The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Default Classical Guitar under 1k

What would be your choice of these models, and any other recommendations
1 Kermona Fiesta FC
2 Taylor 114ce-N
3 Yamaha CG-TA
4 Cordoba C9

Last edited by gtonesine; 11-20-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add recommendations
Old 11-20-2019, 10:37 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

You said "classical", so I'd leave the Taylor off the list. It's a different kind of thing. The Yamaha may be very sturdy built, by classical standards - I don't know this particular model firsthand. Yamaha electrónica can be absolutely amazing, in my opinion, so that's a plus. The Kremona and Cordoba are more likely lightly built traditional classical instruments, and around here the Cordoba probably gets the most love - I don't think that's an accident. You'd probably have to play them all to decide which really days the most to you, live always wanted to love the Taylor nylon range and just never managed to be impressed - at this price you're paying for that headstock logo and factory consistency, not a great classical guitar. Personally, I'd play play the other ones unplugged and see which I liked the most. Then comes the hard part of deciding if you need those electronics or not. Have fun hunting, that can be a great experience!
Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Oh, the other recommendation: find a used Alhambra 7 series that's what I did...
Old 11-20-2019, 11:00 PM

I would suggest having a look into La Patrie if your looking for dependable, reliable, repeatable, solid woods, and quite affordable.
That isn't high end custom.
Any model up to the Collection.
The Arena is a different animal alltogether, a thin-line that is designed from the bottom-up to be plugged in.

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html
Old 11-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Try to find a nice used Cordoba C10 or C12. Can't beat them at that price bracket.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:20 AM

Default classical guitar search

thanks for the answers and recommendations ,
Will look at the Cordoba C10 used, Alhambra 7 series and the La Patrie , I did see the Altamira N400 online , anyone familiar with this guitar ?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Sent you a PM
Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 PM

I bought my Cordoba c10 spruce used off of ebay for about 600 bucks. Pretty much looked brand new. Ive seen c12 go for 800 bucks, but that was when i was looking for my first classical guitar. prices might've changed.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

For the money, I think you can get a solid wood Cordoba in your range which I think is remarkable in itself. I agree with the above assessments of where Taylor fits it.
I just spent the week in Seville, and Granada, Spain; what I found here was some great solid wood guitars-
Paco Castilla guitars- Model 240 was impressive. It’s worth a google to see if you can get your hands on a Spanish guitar. Don’t get a Flamenco specific, unless you play Flamenco of course. They tended to be more niche specific.
Just some ideas...
Happy hunting

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical