The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Default My wife is funny about some things..

Let me ask you if you agree with her, because I do and I want to know if I'm going off the deep end,

We've been going to the same pizza place for several years and the owner and many of the help know us by name.

We ordered a couple of sandwiches, my wife a roast beef with american cheese hero and myself a chicken cutlet hero.

As soon as the plates were put on the table in front of us, my wife squinches up her nose and says something is wrong with this roast beef. Sure enough it smelled as if it was going bad. My wife says to me, I'm going to order a cheese sandwich. Then she picks up the sandwich and opens it up, flips up a couple pieces of cheese and cuts of a corner like a triangle. I asked her what was that about and she says "to make sure they don't give me this cheese back because I don't want something that touched this bad meat." Fine I thought, good idea.

So we tell one of the counter guys that we have known for years about the roast beef and he says no problem. My wife asks for a cheese sandwich instead. A few minutes go by and they bring out the cheese sandwich. My wife flips open the sandwich, inspects the cheese and there it is. The slice of cheese with the corner missing. I was like, enough of this stuff and I bring it to the guy that made the sandwich and ask him did he use the same cheese over again and he swears he didn't.

I know he is lying through his teeth. I shake my head and just walk away. The owner sees and hears all of this and goes in the back and makes my wife a cheese sandwich himself and insists that my wife eat it because "he made it, no one else did."

So now, even though it was one of the employees, we are not going to go back. If someone you know and joked with for years can lie to your face over a buck or two worth of cheese, what else is going on there?

We're done going there for a while I think.

Rats, I really liked their pizza.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 PM

Yep, in my opinion, you finally caught them in the act of pulling a fast one on you. I wouldn't go back either. Food poisoning is no laughing matter! I got it last year and thought, for that one night, that I was dying! Never again. We eat at home a lot more now.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 PM

I wouldn’t go back either. But I would have given all the details to the owner, so that he would know exactly why you would not be back.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

I agree with your wife. That’s beyond unacceptable behavior on the employee’s part.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-29-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I wouldn’t go back either. But I would have given all the details to the owner, so that he would know exactly why you would not be back.
Me too.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Definitely. Who's to say they wouldn't pull the roast beef off and put on another sandwich?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Who knows what else they might do to the sandwich, or what left over/partially used ingredients go in the pizza. I like eating at places that have either a glass window or direct view of the people making the sandwiches/pizza/etc. Along with seeing the ingredients, you can also monitor hygiene and cleanliness.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-29-2018, 10:15 PM

Your wife is smart but did Poppy wash his hands before making that 2nd sandwich for her?

This is a reference to a Seinfeld episode where Jerry witnessed the restaurant chef not washing his hands after using the Men's Room.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-30-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

It's the way they do business. You either accept it or you don't.

We used to meet friends at a pizza/bar once a week, about five, for a drink or two. I drink a top self vodka and water. My drinks started tasting odd. We figured it wasn't the correct vodka. I asked to see the bottle and they handed it to me. Which they shouldn't have. I took a pen and marked the level on the bottle. The following week my drink still tasted odd. I asked to see the bottle. Amazingly the bottle had filled itself. This is illegal. The manager said the owner did it as he doesn't think there is any difference in vodkas. She through the bottle out and we went on. This actually happened a couple of times. We finally quit going there. If this is the way they do business what else is going on I don't know about?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Bad meat. Bad food handling hygiene. Bad service. Bad restaurant. Count your blessings that you discovered this before you needed Imodium AD.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Yep, in my opinion, you finally caught them in the act of pulling a fast one on you. I wouldn't go back either. Food poisoning is no laughing matter! I got it last year and thought, for that one night, that I was dying! Never again. We eat at home a lot more now.
Was that the night you burst the loo Perry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Your wife is smart but did Poppy wash his hands before making that 2nd sandwich for her?
This is a reference to a Seinfeld episode where Jerry witnessed the restaurant chef not washing his hands after using the Men's Room.
Good catch Bruce, I kind of saw that scene in my head too, only I would have sworn it was Larry David in “Curb . . “

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Bad meat. Bad food handling hygiene. Bad service. Bad restaurant. Count your blessings that you discovered this before you needed Imodium AD.
Yep, I’d hate to see the inside of their cold room, sounds like a job for sweary Gordon.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:27 AM

If they are using meat that's starting to turn, they could be using lots of stuff you don't want to put in your mouth. For pizza shops, tomato sauce that sits out all day in a warming tray or pot, should not be stored overnight in the fridge and brought out and warmed again - when it's in 'warm' condition, its a breeding ground for bacteria, only a vigorous boiling (212F) is going to help it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-30-2018, 07:29 AM

The sad part is that it seems like these "Cost conscious" folks truly don't understand that you lose a LOT more money when customers quit going. It's a penny wise/pound foolish thing... Charge the right price and then don't skimp on quality...

People can easily justify the price when they know the quality is good and nobody is trying to slip one past them....
Old 03-30-2018, 10:22 AM

Bad meat. Recycled cheese. Lying server. Now what was the question?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Was that the night you burst the loo Perry ?
Without a doubt, Jon!!! My wife said I also turned this weird color of pale green, in the face. And I sweated like I had just run a 5K run.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-30-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic