The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
K&K install went great on my Furch. I wouldn't hesitate if you are considering installing a K&K on your Furch. I will say that this is the first K&K install where I noticed a marked improvement when plugging into my Orchid DI rather than straight into the Fishman. A little bit of eq and it sounds really good.
The K&K Pure Mini does sometimes benefit from using something that matches impedance between the transducer and the amp's input.

If you look closely at bridge photo it appears that the insert is made from a composite material, most likely to reduce wear from the ball ends of the strings.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-14-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
New Furch Red owner. I have considered the K&K, just hesitant due to the permanent nature.
Hi r-sch-etc
How do you compare the RAW sound of a K&K Pure mini to that of the RAW sound of a Piezo under saddle pickup?

The only aspects of permanence with K&Ks is they work and sound so good that I'm not removing them after 17 years of use in my guitars.

If you want to remove them my tech says it's simple (with a razor blade).

I'm doubting removing any pickup is devastating to the sound/tone of a guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-14-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi r-sch-etc
How do you compare the RAW sound of a K&K Pure mini to that of the RAW sound of a Piezo under saddle pickup?

The only aspects of permanence with K&Ks is they work and sound so good that I'm not removing them after 17 years of use in my guitars.
Well, my Barbera UST is really, really good. Clear and articulate with a solid feedback-resistant bass. Lacks some warmth and midrange, but solid in many ways.

I've installed K&K in 3 guitars, sold 2, only have 1 left and that one is bass heavy and muddy. It takes a lot of EQ for it to work. So I'm happy for ya'all that think your K&K sound great... I don't doubt you. But at least for my 1 K&K guitar I just don't think it's the right pickup for that guitar. But it's glued in and I'm not crazy about trying to remove it.

The Furch GC is brighter so I'm optimistic that it would sound better or require less EQ with the K&K. But for now, adding the Lyric to the Barbera is an interesting combo that I'm exploring.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 05-14-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Well, my Barbera UST is really, really good. Clear and articulate with a solid feedback-resistant bass. Lacks some warmth and midrange, but solid in many ways.

I've installed K&K in 3 guitars, sold 2, only have 1 left and that one is bass heavy and muddy. It takes a lot of EQ for it to work. So I'm happy for ya'all that think your K&K sound great... I don't doubt you. But at least for my 1 K&K guitar I just don't think it's the right pickup for that guitar. But it's glued in and I'm not crazy about trying to remove it.

The Furch GC is brighter so I'm optimistic that it would sound better or require less EQ with the K&K. But for now, adding the Lyric to the Barbera is an interesting combo that I'm exploring.
While the K&K Pure Mini generally gets great reviews from users there's obviously going to be some guitars that it is not a good match for.

The few times I've seen posts from players who have uninstalled them it doesn't seem to be a big problem. There's a very good chance one or more of the transducers will suffer damage, but the guitar should win the fight with no lasting effects.

K&K will sell individual replacement transducers if you have one that's been damaged during removal and you think you have the skills to solder the new one in place.

I think the guitars that end up being bassy / boomy have minimalist bridge plates. I've never had that characteristic sound from the dozen installs I've done, so I've never removed one.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I put an Ultratonic in my Furch Little Jane. From what I can see from the OP pictures it has the same or very similar bridge construction.

It also had the complication that gaining access to the bridge plate is much more difficult due to the internal structure for holding the neck while in transport and the overall much smaller body.

While it took a bit to get it placed right I am quite happy with the tone. The level is a bit on the lower side although nothing a pre can't take care of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification