The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 06:30 AM

I've been very impressed with how good the Nanowebs sound. I would expect a coated string to sound dead like the DR coated ones, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the Nanowebs.

I got 10 years out of the factory set on my Taylor GS (though it doesn't get played that much).
Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM

I used to think I really liked Elixirs! I had a Furch (actually Stanford) D1P - a lovely cedar-topped dread. They sounded great on that guitar to my ear and nothing else quite cut it.

But, I have tried them on everything else I have owned since and preferred D'addario or, more recently, John Pearse.

I also tried some really cheap, uncoated strings from ebay. I can't remember the name but they came as 3 sets for about £9. I much preferred those too and although they sdon't last as long as Elixirs, 3 sets are still cheaper than one of Elixirs so works fine for me!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

As for Lifespans, they are ok but I find the high b and e strings dull and muted. You can hear the coating.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
The feel. Elixirs feel slippery and D’add EXPs feel rubbery. I haven’t tried Lifespan yet.
I prefer the Elixirs over the other two. On my Seagulls they have better tone than the lifespans. They squeak less too. I have not restrung my Martin yet.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:52 AM

I've tried various coated strings because of no string squeak claims, but there is still too much string squeak for me.
I use flat wound 80/20 bronze.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 AM

My GS Mini was delivered with Elixirs, and I thought they sounded fine when I played it in the store.
I’d always used D’Addario phosphor bronze on my steel-strings.

I tried the Elixir PB jobs and they sound fine to me... And they last a long time.

I have never experienced any flaking or peeling.

If there is any substantive difference in sound... I can’t hear it. But then, at 71 years old, with partial hearing loss in one ear and tinnitus to boot... I don’t have “golden ears” anyway.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 AM

I don't pay any attention to coated or not coated, I just end up with the sound I like. Currently that's Martin Retro's on the 000 and SUS on the Lowden. Both seem to last for quite a while, so that's not a concern either.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 AM

I hate to pull the “common sense card”, so often a lightening rod of those ignoring it, but does coating a guitar string sound like a great way to improve tone? Not to me, it naturally dulls and impedes the vibration in exchange for the claims of being longer lasting, which can be matched simply by wiping your strings after use. So then we get to a part of their appeal which is a perception of lasting longer and the convenience of not cleaning the strings, which in turn ends up with a dull, dirty string that sounds mediocre for a really long time. In other words, like any set of strings if not cared for.

I don’t sacrifice any of the tone of my instrument for convenience, ever. Just one mans opinion, so don’t be influenced in any way.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have not liked the tone of most of the coated strings I have tried and with several, I also do not like the feel. For me, it is not the slippery feel I mind as much but I find that some have kind of a sticky feel. I do not have skin chemistry issues so coated strings are not a must for me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Filet Mignon. Why the dislike? Everyone’s taste is different. Use what you prefer.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Personally I like the coated strings. Especially D'Addario EXP's and I can get about 6 months out of a set playing around my house, but coated or not I can only get two gigs out of a set of strings before I break one. So on my gigging guitars I use uncoated strings and the ones that don't leave the house too much get coated.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 AM

I don't mind the D'Addario coated strings. My problem with Elixirs isn't with the coating. My dislike for them stems from the very first time I tried a set (@ $20 a pop!) the D and G strings broke with less than two hours use on them.

Never again.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
I don't mind the D'Addario coated strings. My problem with Elixirs isn't with the coating. My dislike for them stems from the very first time I tried a set (@ $20 a pop!) the D and G strings broke with less than two hours use on them.

Never again.
I can't stand Elixir, too slippery for fingerstyle. And yes, their G string is notoriously famous for snapping/breaking.

Similar to D'addario, you can contact Elixir to get a replacement set. Their CS is up there on the same level with D'addario.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:54 AM

For me, it’s a tone issue and a price issue.
I like the way D’addario strings sound.
I like that for me, generally I finger pick, they last about three months.
I get about the same out of Elixirs before Ive been annoyed enough for long enough with the tone that I have to pull them off.
I’ve also been playing a variety of Ernie Ball strings for the last year or so.
And I really like the tone and feel of them.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 04-20-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I hate to pull the “common sense card”, so often a lightening rod of those ignoring it, but does coating a guitar string sound like a great way to improve tone? Not to me, it naturally dulls and impedes the vibration in exchange for the claims of being longer lasting, which can be matched simply by wiping your strings after use. So then we get to a part of their appeal which is a perception of lasting longer and the convenience of not cleaning the strings, which in turn ends up with a dull, dirty string that sounds mediocre for a really long time. In other words, like any set of strings if not cared for.

I don’t sacrifice any of the tone of my instrument for convenience, ever. Just one mans opinion, so don’t be influenced in any way.
If a string type sounds good on a particular guitar, it is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion