese guitar on the list. Also, I think it's discontinued.

This list is in order or price fwiw.

Can you give me a recommendation or any other thought and information. I don't know anything about Cordoba or acoustic/classical/flamenco guitars.

Last edited by Nastynick; 12-17-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:04 PM

Don't overlook the Cordoba Cadete. It's a 3/4 size classical with a 24-1/8" scale length and a 1-7/8" wide nut. I have a few nylon strung guitars, including a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion that I don't play, and this guitar is really superb as a couch guitar. It comes in below your lowest priced candidate.

Here's my post to introduce it:

"NNGD. No, I do not have a sticky N key!"

My biggest reservation about getting one to try out was the flat fret board. I've been playing acoustic and electric guitars for 60 years and have always played guitars with radiused boards. I can truthfully say my reservations were unfounded, the flat board is quite comfortable.

I have several guitars and this one gets a ton of playtime.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-17-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I have a C9 with the 2" nut.. Couldn't be happier with it. It seems follow me around the house and is always right where it needs to be when I reach for it.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:41 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Cordoba makes a good guitar. I have 3. The OP might want to look at the Fusion 14 Orchestra model too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-17-2023, 05:21 PM

Do not buy a Fusion unseen or make very certain you can return it if it's not fit for your purpose! I did (and didn't) with a Fusion 14 Maple after reading a reassuring number of positive feedback. While the woodwork was gorgeous and the sound acceptable the QC was desastrous with only a few frets seated properly and a bridge that was visibly not perpendicular to the centre line. Cordoba didn't even want to make a gesture to cover part of the cost to set all that right.
That dealer had already rejected the first unit they received for an incorrect neck angle, and when I posted my findings on the forums I was active on then (= last year) others admitted they'd seen Fusions in stores with noticeable QC problems.

The Cordoba Stage seems to be getting all the QC attention and might be an option if you're used to e-guitars.

IMHO the rosewood model is a gimmick that IMHO is really meant to appeal to folk players who're looking for a nylon-strung mahogany instrument. I'm guessing they picked rosewood instead of hog because "it's what good classicals use for the back" but it will be anemic acoustically because of a laminate, inappropriate wood top. Not an issue of course if you plan to play plugged in all the time and like the sound on the demos. I wouldn't worry about its durability; Cordoba (now Yamaha!) laminates are good and probably less delicate than a solid top (esp. a cedar one).

The GK Studio has a solid top!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Suggest you look beyond Cordoba and buy a used Spanish or Mexican (Paracho) guitar. I've owned 3 Cordobas recently: GK studio negra, 55FCE and the limited edition Parlor. They all have a similar thick polish and lack nuances and character IMHO. Take a look at Camps and Alhambra and other used guitars from Spain or any of the Paracho Mexico made guitars like Navarro. HUGE bang for the $2000 buck. With the exception of an occasional undervalued guitar, going below $1500 will limit your quality and feel. There seems to be a consistent improvement in quality at around $2000 and another one at $3k. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2023, 12:33 AM

Thanks all. I'm definitely getting a Cordoba there's a lot of value for me with the deal I can get. Unfortunately it seems everything short of the $5000 master series is made in China. I'm not worried about qc issues with the guitar new. I know they honor their warranty. But I don't know which models hold up best over time. Leaning towards a fusion. What are the differences between the 12 and 14 besides the neck placement further outboard?

I can't deny I like look of Rosewood. And the slightly thinner body.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynick View Post
I know they honor their warranty.
And I know they don't. Or rather, they're likely to disagree with you on the fit-for-purpose aspect. In my case that implied very clearly that they consider that their crossover series doesn't have to be able to produce buzz-free sound when played with unplugged classical technique nor has to appeal intonation-wise to anyone with a minimally trained ear.

Of course I was probably dealing with the distributor rather than directly with the brand itself but my emails to them went unanswered.

You'll find videos of the Fusion 12 and 14 Maple that give a good idea of the differences between the 2 guitars. Shifting the soundhole north (as in the 14-fretter) raises the main air resonance. Putting the bridge further north on the top will make the basses less boomy. The result is you get a clearer/brighter sound, with less of that fuzzy warmth typical of a classical/Spanish guitar.
Theoretically the 14 fret version could be louder too if the harmonic bar that sits below the soundhole is also shifted upwards: it basically bars the upper portion of the top from participating in sound production. (IOW the vibrating part of the top might be bigger in the 14 fretter.)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 12-18-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidharma View Post
There seems to be a consistent improvement in quality at around $2000 and another one at $3k. Good luck!
If we start talking about those price ranges there is the Picado brand that shouldn't be overlooked. Hand-built to order in Spain, I *think* they do a crossover model as well. Even if not I doubt they would object to making a neck with a narrower nut and a radiused fretboard; neither are unheard-of in the CG world.

EDIT: $3k will also get you an Eastman Cabaret but of course those are made in China.

And I'd have a look at this thread.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. I went to a few different guitar centers and got to check out all of these models in some fashion. Absolutely love the feel of the hybrid neck. Unfortunately, besides the stage, they are the thickest bodied. So, I went ahead and ordered the fusion rosewood II because it has a slightly thinner body. I'm hoping the rosewood veneer on the solid top doesn't hurt the sound too much. I know it may be gimmicky, but I really love the look of hardwoods. I'm a furniture maker and I love collecting items from different wood species (you should see me Japanese knife collection!). To me a rosewood top veneer adds something special to the story of the guitar. Quality wise I think these fusions are absolutely worth $899. But, I'm not very experienced with the competition. I did get it for much less, so I know it's a great deal for me.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience @RJVB. I live in Ventura where Cordova's California factory is. I know some people that work there. They are great people and they say great things about the company and their efforts to keep customers happy. I'll post here how the fit and finish of my guitar looks out of the box. I'll also do a full setup and let you know what needed work.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:35 PM

Well I'm pretty impressed with this guitar! I don't know if it was set up at the factory or it's just the way they build them, but the action is super low without any buzz. I'm going to get some measurements at some point, but I don't see myself needing or wanting to lower it anymore. The bridge and the nut are nicely beveled, but still have just a bit of flat / edge for the strings to ring true. The frets are all very nicely rounded and I don't see any high or low frets when checking by eye.

I've only managed to find a few minor flaws. The finish on the soundboard in the sound hole is missing along the radius adjacent to the neck. There's a slight void where the banding meets at the tail, but it's filled with finish and smooth to the touch. The last minor issue is the fret board has some deep grain lines along the last few frets under the low e string.

My only other complaint is the body depth is incorrect on their website. The depth at the upper bout is 3.75 in and the lower bout is 4 in. On their website there's no depth listed for the upper bout and the lower bout is listed at 3.75 in. So, it's the same size body as the other fusion models. Not a huge deal, but I would have liked a little bit more narrow of a body. If I practice enough and the full size of this thing bothers me enough I might have to get one of those cadet models that @Rudy4 for mentioned.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Well I'm pretty impressed with this guitar! I don't know if it was set up at the factory or it's just the way they build them, but the action is super low without any buzz. I'm going to get some measurements at some point, but I don't see myself needing or wanting to lower it anymore. The bridge and the nut are nicely beveled, but still have just a bit of flat / edge for the strings to ring true. The frets are all very nicely rounded and I don't see any high or low frets when checking by eye.

I've only managed to find a few minor flaws. The finish on the soundboard in the sound hole is missing along the radius adjacent to the neck. There's a slight void where the banding meets at the tail, but it's filled with finish and smooth to the touch. The last minor issue is the fret board has some deep grain lines along the last few frets under the low e string.

My only other complaint is the body depth is incorrect on their website. The depth at the upper bout is 3.75 in and the lower bout is 4 in. On their website there's no depth listed for the upper bout and the lower bout is listed at 3.75 in. So, it's the same size body as the other fusion models. Not a huge deal, but I would have liked a little bit more narrow of a body. If I practice enough and the full size of this thing bothers me enough I might have to get one of those cadet models that @Rudy4 for mentioned.
I can't see the picture you posted for some reason. Is this the Cordoba model to which you are referring, Mr. Nasty? https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guita...on-12-rose-ii/
Old 12-26-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimata View Post
I can't see the picture you posted for some reason. Is this the Cordoba model to which you are referring, Mr. Nasty? https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guita...on-12-rose-ii/
Lol Mr. Nasty

Yes that's it.

I guess we can't link photos from imgur? https://imgur.com/a/LvWis9A
Old 12-26-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Lol Mr. Nasty

Yes that's it.

I guess we can't link photos from imgur? https://imgur.com/a/LvWis9A
Sure can!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical