The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-19-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
That’s really interesting.
I’d enjoy seeing your work. Anyway to post photos of it?
I have friends and acquaintances who are wood workers. Their turned bowls and urns are really beautiful. I know a few who also make pens and furniture. They have amazing stashes of wood which, as a guitar geek, is always fun to explore.
I'd love to post some pics but I honestly don't know how on this forum. If anyone can give me a clue I'd give it a try.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:30 PM

Yes. I was an oil painter for many years, then mostly switched to sculpture.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Yes. I was an oil painter for many years, then mostly switched to sculpture.

Wow!
Fumei, you do wonderful work. Your sculptures are beautiful.
I find the first two images mesmerizing. What size paintings are these?
Thanks for sharing,
Tom
Old 01-19-2021, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Are cartoonists artists?

-Mike
Old 01-20-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Are cartoonists artists?

-Mike
Absosnoofely! I like your style. Ever think of doing some guitar cartoons?

Best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 01-20-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Absosnoofely! I like your style. Ever think of doing some guitar cartoons?

Best,

Rick

-Mike
Old 01-20-2021, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

I don't know as I call it art, but I write novels. The G&B Detective Agency series of detective crime novels. In the past I've written articles for an outdoor magazine and some trade magazines. I have not written a magazine article though for a decade or more.

My wife and I are also tap dancers, but there is no artfulness involved with my dancing. It is a leisure activity.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 01-20-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Artist amongst us?

Thanks for the replies.
My painting instructor and mentor is a wonderful guitarist as well. I’m trying to get him to join the forum.

My art work is fairly illustrative and I hope to improve my technique and vision substantially so that the paint itself will have a life to it beyond what it portrays. That specifically has been the steepest part of the learning curve for me.

I paint portraits, landscape, and still life. Often when I teach it involves accurate drawing and believable skin tones- so I end up painting lots of head studies as demos.

FLRon,
Don’t let color blindness keep you from exploring painting/ drawing. Color is secondary to value ( how light or dark something is) and shape. Many great landscapes are almost achromatic. All the great drawings are simply variations of gray shapes( graphite or charcoal ).

Here is a sampling of some of my work:
A head study for the following portrait

IMG_1611181402.688596.jpgIMG_1611181438.284751.jpg

A head study
IMG_1611181468.381720.jpg

Head study with a close up
IMG_1611181479.394653.jpgIMG_1611181485.896222.jpg

Landscapes
IMG_1611181502.053046.jpgIMG_1611181532.374950.jpgIMG_1611181546.861794.jpg

Still life
IMG_1611181563.716257.jpg

Larger portraits
IMG_1611181571.656294.jpgIMG_1611181577.563611.jpg

Last edited by TRose; 01-20-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I paint portraits, landscape, and still life.
I think that kind of stuff is incomprehensible.

-Mike "that's why I draw stick figures..."
Old 01-20-2021, 04:28 PM

I really can appreciate Norman Rockwell's skill at illustrating, him and the folks that compete every year for the painting that goes on the federal duck stamp. There just no question that those people are artists.

Fog
Old 01-20-2021, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Drums from the early '60s, guitar from late '60s, mando, Dobro etc, then in 1983 - everything stopped. I woke up in January paralysed,or at least any/every attempt at joint movement was agony.

Lymphatic sarcoidosis had to run its course, but I had begun an interest in photography - couldn't move but could read. I devoured books and magazines, studied the famous photographers, and saw the communication and language of the still image.

As my mobility slowly impproved, I bought the gear, and used it asca eason to take myself into the woods nearby. able to stop and rest when the pain and tiredness was too much. Later, I discovered an unsused darkroom at work, and started to print up my images. I joined the local club, and my stuff went down well, won lots of silver pots etc. They told me I should submit a panel of work to the Royal Photographic Society, and got the Associateship and then accepted requests to judge comps, exhibitions and give talks. Eventually awarded the FIAP gold Medal. Left the company in '93, which denied me the darkroom, Got the D35 down from its ten years banishment in the attic.

I'd like to find a way to show my prints again, but rephotograhing mono prints is such a challenge.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Drums from the early '60s, guitar from late '60s, mando, Dobro etc, then in 1983 - everything stopped. I woke up in January paralysed,or at least any/every attempt at joint movement was agony.

Lymphatic sarcoidosis had to run its course, but I had begun an interest in photography - couldn't move but could read. I devoured books and magazines, studied the famous photographers, and saw the communication and language of the still image.

As my mobility slowly impproved, I bought the gear, and used it asca eason to take myself into the woods nearby. able to stop and rest when the pain and tiredness was too much. Later, I discovered an unsused darkroom at work, and started to print up my images. I joined the local club, and my stuff went down well, won lots of silver pots etc. They told me I should submit a panel of work to the Royal Photographic Society, and got the Associateship and then accepted requests to judge comps, exhibitions and give talks. Eventually awarded the FIAP gold Medal. Left the company in '93, which denied me the darkroom, Got the D35 down from its ten years banishment in the attic.

I'd like to find a way to show my prints again, but rephotograhing mono prints is such a challenge.

SillyM,
I’d enjoy seeing some of your work.
Sincerely
Tom
Old 01-20-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Wow!
Fumei, you do wonderful work. Your sculptures are beautiful.
I find the first two images mesmerizing. What size paintings are these?
Thanks for sharing,
Tom
The first one is called Embryonic Orbit and is 22" x 28". I painted it when my wife had breast cancer.

The second is called Mermaid Meditation and is 36" X 48". When the mermaid makes the decision to leave the water, at the moment of her first breathe on land, every step she takes is walking on razors. So I really hope she thinks real hard, and meditates on her decision. The painting is my thought on that actual moment when she takes that first breathe and moves from the water world (the blueish center) to the earth world (brownish rest of the image).

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-20-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
My painting instructor and mentor is a wonderful guitarist as well. I’m trying to get him to join the forum.

My art work is fairly illustrative and I hope to improve my technique and vision substantially so that the paint itself will have a life to it beyond what it portrays. That specifically has been the steepest part of the learning curve for me.

I paint portraits, landscape, and still life. Often when I teach it involves accurate drawing and believable skin tones- so I end up painting lots of head studies as demos.

FLRon,
Don’t let color blindness keep you from exploring painting/ drawing. Color is secondary to value ( how light or dark something is) and shape. Many great landscapes are almost achromatic. All the great drawings are simply variations of gray shapes( graphite or charcoal ).
Now I get to ask. How large are those "larger portraits"?? And oh, I totally agree with the comment re: color blind-ness. Color IS secondary to value, at least I think so. One of the best paintings (IMO) I ever did used two colors. A blue and a brown. And, OK, some white, but that was it. Oh, it is 32" X 40". Oil. That baby is now 42 years old. The second image is of her at 28.

Last edited by fumei; 01-20-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Fumei,
Again, your work is fantastic.

The larger portraits are 36x48 and 27x59.
Though it’s true that color is completely secondary your use of it is captivating.
Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic