The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Ns42ce what ya think?

I'm looking at one tonight wandering if anyone here has owned or played one.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I had one and loved it. I preferred my NS44ce, but it's a sweet hybrid. But it's also a hybrid and should be seen as such.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Musical minimalist

for me, the Taylor NS series just don't seem to be built lightly enough to perform tonally up to what I've become accustomed to. I can't play the narrower 1 7/8 nut's string spacing either, but that's obviously personal preference.
I think they are more suited to plugging in that playing acoustically....so if that's what you are after, it may be your answer!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Around 3 years ago I decided I wanted a nylon string guitar to complement my two steel strings. Sam Ash had just got in an NS-32 and an NS-42. I tried them both and although I liked them both, I thought the 42 had a nicer sound. Both had a fantastic feel and playability.

However, this turned out to be the only occasion when I've let a sales rep influence my purchasing choice. He had some all-solid wood Raimundo classicals in. These were cedar and rosewood, also electric acoustic, beautiful-looking and beautiful-sounding. And even with the case, it was still less than the Taylor.

I came home with the Raimundo and within not too long a time the high action, the 2" nut width, and the tree-trunk neck were driving me crazy. I ended up selling it, but, as the fates would have it, the NS-42 was out of production!

So, it sounds tempting to me. The 42s are few and far between now. I also have to disagree with the person who preferred the 44. I subsequently bought one of these, but I found it too big for a nylon stringed instrument. It lacks the comfort and intimacy of the 42 and it is also a bit underwhelming acoustically for such a large guitar. That one went up for sale.

Coincidentally, I have an NS-72 on order right now. If the 42s had still been around I may well have gone for one.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I have an NS32CE. I bought it 5 or 6 years ago, and I'm moderately happy with it. I couldn’t tell the difference in sound between the 32 and the 42.

I like the Taylors because they are easier for me to play than an proper classical, and that's important to me, as I have arthritis to contend with. That's the reason I got the 12 fret model instead of a 14 fret model, also.

Mike

Last edited by jmiked; 04-11-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: tamned dypos
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Around 3 years ago I decided I wanted a nylon string guitar to complement my two steel strings. Sam Ash had just got in an NS-32 and an NS-42. I tried them both and although I liked them both, I thought the 42 had a nicer sound. Both had a fantastic feel and playability.

However, this turned out to be the only occasion when I've let a sales rep influence my purchasing choice. He had some all-solid wood Raimundo classicals in. These were cedar and rosewood, also electric acoustic, beautiful-looking and beautiful-sounding. And even with the case, it was still less than the Taylor.

I came home with the Raimundo and within not too long a time the high action, the 2" nut width, and the tree-trunk neck were driving me crazy. I ended up selling it, but, as the fates would have it, the NS-42 was out of production!

So, it sounds tempting to me. The 42s are few and far between now. I also have to disagree with the person who preferred the 44. I subsequently bought one of these, but I found it too big for a nylon stringed instrument. It lacks the comfort and intimacy of the 42 and it is also a bit underwhelming acoustically for such a large guitar. That one went up for sale.

Coincidentally, I have an NS-72 on order right now. If the 42s had still been around I may well have gone for one.
I am pretty sure that once you get that NS-72 in your hands, you will no longer regret not buying that NS-42. When will you be receiving it?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I am pretty sure that once you get that NS-72 in your hands, you will no longer regret not buying that NS-42. When will you be receiving it?
The date has been put back a bit. It should have been here mid-April but from the latest report it seems more likely now at the end of the month. I can't wait!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
The date has been put back a bit. It should have been here mid-April but from the latest report it seems more likely now at the end of the month. I can't wait!
Any experience with the NS-62? These are beautiful guitars in both looks and sound. I only wish they came with maple necks to match the body. I have seen a you tube of a female singer/songwriter playing one with a maple neck. I guess she had it custom made. I reall enjoyed my NS-6 but could not get passed the barndoor electronics and the look of the mahogany neck. My NS-6 even smelled good. Smelled like vanilla pudding.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Any experience with the NS-62? These are beautiful guitars in both looks and sound. I only wish they came with maple necks to match the body. I have seen a you tube of a female singer/songwriter playing one with a maple neck. I guess she had it custom made. I reall enjoyed my NS-6 but could not get passed the barndoor electronics and the look of the mahogany neck. My NS-6 even smelled good. Smelled like vanilla pudding.
No, I haven't had a chance to try a 62. I'm okay with the barndoor electronics; I do prefer that to fiddling around inside the soundhole. Perhaps the ES design is the best scenario.

The smell sounds great, if a little odd! Actually, I think new cedar and rosewood takes some beating when it comes to great soundhole effluvia (if that's possible!)!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Good guitar if you can get it for a reasonable price. I owned the same guitar, and also a NS 34 CE.
Taylor nylon guitars are good guitars, very well built, but I find them a bit too expensive for the sound that they deliver. If you are interested in a great sounding and affordable crossover nylon guitar, consider the new Cordoba GK Studio.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM

I like the NS24 guitars I have played. The Taylor NS guitars are what they are and, IMO, the least expensive of the series provides the most value. The 24 series guitars are 14 fret instruments made in North America (Mexico) which contributes to it's lower price point. The GK mentioned above is a 12 fret instrument made in China, which contributes to it's substantively lower price.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replys, I had to put off going till today but I'll post when I get back. I've played a 32 and liked it but I see what most of you are saying about them not having that true classical sound. To tell the truth I think I like the Taylor sound but I'm pretty much a steel string player. I guess the worse than can happen is I'll have to try and sell/trade it. The main reason I'm looking at it is I do like to hear other people play them and I've also had some hand trouble and I'm hoping it will give my hand a break. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
...but I see what most of you are saying about them not having that true classical sound. To tell the truth I think I like the Taylor sound...
My advice, take that "not a true classical sound" with a grain of salt. I drive a Subaru "but is doesn't have that true Audi performance". Like I should care about someone else's criteria?

Quote:
...I've also had some hand trouble and I'm hoping it will give my hand a break.
It might, but you might also look into other things to help. Hard to say without knowing the specific issue, but I will add that I bought my first NS when I was recovering from a hand injury. The ergonomics of the guitar could not be beat and I thought it was a godsend!

Best wishes on your hand trouble, from one player to another.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM

You will love the NS range of guitars mate, i too got that "doesnt sound like a true classical sound" spiel from different people, but i sat down with the NS24ce in the shop, and couldn't leave the shop without putting a deposit on it straight away.

Going from a traditional 2" nut & flat fretboard to Taylors 1 7/8" and radiused fretboard is like being stranded on a deserted island for a month then discovering there was a McDonalds on it...
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Exclamation

Just wanted to let you guys know I went down and took a look at the 42. First off it's a very clean guitar , a small ding or two that's it. Played and sounded great. The only reason I didn't bring it home is the person that owned it first had a extra barndoor pu added. It's a different kind than the fishman and whoever did it did a very good job. You would think it came from the factory like this. I was a little scared that would hurt the reasale if I didn't like it. He was a super nice guy and he may post it for sale here. Like I said the only thing that slowed me down was the extra pu and I still may go back and get it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical