The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmccamey View Post
You are taking things too literally. Do they make "the same - equivalent - same or similar design, materials, woods, build construction" guitar in a 12 fret and 14 fret configuration? Apparently, based on other posts, Taylor and Larrivee do.
"Identical" was the term that you used in your OP. I assumed that you meant what you wrote.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
I don't think you got the point of the thread. Of course they'd be different. He means that a particular model can come in a 14-fret string and a 12-fret setting. And Taylor has that option.
No, I answered the question that he asked. 12 and 14 fret guitars can not be identical. And even if the bodies are identical, the necessary change in the position of the bridge AND the then necessary change in the bracing because of it is going to change the sonic characteristics of the guitar. I had a long conversation with a builder of a bespoke guitar that he used the same body for 12, 13 and 14 fret guitars on exactly this subject.

That you don't like my answer does not make it any less accurate.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Generally when a 12 feet is built
They move the bridge back
To a more central location
On the guitars top. Producing
A more rounded tone.
This is what enamoured me
to 12 fretters. Add a cutaway
And access to more frets
Makes these guitars more playable.
I own 3 acoustics. 2 are 12 frets.
Actually there is a second method: the body may be extended out further to meet at the 12th fret instead of the 14th. Which makes the body longer and incidentally allows for a longer bass wave inside the box, producing more bass bias. Martin, when they first started building 14 fretters did this process in reverse, squashing the shoulders of their existing 12 fret models down to the 14th fret.

And nothing precludes a builder from using a mix of the two methods.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:54 PM

My apologies. I assumed, incorrectly, readers would understand the focus of the question was to discuss differences in tone and volume based on the basic geometry differences in a 12 fret and 14 fret guitar, holding everything else as similar as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
"Identical" was the term that you used in your OP. I assumed that you meant what you wrote.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
No, I answered the question that he asked. 12 and 14 fret guitars can not be identical. And even if the bodies are identical, the necessary change in the position of the bridge AND the then necessary change in the bracing because of it is going to change the sonic characteristics of the guitar. I had a long conversation with a builder of a bespoke guitar that he used the same body for 12, 13 and 14 fret guitars on exactly this subject.

That you don't like my answer does not make it any less accurate.

You didn't get it
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion