The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2022, 03:02 PM

Default JBL PRX ONE and Condenser Mics?

Hi All,
We just purchased a JBL PRX ONE and have not been able to get much volume out of it before we start getting wicked feedback. We are setup about 6 feet behind the tower.
There are 5 of us in the band.We are use 3 condenser mics....2 AT 2035s and an Ear Trumpet Myrtle.
We are using the mics for vocals and instruments....no pickups.

mandolin, guitar and respective singers on one AT
bass banjo and respective singers on another Ear Trumpet
fiddle and vocals on the 3rd. AT

Is this system not advised for condenser mics? That is what a tech at JBL is seeming to say.
Thanks,
Michael
Old 05-12-2022, 04:43 PM

Default JBL PRX ONE and Condenser Mics?

Phantom power should be fine. The JBL PRX One advertises having a full 48v of phantom power. Unlike the ElectroVoice Evolve 30M and 50M which only supply 15V which isn’t always enough.

The Ear Trumpet Labs Myrtle isn’t designed for
Speakers behind it like that though. It is designed for picking up a bluegrass group with one mic and not even monitors. It doesn’t surprise me that it is feeding back.

If you want to use that mic you’ll have to put the column in front of you. Even then, there might be too much high frequency content going back into the mic.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-12-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the reply LK. Yeah phantom power power works fine for the mics and we do have the tower set about 8' in front of us....beginning to think it is just the wrong combo. One more call into a JBL tech next week and then send it back if we have to.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:14 PM

I suspect you'll have similar issues with whatever speaker system you use. The reason most gigs are done by close mic'ing with directional mics is to avoid this very scenario.

I would imagine the feedback you're experiencing is lower frequency (probably appx.100-250Hz) rather than high pitched screeching associated with mics in front of speakers/monitors. This is in part to do with the extended frequency range of those mics coupled with the fact that most speakers radiate low frequency content in just about every direction.

Careful system EQ control will help but you may have to recalibrate your expectations.

Try moving your speaker way off to the side, distance helps in a couple of different ways, sometimes. Also, move in towards the mics as much as is practical and COVID safe.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 05-12-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:54 PM

With regular point source speakers, the highs are really directional and all you hear from behind is low frequencies which can easily be high passed out of the mics. With a column, I am amazed at how well you can hear the highs even behind the mics.

Myrtle is going to be the big offender here. If you are going to stick with Myrtle, no column will work. You’ll need to go with a traditional point source speaker.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:27 AM

Sales-blurb claims 130° for high frequency horizontal dispersion but, as always, environment counts, walls and windows, etc.

This compares to (for instance) the Yamaha dxr12 @ 90°. Neither of these should be producing high end feedback with a speaker 8' behind unless there's some serious reflection going on.

For the record, I don't use this mic technique, this is not my kinda gig, but I do mic some string sections from time to time which opens up the same can of worms.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 05-13-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:54 AM

Thanks SB....we were in a tight driveway with 3 story home to either side. For sure a fair amount of reflected sound but we play in smaller venues with walls in close proximity so beginning to think we have the wrong combo of equipment
Old 05-16-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtempo View Post
Hi All,
We just purchased a JBL PRX ONE and have not been able to get much volume out of it before we start getting wicked feedback. We are setup about 6 feet behind the tower.
There are 5 of us in the band.We are use 3 condenser mics....2 AT 2035s and an Ear Trumpet Myrtle.
We are using the mics for vocals and instruments....no pickups.

mandolin, guitar and respective singers on one AT
bass banjo and respective singers on another Ear Trumpet
fiddle and vocals on the 3rd. AT

Is this system not advised for condenser mics? That is what a tech at JBL is seeming to say.
Thanks,
Michael
I play with a similar mic setup, an ETL and usually a second mic (AT LDC). It's tough to generate a lot of gain before feedback playing this way. Not familiar with your JBL, but the ability to ring out will help a lot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification