The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I have never been on Facebook, for this very reason. Years ago it was determined that Facebook "scrapes" all of your information- not just what you post, but what you look at and what your friends look at and what their friends look at. All that information is obtained for one reason only- to make a profit. That means it has to be sold to someone, or it could even be subpoenaed.

No thanks. I don't give out all my information willingly. It's just as bad as going to a store and a clerk asking for your zip code. That's no ones business, certainly not a store. I see people filling out forms and where there is a line for a SS number, even if it says optional, they fill it in. Whatever for?

We are so conditioned to giving up all our privacy. It's very scary.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Just read where 10% of FB users have deleted their accounts because of the recent data privacy issues. Anybody here delete yours? I did FB years ago and deleted my account after about 6 months because it was such a time thief. Being an official “grumpy old man” at 68 years old, I’ve come to the conclusion that social media is on the whole a monumental waste of time. But I could be wrong. Wonder if AGF is considered “social media?” If it is, I will make an exception for the AGF in my broad brush condemnation.
Same here. Back in late 2010 I had an account which I deleted in early 2011.
Like you, I thought it was a huge waste/divergence of my time. Back then already it was very apparent to me that there were/are huge security issues.
Actually there are little security issues, but setting security is too convoluted, obscure and time consuming for most people to understand or want to deal with.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I resisted doing the Facebook thing for years, but finally did it and am glad I did. I reconnected with a lot of old friends and am happy about that, but the best part is all the girls who wouldn't date me in high school can see how good I look.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:44 AM

These forums are enough of a social media time suck but I do have Google Plus/Goodle Images/YouTube, Twitter/Periscope, Flickr, Instagram but I draw the line at Facebook and Snapchat. Snapchat looks especially vapid with people putting puppy dog ears and tongues on their selfies. I avoid Facebook because I don’t need people who I want nothing to do with to come knocking on my virtual door or getting sucked into some online social or political debate.

As for privacy, I prefer to look at the bright side of things and see possibilities. I’ve actually considered starting a Wordpress Blog using a pseudonym and writing about things I’m passionate about outside of guitar and making secondary social media accounts in order to network and maybe even generate a side income.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Someone getting private data wrong can be funny too.
It can also be aggravating, life altering and downright dangerous.....really.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Anybody Delete Your Facebook Account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
It can also be aggravating, life altering and downright dangerous.....really.

Yes, I took that as a given in all of this.

I suppose people should realize that forums and crowd sourced reviews are social media that also gets scraped and interpreted by other parties.

Last edited by imwjl; 04-15-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Click on "Agree" to open up ALL your E-mails, sent and received, to somebody out there somewhere-------------NO WAY!

Fog
Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

This information that FB and Google have is being used to influence and change the thinking of large and small groups of people to agree with and back the agendas of wealthy and powerful people. Without the people being influenced even realizing it. But's that other people not people like you and I, right? That's exactly why it works.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 04-14-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Never signed up for FB, Twitter, Instagram, whatever. Glad I didn’t.
And isn’t it strange that many folks don’t understand why you wouldn’t WANT to be on FB and Twitter and all that. They try to make it seem like you are some kind of Luddite or something.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:59 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Never signed up for FB, Twitter, Instagram, whatever. Glad I didn’t.
Ditto.... I have found no attraction to join any of them. I participate here, and I would probably like to find a photography & hiking site similar to AGF, I would join them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
And isn’t it strange that many folks don’t understand why you wouldn’t WANT to be on FB and Twitter and all that. They try to make it seem like you are some kind of Luddite or something.
My siblings & friends always wonder why I am not on FB. They say we can stay in touch. I always remind them that is why I call, email and text them. I am happy folks can enjoy or like their experiences on FB, or any social media, however you are correct, some folks think of you as a luddite if you do not participate (at least, those folks that know the meaning of the word).
Old 04-14-2018, 03:43 PM

Sadly I use Facebook to connect with friends and family that are too far away for me to simply just disconnect. I also use it for business.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Well, its not your secrets. Do you know that all of your friends personal data is being mined? Their phone numbers, addresses, emails, pretty well anyone you interact with.
Yes, I do understand that, and that is my friends issue to deal with.
I'll deal with mine.

And besides... They're friends with many other peeps too.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:29 PM

I never created one. I suppose the recluse in me can defend that choice but for all I've asked to describe the life-enhancement it's given them few have attempted to champion it over a phone call or writing a letter, and all have admitted it unnecessarily possesses them.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Advertised my music for the past 18 months on FaceBook. Was spending a couple hundred dollars a month. Lots of “engagement” but sales were just okay.

Created some new ads on Google AdWords about six months ago and sales went nuts. Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music and iTunes.

Stopped spending money with FaceBook. Didn’t notice a drop in sales. Deleted my account.

I will note that as an advertiser I had no access to any “private” data. Just demographic and interest categories.

—————
“Aerodynamics is for those who can’t build engines”

Enzo Ferrari
Old 04-14-2018, 09:23 PM

Social media can be harmful in many ways, especially to young easily influenced kids. If you don't have 200 "friends", you're a loser. Spreading personal information, selling personal information, storing comments, negative responses, fake news, excessive information, inappropriate information, influencing, swearing, bullying, time wasting, etc. is all bad. As someone on this forum previously said, you used to get bullied at school, now you can get bullied in your own home. Moderated forums, however, are all good.

Last edited by guitar george; 04-14-2018 at 09:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic