The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Vintage Gibson Southern Jumbo

Seeking some wisdom. I found an old Gibson guitar for sale locally. She said it's a 1948 Gibson Flat Top. Serial #Y5230. From the looking I've done I think it's a 1953 Gibson Southern Jumbo based on the fretboard inlays. Tuners look silver, I'm assuming they were replaced??? She said the condition is 'fair' and 'playable'. I think it's a wife selling her late husbands guitar as she doesn't seem to know much about it. She is asking $3,000 for it.

I'm a novice when it comes to old guitars. Does $3,000 sound about right if it's in reasonable condition? Anything specific I should be looking for with this guitar.

I'd post pictures but I can't figure out how to on here...

I'm planning to go take a look at it later today. Just trying to do a little homework ahead of time. Thanks for any help
Old 01-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm not an expert on vintage guitars, but from what I have seen $3K would be a very good price for a 1948 Southern Jumbo depending on condition. Valuation for vintage instruments is heavily reliant on condition and originality.

If you are looking for a player at $3K I would focus on the following:

Is the top relatively flat?

How does the neck look? Twisting, warping, etc. can be essentially impossible to repair on some older guitars.

Are there any cracks? Have they been repaired? I would expect cracks on a 1948 SJ, particularly at this price. If they have been well repaired that wouldn't deter me.

If those things check out and you like the sound, I'd probably snatch it up for $3K and not worry about non-original tuners. If you were paying closer to top dollar you would want to look for things like overspray, finish originality, etc.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

About a year ago I got a 57 Country Western (real similar to a SJ) for
$4,600 or so and the luthier replaced some frets and some other stuff,
so $5,000 or so... I'm real happy having the guitar. I wouldn't mind having a
1950ish Southern Jumbo for $3,000, even if it needed a neck reset... sometimes
they've had the heck played out of them and all the sap wood is
gouged out of the top by picking... Guitars like that can still be
real good, but I'd probably avoid that...

-Mike
Old 01-19-2021, 11:51 AM

I own a '49 J-50, which is essentially the same guitar without the bling.

Here are a few things to watch out for:

1. Shaved bridge. Many older Gibsons and Martins, instead of getting a neck reset, had the bridge shaved down at some point to reveal more of the saddle. This produces a sub-optimal string break angle, reduces the power of the guitar, and leaves the bridge more susceptible to cracking. Gibson bridges of that era, generally, are not as tall as Martins. But if the height from the soundboard to the top of the saddle is less than 3/8", assume the bridge has been shaved, and factor a new bridge and probably an neck reset into the bargain.

2. Loose braces. The vast majority of old Gibsons have them, usually out at the tips. This is because the braces are unspeakably thin, and have a very small gluing surface. Again, not a deal breaker.

3. Chewed up bridge plate (or worse, replaced with something larger). Take some pictures of the bridge plate through the sound hole with your phone in selfie mode and the flash on. You should see the string ball ends sitting on the plate, not dug up into it.

4. Twisted neck. Sight down the neck and make sure it is straight. I would not buy one with a twisted neck. Also watch out for a hump in the fretboard where the neck and body join. A hump can be fixed by planing the fretboard, but all of the frets have to come off to do that.

5. Bad frets. Again, not a deal breaker, but consider $300 for a full refret.

6. Un-repaired cracks. The more there are, the less the guitar is worth.

7. Refinish or over-spray. A finish that is not original can really affect the guitar's value. A '53 SJ should have fine finish checking all over the guitar, and should have play wear that looks old. I would be wary of a guitar that is that old and doesn't look like it.

At $3000 for a '53 SJ, you have a lot of room for needed repairs before you are upside down on the guitar, financially.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:35 AM

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the help. Right or wrong I got it. I bought it from an 80 year old man who traded with the original owner for an original painting. Here's what I ended up with. https://imgur.com/a/cOzbGXA

I couldn't figure out how to post pics in this forum...

Last edited by mcj579; 01-20-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:51 AM

I think you did REALLY well! Looks like it will probably need a neck reset, but is otherwise a really solid guitar and in excellent condition for the age. I'm no expert on vintage Gibson prices, but I suspect even after factoring in a neck reset and any other likely repairs this was a a really good price.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattface View Post
I think you did REALLY well! Looks like it will probably need a neck reset, but is otherwise a really solid guitar and in excellent condition for the age. I'm no expert on vintage Gibson prices, but I suspect even after factoring in a neck reset and any other likely repairs this was a a really good price.
That guitar looks great ... even if it needs a neck reset (a few
hundred dollars) it is a GREAT buy.

I learned there's some luthiers who don't want to do neck resets
on old Gibsons, and some who can do it well. It is these "d heel"
ones that require a special technique...

-Mike
Old 01-20-2021, 08:44 AM

I think it's a steal! Well done. I would have gone $4000.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:24 AM

I have been playing old Gibsons for decades. At first it was out of necessity because I could not afford anything new. Later it was out of choice.

As you have already made the purchase no need for advice But I will join in with others and say $3K is a great price for a '53. SJ. Main difference between one built in the early-1950s compared to a guitar dating to the 1940s is that the later version will be heavier built. More than a few though find there is a magic to these guitars. The heavier builds were a result of Gibson being re-organized and re-tooled during the early-1950s bringing an end to the day when a part was considered finished when it looked "close enough." So the guitars are overall more consistent. I, as example, own a 1942 J50 and to call the bracing rough hewn would be a kindness.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:24 AM

GREAT price and a great looking SJ.
Congrats!!!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I'll give you $3300 right right now

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 01-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Dang....that looks like a sweet guitar..70 years young!!! Congrats and keep us up on how things turn out.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:23 PM

Looks good - certainly $3000 good.

Yes, the saddle looks a touch low so a neck-reset may be coming up but the purchase price comfortably allows for that.

Just the right amount of wear to give it a bit of character and so that you won't mind if you ding it, but not too much that it looks tired.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Wow, you scored. We all wish we were you right now!
Old 01-20-2021, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your help and confirmation that this was in fact a good deal. I intend to show my wife this thread when I get home. She wasn't as convinced that we needed another guitar laying around the house. Hopefully this will help😁.

I put new strings on it last night. I broke one when I was tuning it up at the guy's house so honestly I got to play it very little before I bought it. It sounds amazing. The b string does sound a little muted. I think it's something with how the strings are cut down through the saddle. I plan to bring it into a luthier and have them take a look, see about a neck reset. any recommendations for luthiers in Nebraska?

I'll record some audio from it and see if I can figure out how to post it on here. I'm far from being a great guitar player, but hopefully I can do enough to give you guys an idea of how it sounds. If only nice gear made you a good guitar player. 😂

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion