The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 05:46 AM

Delighted with my Waterloo wlk. Also heard many good things about their wls standard and delux but sadly haven’t been able to play one yet.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

mmm, I might have missed this somewhere, but shouldn't we be asking WHY you (the op) wants a "12 fret" guitar?

This was, and still is, my answer.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:48 AM

. . . out there somewhere. And if you have an unlimited budget and the time to play every one available in the world, you'll find it.

Best, of course, meaning most satisfying to your ears for your needs. It's no easy process to find the best.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
mmm, I might have missed this somewhere, but shouldn't we be asking WHY you (the op) wants a "12 fret" guitar?

This was, and still is, my answer.

I'll answer the question:

I come from Puerto Rico, which is a territory of the US; but the culture, obviously, has the influence of Spain, among other countries. And in terms of guitars, nylon string guitars are de "de facto" guitars, since Latin American popular and folk music use classical guitars much more than steel string guitars (unless you play at church or play rock and Top 40 music, for which steel strings are the way to go). So I've been playing nylon string guitars as much as steel stringers (I use steel for church and studio recording most of the time and nylon for more traditional music as well as teaching), I'm very used to the wider nutwidth, the 12-fret setting and balanced tone of classicals and no matter how beat up and bad a classical is, I don't have problems with the feel of them. But never played a 12-fret steel string guitar until I got my Ovation Folklore. And a whole new world was discovered. This Ovation Folklore has been the absolute easiest guitar for me to play since. . . forever, even easier than my 414ce, and that's saying a lot, since the Taylor is veeeeeeeery easy on my hands. It has an almost perfectly balanced tone across the strings and the frets, the intonation is on spot and its resonance is outstanding. And let's not start about the plugged in tone!

The thing is that the Ovation tone, for some (particularly at the studio), is an acquired taste, and I'd love to have a "wood" alternative to the Folklore.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 01-19-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Wouldn't a 14 fret and a capo be more versatile?
That would give the feel of a 12 fret but would not put the bridge in the sweet spot on the guitar top so the sound would be different.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:43 AM

I have 2 12 fretters.
A 71 martin d28s and a rainsong
Shorty. The martin is for sale.
I like 12 fretters but prefer
The cutaway models.
So the martin doesnt get played
That much.
The positioning of the bridge
Is what gives them that nice tone.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:52 AM

For the price, I don't see how you could beat a 000-15m or sm.

They really nail that classic Martin tone. Plus you could probably nab a used one for around $1000.

scott
Old 01-19-2021, 09:56 AM

Eric Skye’s SCGC 12-fret 00 (with Eric playing it).
Old 01-19-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27R View Post
I'm a fan of the Taylor GC 12-fretters. Loads of different wood combinations and I've not yet found any sounds in any of them that are not usable. They are the least typically-Taylor-sounding guitars in Taylor's stable, which is funny considering I like them the best.

Given the choice and everything else being roughly equal I prefer the old X-braced ones to the V-class ones but it's also not absolutely night-and-day - if I were out shopping and I found a V-class that absolutely sung then I wouldn't hesitate.
Agree wholeheartedly. X-braced Taylor 12-fretters are the best guitars they ever made IMO. There's something about the placement of the bridge in the lower bout that really rounds out the tone in a pleasing way with excellent midrange.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

It took several years and more guitars than I can remember, but, due to old MX injuries, I have settled on small (00-000) body 12 fret guitars. I am fortunate to own a 2020 custom Huss and Dalton 000 12 fret and an X braced 2016 Taylor 322e 12 fret. Both are incredibly easy to play with unique voices.

Depending on your likes and budget there are many great choices available. I am lucky to have found mine and at this point in my life, I do not see either one going anywhere.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-19-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
For the price, I don't see how you could beat a 000-15m or sm.

They really nail that classic Martin tone. Plus you could probably nab a used one for around $1000.

scott
This^^^^^^^^^. But there really isn't a best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion