The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default new guitar strings-- black finger tips

I've noticed this before but ignored it. I put on new strings yesterday, GHS bronze and silk and the tips of my left fingers where I'm fretting turned blackish. What causes this?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 PM

The acidity levels of your skin in reaction to the metals. Normal and nothing to worry about. I get this with D'Addario EJ16s too.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Looburst is correct - what guitar did you put them on and how you finding them otherwise?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-19-2018, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Looburst is correct - what guitar did you put them on and how you finding them otherwise?
Thanks! Glad this is normal. I put them on an Eastman 10OM with an adirondack spruce top. i like the way the strings sound and feel a lot. Next to try on this guitar will be the John Pearse bronze and silk. I'm working on taming the volume a little bit and also reducing finger squeaks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM

You may find this account a bit funny. What was said in previous posts is true. I know this from experience but not from guitar strings.

I am a window cleaner and use an aluminum pole for the higher windows. In the summer, I would come home with black hands that I had to scrub to get clean. I couldn't believe this was happening at first since there is soap in the water I use. In the winter, I would not get black hands, even when not using gloves which I could do for a short time without my hands freezing. I finally figured out what was making my hands black. It was the metal pole. So, yes, it's the reaction to the metal from your fingers. I take it you perspire a bit more than average like myself.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
You may find this account a bit funny. What was said in previous posts is true. I know this from experience but not from guitar strings.

I am a window cleaner and use an aluminum pole for the higher windows. In the summer, I would come home with black hands that I had to scrub to get clean. I couldn't believe this was happening at first since there is soap in the water I use. In the winter, I would not get black hands, even when not using gloves which I could do for a short time without my hands freezing. I finally figured out what was making my hands black. It was the metal pole. So, yes, it's the reaction to the metal from your fingers. I take it you perspire a bit more than average like myself.
Interesting story. I don't perspire hardly at all. Nice theory, though.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM

It happens to me no matter what strings.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
I've noticed this before but ignored it. I put on new strings yesterday, GHS bronze and silk and the tips of my left fingers where I'm fretting turned blackish. What causes this?
Hi, I use Phos.bronze strings - mostly D'addario. I don;t sweat much and it isn't acid. I usually get 2-3 months out of a set of strings ... but - I initially get that black marks from a new set, then it disappears pretty quickly - and doesn't seem to be related to string condition.

Wikipedia tells me that P.B contains "94.8% copper, 5% tin, 0.2% phosphorus.
I suppose it must be some sort of chemical reaction (I suspect the tin content) but, as already said, don't worry about it.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
...I don't perspire hardly at all...
That's a double negative as in "I ain't dun nuthin".
Old 04-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if there was ever any scientific analysis of what this fingertip grey guitar string grime is? Surly a metallic component or a string coating process should be detected. There are varying skin oil content. I heard that next to our nose's is the greasiest skin.

Anyhow what exactly is this grey residue?

When you touch many things during the day, especially food eaten by hand, can it get into your blood stream?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM

This sounds pretty scarey obviously. I think some of us are giving our strings cancer...

I use a product called Autosol sparingly to shine up the frets. What Autosol removes from the frets is black residue. I wipe down my plain steel strings with Autosol sometimes. What Autosol takes off is also black. Note that Autosol gets trapped in the windings of roundwound strings. They can be a bear to remove if you use too much of it. And Autosol takes OFF Goldplating! The residue that is left behind on the fingertips work on goldplating and removes it.

Do the string makers leave some sort of coating to prevent corrosion while the strings are waiting for a buyer? Is this leftover from the string making process?

I don't know what the solution is except to wash your hands when the fingers turn black? It cannot be good for your health.

PS It could also be the migration of ions from the nickel-silver frets reacting with the phosphor bronze and plain steel strings turning your fingers black as sweat acts as an electrolyte. Electrolytic process, I guess.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
That's a double negative as in "I ain't dun nuthin".
Thanks for the grammar correction.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

So I'm going to email GHS and see what their answer is. If other people want to contact other string makers, it will be interesting to compare notes.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

A few possibilities:
1. There are sometimes lubricating substances used to manufacture metal produces leaving a thin clear film on the metal. That chemical can react with the metal ..producing more oxidation.
2. There is of course a natural oxidation in copper and brass that occurs rather quickly especially on uncoated strings.
3. Different manufacturers use different fret finishing substances. Some of those substances when combined with the ebony fret board are blackish..and in time could rub on to the fingertips and strings.
* Try this...wipe down your strings before you put them on with a string wipe product. John Pearse makes some. You will see Black Marks on the cloth...before your fingers ever touch the string. You can also use Acetone on cloth and wipe them down before hand as well.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

The black material you are seeing is oxidized metals.

In the example of the aluminum pole. aluminum oxide forms on the surface and your hand is wiping it away. It stains terribly and makes everything black.

You will see this with most metals.

The salts and chemicals in your sweat can accelerate this oxidation.

Some people have more reaction than others.

You might try coated strings which will help considerably.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion