The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Our Onkyo TX-807 AV receiver died this morning. No volume, menu choices grayed out, no channels, no FM, zilch, nada. On line forums suggest the HDMI chip is to blame. The unit is 9 years old, however we do use it about 8 to 12 hours every day listening mostly to Pandora and FM radio. In the evenings we stream a movie and during college football & basketball season we hook up our Mac's to watch ESPN or CBS sports.

I had a Sansui 8080 that took me through HS & 7 years of college and another 5 or so after and never had an issue. I suppose some electronics are not built to last like they used too.

Considering another Onkyo, the TX-RZ820 or the Yamaha RX-A770. We run a pair of Polk Lsi9's (4 ohms) and subwoofer, hooked up to Apple TV. We also listen to Pandora and other steaming radio. Thoughts & suggestions?

Update at 4:18pm:Muscp's post resulted in us learning our unit was acknowledged by Onkyo to have issues, and we will be going with the RZ820 as Onkyo is offering owners like us a special rebate to purchase another Onkyo unit.
Hopefully and probably no reason to think Onkyo's US operations could be adversely affected by Gibsons financial problems. But it is something to think about for the future

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic