The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-14-2018, 12:10 PM
G625 mistral-k

Default AV Receiver died, now hunting...

Our Onkyo TX-807 AV receiver died this morning. No volume, menu choices grayed out, no channels, no FM, zilch, nada. On line forums suggest the HDMI chip is to blame. The unit is 9 years old, however we do use it about 8 to 12 hours every day listening mostly to Pandora and FM radio. In the evenings we stream a movie and during college football & basketball season we hook up our Mac's to watch ESPN or CBS sports.

I had a Sansui 8080 that took me through HS & 7 years of college and another 5 or so after and never had an issue. I suppose some electronics are not built to last like they used too.

Considering another Onkyo, the TX-RZ820 or the Yamaha RX-A770. We run a pair of Polk Lsi9's (4 ohms) and subwoofer, hooked up to Apple TV. We also listen to Pandora and other steaming radio. Thoughts & suggestions?

Update at 4:18pm:Muscp's post resulted in us learning our unit was acknowledged by Onkyo to have issues, and we will be going with the RZ820 as Onkyo is offering owners like us a special rebate to purchase another Onkyo unit.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 04-14-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: updated info learned
Old 04-14-2018, 12:41 PM

i've found the japanese made receivers prior to china taking over the market are excellent buys. however, you most likely won't find hdmi on them.

you may want to join the avs forum and post your question. they should be able to give you some recommendations.

http://www.avsforum.com/

also, audio karma.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Musical minimalist

If you're in an area with a reasonably active Craigslist, just keep your eye out. I'm in a smaller market, but not that long ago I pieced together 4-5 systems in my home for pennies on the dollar. Quality gear that people were just trying to get rid of.

There's a huge move away from full blow systems and to soundbars. Also, the "wifey" factor - music should be heard and not seen.

It sounds like you don't need a multi-channel AV receiver - might want to consider a good quality set of separates to handle the 4 ohm speakers. See if you can find something like an Adcom amp/preamp that will handle the lower impedance with no problem.

There's a really nice Marantz AV receiver (one of the newer ones) on my local CL right now for 35 bucks - thinking about buying it just to stockpile it for later.

Just an example of what's out there.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i've found the japanese made receivers prior to china taking over the market are excellent buys. however, you most likely won't find hdmi on them.

you may want to join the avs forum and post your question. they should be able to give you some recommendations.

also, audio karma.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

play music!
Perfect! Thank you for the suggestion. Just posted at the AVSForum!

There are so many choices, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer & Sony just to name a few with so many features, most of them we will likely not use.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:51 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
If you're in an area with a reasonably active Craigslist, just keep your eye out. I'm in a smaller market, but not that long ago I pieced together 4-5 systems in my home for pennies on the dollar. Quality gear that people were just trying to get rid of.

There's a huge move away from full blow systems and to soundbars. Also, the "wifey" factor - music should be heard and not seen.

It sounds like you don't need a multi-channel AV receiver - might want to consider a good quality set of separates to handle the 4 ohm speakers. See if you can find something like an Adcom amp/preamp that will handle the lower impedance with no problem.

There's a really nice Marantz AV receiver (one of the newer ones) on my local CL right now for 35 bucks - thinking about buying it just to stockpile it for later.

Just an example of what's out there.
Thanks for the idea.

I had searched the local CL listings this morning and there were only two listings for WiFi equipped units, neither were 4 ohm compatible. Given the Polk's requirements, it is my understanding and was suggested to us that we need 125 plus watts a channel to efficiently drive them, so the requirements limit our CL offerings.

I would prefer separates, however we only have one location on a 8.5" high solid cherry cabinet shelf available. We also use the HDMI inputs and one HDMI out (to the TV), and I did not find a stereo receiver (non AV) which allowed for HDMI inputs with a HDMI out to the TV. If I knew of a receiver with that option, 125 plus watts a channel and 4 ohm, it would move to the front of the short list. So for now, we searched a replacement, however I will continue to check the CL ads.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've been quite happy with my Denon. It is my second. The first was fried in a lightning strike!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-14-2018, 02:17 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post

Thank you for this idea, I posted at the AV Forum and I also surfed the site and found the following information below. After reviewing the Onkyo website on the issue and punching in our units serial numbers, we are eligible for the three options offered. Given the specific requirements of each of the options, we will opt for the rebate directly from Onkyo on the purchase of a new Onkyo TX-RZ820 which is one the units we were considering.

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide
Old 04-14-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Thank you for this idea, I posted at the AV Forum and I also surfed the site and found the following information below. After reviewing the Onkyo website on the issue and punching in our units serial numbers, we are eligible for the three options offered. Given the specific requirements of each of the options, we will opt for the rebate directly from Onkyo on the purchase of a new Onkyo TX-RZ820 which is one the units we were considering.

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
i'm glad you got the info you needed.
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM

Wow. My Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver died recently, after less than a year and a half, and I was so mad at Onkyo that I bought a Yamaha TSR-5830 to replace it.

I found a few videos on YouTube that said I could bring the Onkyo back with a hair dryer, but I just disconnected it in disgust and put it in a box.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 04-14-2018, 04:15 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarget View Post
Wow. My Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver died recently, after less than a year and a half, and I was so mad at Onkyo that I bought a Yamaha TSR-5830 to replace it.

I found a few videos on YouTube that said I could bring the Onkyo back with a hair dryer, but I just disconnected it in disgust and put it in a box.
Guitarget,

Use this link to see if your unit was one which was affected and they will present you with several options, including sending the unit back to repair at their expense.

https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA
Old 04-14-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Hmm... my Onkyo died a couple of years ago and I still have it storage because I wanted to take it apart one day and see if I could fool around with it. I got a Pioneer instead, but I might look into this too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 AM

Unhappy

"This Serial/Unit does not need this update."

And gives me no other options.

Bought new November 12, 2016.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Looks like Onkyo is a stand up company.

I am a huge fan of Yamaha receivers. I put one in a storage cabinet in my BBQ island years ago to run my outdoor speakers. Although it's sheltered from the rain we have high humidity year round at the beach. That little Yamaha is still going strong. Reliable and built to last.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

Last edited by Tahitijack; 04-17-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM

I have an Onkyo R1 receiver from the 1980s. It has a huge remote.

Love it.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Guitarget,

Use this link to see if your unit was one which was affected and they will present you with several options, including sending the unit back to repair at their expense.

https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA
I'll have to check on this when I can get the serial number from my Onkyo, I see I bought it in March 2009, it went on the fritz last year so I just bought a Yamaha to replace it figuring receivers don't hold up as long nowadays (my old Sony receiver is coming up on 20 years and still works).
I already had it serviced under warranty after a couple years for some bad capacitors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic