The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Is that Payette Lake?? Sure reminds me of it....
Pend Oreille.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-21-2020, 10:42 AM

12/23/2020 is my last day at the office. My contractual arrangement (I'm an insurance agent) dictates that I sell my accounts back to the company so they may reassign them to my successor so the business will be automatically sold so no worries there.

We have a beach house rented on Padre Island TX for Jan/Feb so will get out of the Illinois winter and plan to do that annually.

Leaving behind the relationships with clients will be sad for sure. This is not a big town so I'll see many of those folks around town so that will help the separation anxiety to some extent.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm 68, have worked in some capacity since I was 14. I had a massive cancer scare in 2018 and had my right leg amputated because of it. Adapting to the handicapped life has been a struggle but it gets a little better as time goes on.

I'm back in a band after a long hiatus. We are acoustic, have a lot of fun and people seem to have a good time when we play. We aren't a threat to the Eagles if you get my drift but what the heck we enjoy it.

So the time is getting short to when I'll officially be retired. Can't wipe the smile off my face
Old 11-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Guest 33123

I'm 8 years away (I'm 48) and my wife plan on retiring together, maybe even on the same day! Still a ways away so it remains a carrot-on-a-stick for me for now.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
...So the time is getting short to when I'll officially be retired. Can't wipe the smile off my face
Good for you. Enjoy your new life......
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Sorry to hear about that. But it sounds like you have a fantastic positive attitude in general. Keep on keeping on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I had a massive cancer scare in 2018 and had my right leg amputated because of it. Adapting to the handicapped life has been a struggle but it gets a little better as time goes on.

I'm back in a band after a long hiatus. We are acoustic, have a lot of fun and people seem to have a good time when we play. We aren't a threat to the Eagles if you get my drift but what the heck we enjoy it.

So the time is getting short to when I'll officially be retired. Can't wipe the smile off my face

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 11-21-2020, 07:38 PM

My suggestion for anyone planning for retirement, is to plan and book a big trip (if we get to do that again) for immediately after the day you retire. That way you commit to leaving your job (and not backing out), but you dont feel immediately adrift. Europe, Hawaii, a cruise or someplace you've always wanted to go.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

When I was planning to marry my longtime sweetheart and move into her empty nest (eventually) in my early 60s, I had a big, old, cluttered house I needed to sell first. And I realized that prepping for the sale had been hanging like a millstone around my neck for 4-5 depressing years. I finally rationalized that working 40 hours a week (plus 10 extra hours getting ready, decompressing and commuting) was my major obstacle to moving forward.

So I retired and got busy with 50 new hours a week and a central mission. Spent a month filling a dumpster and repairing things, showed my house to numerous realtors and got the thing done. How extremely liberating it was!

Leading up to this epiphany (not Epiphone), my job had become a real chore and I'd had adequate resources for awhile to pull the plug. But still I continued to plod along. Creatures of habit, the Classic American Career Profile tends to keep us in the yoke (whether a job is wonderful, hateful or just "meh"). Having something to look FORWARD to was all it took - to bust a move and make it happen at age 62.

Of course, your circumstances will vary from mine a little or a lot. But if my story rings a bell, give it some thought. Something worthwhile in your future to replace the ongoing chore of pushing somebody else's wheel up a hill for 2080 hours/year might be all it takes to slip the leash and run free!

CAVEAT:
Be warned. Not a day goes by that I'm not doing something here with a paintbrush, wrench, voltmeter, sander, saw or hammer. Or guitar.

During your next few weeks/months at work, ask yourself. What could I be doing/enjoying instead of this?

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-22-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 11-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Planning to marry my longtime sweetheart and move into her empty nest (eventually) in my early 60s, I had a big, old, cluttered house I needed to sell first. And I realized that prepping for the sale had been hanging like a millstone around my neck for 4-5 depressing years. I finally rationalized that working 40 hours a week (plus 10 extra hours getting ready, decompressing and commuting) was my major obstacle to moving forward.

So I retired and got busy with 50 new hours a week and a central mission. Spent a month filling a dumpster and repairing things, showed my house to numerous realtors and got the thing done. How extremely liberating it was!

Leading up to this epiphany (not Epiphone), my job had become a real chore and I'd had adequate resources for awhile to pull the plug. But still I continued to plod along. Creatures of habit, the Classic American Career Profile tends to keep us in the yoke (whether a job is wonderful, hateful or just "meh"). Having something to look FORWARD to was all it took - to bust a move and make it happen at age 62.

Of course, your circumstances will vary from mine a little or a lot. But if my story rings a bell, give it some thought. Something worthwhile in your future to replace the ongoing chore of pushing somebody else's wheel up a hill for 2080 hours/year might be all it takes to slip the leash and run free!

CAVEAT:
Be warned. Not a day goes by that I'm not doing something here with a paintbrush, wrench, voltmeter, sander, saw or hammer. Or guitar.

During your next few weeks/months at work, ask yourself. What could I be doing/enjoying instead of this?
nailed it.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:46 AM

Anyone contemplating retirement should invest the time to read the attached summary of the challenges:

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ969555.pdf
Old 11-23-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

A good friend of mine just turned 60 and will retire (very well) from industrial plumbing this week, Thanksgiving eve. He has a huge family and dozens of hobbies including free guitar lessons from me (I retired 3 years ago at 62), so he'll never be idle. But he confesses he's "excited and nervous" as he steps into the unknown.

I told him that after I taught myself 5-6 guitar chords at age 12, I never planned to live past 27 anyway. So this is all just a bizarre surprise to me.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-24-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:48 PM

74, self-employed and I love what I do. I can afford to retire and have things to keep me interested in life, but have always felt we each need to give back to mankind as long as we are capable. At 92, my mother did Habitat for Humanity projects. I think that way too. My job is how I do it now.

My wife regrets that I do not have the time to travel like she'd (we'd?) like. She deserves this from me, but I have trouble taking off for more than 10 days or at most 2 weeks because of obligations to clients and customers. Anyone want a part-time second career?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Anyone contemplating retirement should invest the time to read the attached summary of the challenges:

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ969555.pdf
A useful and well founded article. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
74, self-employed and I love what I do. I can afford to retire and have things to keep me interested in life, but have always felt we each need to give back to mankind as long as we are capable. At 92, my mother did Habitat for Humanity projects. I think that way too. My job is how I do it now.

My wife regrets that I do not have the time to travel like she'd (we'd?) like. She deserves this from me, but I have trouble taking off for more than 10 days or at most 2 weeks because of obligations to clients and customers. Anyone want a part-time second career?
If you don't mind me asking, what is your job? And I totally agree about the giving back point, even while we are working.

Generally speaking, I can see self-employed people sticking with work longer (labor of love), especially if it's a job, where they can influence how busy they are vs. a company employee, whose job (what they do, how busy they are) is determined solely by someone else.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:20 AM

Congrats! It's time to play some guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic