The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-20-2020, 10:42 PM

As my wife once sagely put it: “Gene Roddenberry’s work went decidedly downhill after he died”. I liked TNG better than the original, was lukewarm about DS9 but it grew on me a bit in reruns, never watched Voyager with any regularity, and have seen maybe a half-dozen Enterprise episodes in total. I have seen all of the movies. A local high-number channel reruns all of the series and has been showing the movies lately.

Discovery is a bit too dark and overdone, with choppy seizure-inducing cuts between scenes and camera angles, but I’ve only seen the few episodes that have been broadcast. I don’t do streaming.... I keep wishing the captions for the Klingon dialogue were easier to read against the background and stayed on screen just a little longer.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

STTNG is my fave of the lot although I'll admit that I haven't watched much of any of the others. I tried to go back recently and watch TNG again from start but found it to be on the cheesy side so now if I go back at all it's just to watch a favorite episode or two here and there.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:28 AM

As far as I'm concerned Star Trek died in 1991 with Roddenberry. Ever since then it's been reinterpretations of the brand.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:05 AM

Grew up on TOS and I'm currently binge watching it now. In the 80s I'll admit I turned my nose up at TNG and came to love it now can't decide which is my favorite, TNG or the original series? Next comes Voyager which I like a lot. Never got into DS9. However during the pandemic I decided to binge watch the entire series. Still not a favorite but my respect for it really grew and there are some episodes I really like. Never cared much for Enterprise. I really liked Picard. I like Discovery but haven't seen the current season yet. Love all of the movies...even the Kelvin era films.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I'm only vaguely familiar with the original series from when I was a kid. And I've wondered for several decades exactly where Kirk was getting his penicillin.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I'm only vaguely familiar with the original series from when I was a kid. And I've wondered for several decades exactly where Kirk was getting his penicillin.
Kirk was your typical 23rd century space sailor. What do you expect?
Old 12-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So I watched the entire series.

The last episode was totally unacceptable. ....
Game of Thrones was the largest watched series in history and the season finale was so bad and hated most people were stunned and outraged, and the whole enthusiasm and post fan activity just stopped.....fans couldn't even acknowledge they were fany anymore.

Supernatural is a cult favorite and beloved show of 15 seasons, with deep, deep, complex characters, backstories and subplots. The finale was so lame and absolutely a non-event. One of the main actors said how much he hated it. It is the lowest ranked episode of all.

I still remember the finale of MASH and The Bob Newhart Show. That's how you make a finale!

The quality of finale-writing has really vanished.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Game of Thrones was the largest watched series in history and the season finale was so bad and hated most people were stunned and outraged, and the whole enthusiasm and post fan activity just stopped.....fans couldn't even acknowledge they were fany anymore.

Supernatural is a cult favorite and beloved show of 15 seasons, with deep, deep, complex characters, backstories and subplots. The finale was so lame and absolutely a non-event. One of the main actors said how much he hated it. It is the lowest ranked episode of all.

I still remember the finale of MASH and The Bob Newhart Show. That's how you make a finale!

I think the problem with a lot of shows is that there never is a planned finale - they just keep going until someone pulls the plug leaving the writers to finish it off with no budget and very little motivation.

Agree about M*A*S*H - that was a very powerful and haunting finale. A more recent 'good' final episode that comes to mind is Six Feet Under. Not so good was Dexter but that's coming back so not a final episode after all........

YouTube
Old 12-22-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Oh No. Season 15 of Supernatural is now on Amazon Prime Canada so I started watching it last night. Fantastic series. I've watched S1-S14. I couldn't get into S14 though. Not sure if it's because I wasn't in the mood when I watched it (hotel room traveling for work) or if it just wasn't a good season.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm a late bloomer to all things Star Trek but have watched all of TNG and Voyager. Enjoyed them both. I have most likely watched all of the original series over the course of catching a show here and there. I like most of the DS9 episodes and recently have begun watching Enterprise and Discovery. I admit that I actually enjoy the darkness of Discovery. It adds an element of fear and urgency that the others may have lacked.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm watching Voyager now. After that I plan in watching TNG from episode 1 to the end.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

The Finales of Voyager and STNG were pretty good IMO.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
The Finales of Voyager and STNG were pretty good IMO.
The finale to Voyager was intense.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I thought that Voyager's finale was excellent. I always wanted to see a movie made following the end of the Voyager series, but it never happened.

My favorite Original series movie was Star Trek IV, the journey home. Love the story line, and the humor.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Agree that both Voyager and TNG had very good finales. I just watched the Voyager finale recently, having caught it on DVR by accident. These days most of my TV is old reruns. A fictional 24th century is less disturbing and more hopeful than watching contemporary events and TV.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic