The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2021, 04:01 PM

Default Saddle for DADGAD?

Hi all - I just got a new X20 and have it in to my local guitar tech for a setup because of a few slight issues with DADGAD tuning and intonation. Does anyone know if Emerald can supply a new saddle that is specifically designed for DADGAD tuning?

Secondly, we seem to have a sympathetic tone as well (not sure if it is a wolf tone or not). What suggestions do you have for addressing this issue? Right now, he is using painters low-stick tape to try holding the pickup wires to the guitar body or something like that...

Thanks,
Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 01-02-2021, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
Hi all - I just got a new X20 and have it in to my local guitar tech for a setup because of a few slight issues with DADGAD tuning and intonation. Does anyone know if Emerald can supply a new saddle that is specifically designed for DADGAD tuning?
Not that I’ve heard of - typically this would be a job for you or your tech, who should be able to set it up for the specific strings you want to use.

My 2018 X20 functions quite well with the stock saddle in open D and D’Addario Nickel Bronze lights - I haven’t encountered any intonation issues, but then I could have cloth ears

Quote:
Secondly, we seem to have a sympathetic tone as well (not sure if it is a wolf tone or not). What suggestions do you have for addressing this issue? Right now, he is using painters low-stick tape to try holding the pickup wires to the guitar body or something like that...
There was a long running thread here last year about ‘wolf tones’. I don’t recall the outcome, but you might want to search for it. Can you describe what you’re hearing?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-02-2021, 11:18 PM

There are three issues with the tone...first, is intonation up the neck in DADGAD...it goes sharp. Interestingly, if we tune to standard, the intonation is OK. The second issue is a low string sympathetic vibration that is like a hum. Finally, the high D (E) string seems more "tinny or brassy" than the other strings. These are subtle, except for the intonation....but not something I expected in a new Emerald.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 01-03-2021, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are three issues with the tone...first, is intonation up the neck in DADGAD...it goes sharp. Interestingly, if we tune to standard, the intonation is OK. The second issue is a low string sympathetic vibration that is like a hum. Finally, the high D (E) string seems more "tinny or brassy" than the other strings. These are subtle, except for the intonation....but not something I expected in a new Emerald.

Are you using normal light gauge strings? My guess would be that the light gauge strings, when tuned down a whole step are more likely to bend more, thereby going out of tune, and also to sound thinner at the lower tension. It's very common when using DADGAD to use a heavier 1st, 2nd, and perhaps 6th string to compensate for this. Nothing to do with Emerald, I do this with any guitar. I don't have an Emerald, but perhaps something about the frets makes this more noticeable, if you haven't encountered it with other guitars. Just a wild guess.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

The saddles come from GrafTech. They do show "blanks" which can then be custom shaped. Do need to make sure is interchangeably with the ones they supply for Emerald.

The new adjustable saddle configuration they are now offering would be the ideal way to go. I've had discussions with them about this very issue in considering a guitar. If your guitar is still in the window perhaps a return and a replacement with the new adjustable bridge might be possible.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 01-03-2021, 06:41 AM

+1 on what Doug Young is talking about. There are string sets that are called "True Medium" or "New Medium" that use medium gauge for the E,A, and low e and lights for the rest, they are designed for DADGAD tuning.

As for intonation, the biggest issue is the G and A strings. They're tuned only a whole step apart but are two different gauges. I think this is why some guitars use a split saddle to get the intonation corrected.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:15 AM

The first thing I did was to replace the original strings with the true medium strings. That helped some. My guitar tech told me yesterday that the saddle is very loose in the bridge slot and is leaning forward when under pressure. He may cut a new saddle for it and do the compensation necessary. But, it surprised me that it was worse than other Emeralds I have. My X30 did not have a similar problem and my X7 has heavy strings on it to make it work well in DADGAD. I'll let you know what happens next.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
....it surprised me that it was worse than other Emeralds I have. My X30 did not have a similar problem....
There has been some atypical variability of set ups over the last couple of years. Emerald output has been growing and whoever does the final setup seems to vary. My December 2019 X30 was way too low and buzzed terribly, no matter how softly it was played. The saddle was shimmed up, then replaced. My latest X20 that arrived in early November 2020 had the nut rather poorly cut, and I've taken two passes to get it close to the older guitars. So far I have made the nut slots forty thousandths deeper to get decent playability. I'm not a pro at it but I do all of my own set ups.

Your tech should be able to set it up and compensate for DADGAD tuning using a specific string type. It might then be be a little off for standard tuning, but probably not by much.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:39 AM

Earl49 - did you have any concerns about voiding your warranty by doing your own modifications?
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 01-03-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My guitar tech told me yesterday that the saddle is very loose in the bridge slot and is leaning forward when under pressure.
That should affect the intonation regardless of the tuning. Maybe it's just easier to notice in DADGAD.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Earl49 - did you have any concerns about voiding your warranty by doing your own modifications?
The only modifications I have done - so far - are deepening the nut slots to where they should have been initially, and changing strings. That involved careful measurements of my other Emerald guitars to get clearances and then duplicating those with feeler gauges used as depth stops to file against. I see no issue there. No warranty ever covers setups. A qualified set-up pro would blast through this process in 30 minutes, but I took a lot of time and spent four hours on two iterations. Measure thrice, cut once. This Stew-Mac page should describe what I did. https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...lot-depth.html

Besides, any warranty work done by Emerald would entail shipping the guitar back to Ireland, which would cost about $225 round trip. No builder covers shipping both ways, even for justified warranty work. It would take a substantial build defect to be worth shipping back, at which point I would probably ask for a refund/replacement anyway.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

No wonder I have trouble playing DADGAD songs....I got the wrong saddle. LOL Interesting info though...thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber