The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-12-2020, 09:56 AM

Default Scary fishing scam

I get a txt from a 5 digit number that is one of those codes to reset your password. It said it was from my bank where I keep my retirement savings. It mentioned my bank by name. A few minutes later, another one came in. Then a 3rd.

5 minutes later I get a call from a 1 800 number. I didn't answer it. They left a message "this is so and so from xyz bank. I'm calling to follow up on that 1 time wire transfer you requested. Please call us back at 1 800......" The voice was very professional and it sounded completely legit.

Now the crazy part about this is my bank is not a mainstream bank. How did they know I had an account there? I immediately called my bank. They did a security check and everything was ok. Nobody had tried to log onto my account, but this would have been so easy to fall for.

Just wanted to pass it along in case somebody else gets this stuff showing up on their phone.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:30 AM

This is one reason that I avoid on-line banking despite that it would be convenient for me at times. With no electronic access to my accounts, I know for sure that such messages are spam or phishing attempts. In the same way that I get a dozen spam emails a day about my non-existent Paypal account "being limited" or other similar phrasing. It's hard to hack an account that does not exist.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:39 AM

About a year ago I got an amazingly authentic looking email from my bank. (?)
Not.
It looked very real and professional with bank logo and everything.
Telling me my online banking access was frozen due to suspicious behavior.
I was to log into my account via the links in the email to continue.
I almost did.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

For this reason I never go through email. Or do any business from any wifi except my home wifi. I don't follow any email instructions concerning anything to do with sensitive accounts or involving money. If I get a notification that is convincing I will go to the site through my normal procedure. If the email was on the up and up the site will notify you once you are on it. In this way you know you're not being scammed.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM

There are several misunderstandings here including how a premises visit to your bank and handling paper or using paper in the mail can be attack vectors.

You can choose to not do online banking but that can't fix poor hygiene and systems management on the part of the bank. That can't stop many ways to get your account number and information about you.

You need to understand multi-factor authentication even if that's an old fashioned you call the bank back or visit the bank if they initiated the conversation or transaction. If you use your bank's vetted app and your patched first tier and up to date phone with good security you are probably as secure as it can get.

If you use an authenticator schema or even your Apple face ID with your bank app you are probably doing banking as safe as it can get. Not just technically, but the chances of a car accident at your desk are slim. Depending on where you are, same for staying healthy.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
If I get a notification that is convincing I will go to the site through my normal procedure. If the email was on the up and up the site will notify you once you are on it. In this way you know you're not being scammed.
THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

Never click on the links in an email. If you think it's legit, just use your normal channels (bookmark, app etc.) to get into your account. You'll be notified of any real issues there.

Quote:
I get a txt from a 5 digit number that is one of those codes to reset your password. It said it was from my bank where I keep my retirement savings. It mentioned my bank by name. A few minutes later, another one came in. Then a 3rd
Multiple messages is also a red flag. If I get more than one, the alarms start going off in the back of my head. They just get a hold of lists of accounts somewhere and start blasting spam messages indiscriminately, hoping a few will fall for it. That's why you get multiple messages, and how they "know" you have an account there (hint: they really don't).
Old 11-12-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
This is one reason that I avoid on-line banking despite that it would be convenient for me at times. With no electronic access to my accounts, I know for sure that such messages are spam or phishing attempts. In the same way that I get a dozen spam emails a day about my non-existent Paypal account "being limited" or other similar phrasing. It's hard to hack an account that does not exist.
I use online banking. I do not get many phishing emails specific to my bank, but when I do, it is clear that they do not come from my bank, because my bank does not use regular email to contact me about issues with my account.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I use online banking almost exclusively. I don't think it is fraught with traps and pitfalls like some do. In fact, I feel a lot more secure because I can be on top of everything in a moment from wherever I happen to be. I monitor everything. The only time anyone ever, in probably sixty years of banking, five years ago someone cashed a check for two thousand bucks on my account. The number on the check was randomly generated and just happened to be mine. It was caught and rectified by the bank in a matter of hours. But the thing is, in this age of technology someone walked into a bank in Kansas City with a physical check and cashed it on my account. I have a copy of it printed out that I keep.

So don't think you are safe just because you don't do online banking. By the way, the reason they caught it so quick, the fellow in the bank's fraud division said that a computer along the line flagged it because I had not written a physical check in three years so it was an unusual transaction.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 11-12-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Like rllink points out I get notifications of transactions on my phone. I can stop any transactions. If I move money in my retirement account I have a period of time to stop it. I have to have my phone to get into some accounts even if I am using my computer at home. They send me a short term number to use to enter my accounts. The number is no good after fifteen minutes. When I buy groceries my phone beeps before the groceries are in the car. They notified me on a credit card transaction that wasn't mine. I flagged it with no problem. Though I did have to wait a couple of days to get a new card.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-13-2020, 07:24 AM

My wife got a phone message that her credit card was compromised and she should call a certain 800 number. I told her don't ever call the number they left, always call the number on your bill or the actual card. It's a common scam.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:12 AM

These scams don't know where you bank, or who you are. They just send out thousands of random messages knowing they will hit someone who fits the target criteria. As everyone suggests, you do right by going to the bank by known avenues and never click on a link via email or text etc.

Last year my bank sent an email highlighting the dangers of scam emails and what to look for. They said they would never send emails asking for personal details so I should not respond to such messages. They finished off by saying 'For more information on our security procedures click here'

I went to the bank via my account and as I suspected, the email was from them and legitimate. I emailed them pointing out the flaw of including a link button in an email telling me not to click on such things and asked 'Isn't this just how the scammers would operate?' but the bank didn't seem to understand where I was coming from.

YouTube
Old 11-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

Never click on the links in an email.
Well said.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:50 PM

Default online banking

I feel online is safer now compared to a few years ago. Now when I log in there is a second step verification, a code is sent to my cell phone or email. A different bank is set up with Q and A that was initiated in my account some time ago. Questions like "what was your grand fathers profession?" or what is the middle name of your oldest sibling?" I love the convenience of direct deposit using a card in stores. I keep a $20 in my wallet just in case.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

There are so many ways that a phishing scam can gain knowledge of where you bank, but they don't have access to your accounts or passwords, which is what they're trying to obtain with their false email or text. As mentioned, never click on these, no matter how authentic they seem. Call your credit card or bank directly, or log on independently to their website (not the phishing link). Glad you didn't fall for it!
Old 11-13-2020, 05:48 PM

my brother and cousin are avid fishermen; i opened this thread thinking i needed to warn them about something (and to satisfy my curiosity about what would constitute a fishing scam).

so, i guess i fell for this phishing fishing scam.

dang it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic