The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Where can I find a strap lug/TS Female connector?

On my Fender CD-140SCE acoustic/electric guitar, where the 1/4 inch equipment cable to the amplifier plugs in is also the back strap lug. I have no idea what the hybrid connector is actually called. Here is a picture of it:

What are these connectors called and where can I find a source for them? The reason I am asking is because the strap lug is not adequate. I am looking for a more traditional shaped lug. Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers! Dave
Old 03-02-2018, 07:43 PM

I think you'll find that any output jack combined with a strap button is pretty much the same...ive never seen one that looked much like a standard strap button.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:48 PM

I think I found what I am looking for at StewMac. See:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...ap_Secure.html

I’ll call them on Monday...
Old 03-02-2018, 09:08 PM

Well, looky that! Nice one...
Old 03-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Pastor Dave, I bought a couple of those large flange replacement buttons from Stew Mac about 3-4 years ago when they first came out. One is still living on my Taylor 414, the other is on something else. They work well, but you have to unscrew them completely to remove the strap (such as when storing the guitar in the case without the strap laying against the finish all the time). And they will work their way loose over time. Check that they are snugged up once in a while. At a string change, reach in and hold the inside mechanism, then snug the securing button hand tight.

Securing a strap to a button that doubles as an output jack is an ongoing problem, with varying solutions. The diameter of the jack is usually much larger than a simple button, and the groove is fairly shallow. The holes on most guitar straps need some alteration. Some people compress the wetted strap end between two nickles, clamped overnight using Vice-Grips to crush the leather thin enough to fit into the groove. Others use devices like the Planet Waves Cinch-Fit, and still others use a short length of leather or string. I've even seen some examples of people just putting a second regular strap button into the end block and not using the strap-jack at all.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Earl,

Thanks for your comments. Once I can get the strap on with a little room to spare, I use these locking devices from StewMac:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_..._Set_of_2.html

I’ve used that on my electric guitar for a year now with no problems. They are not idiot-proof and I wouldn’t swing my guitar in circles above my head but they do work as advertised and they are cheap insurance.

You mentioned about leaving the strap on in a closed case where the strap lays on the body’s finish. I was going to do just that with my Fender CD-140SCE acoustic guitar and a suede leather guitar strap. Over time, will that potentially leave a stained mark on the guitar body? I’m still learning...

Cheers! Dave
Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM

Leaving the strap on for prolonged periods could be a no-no. With a nitrocellulose lacquer finish, it is definitely bad news to leave leather or vinyl in prolonged contact with the finish. That likely will cause issues. The UV-cured polyurethane finishes like Taylor (and others) use are pretty impervious to solvents and off-gassing from the strap materials, especially the vinyl end tabs on cheaper guitar straps.

I don't know what Fender uses for a finish, but it could be polyurethane like on many sub-$500 imported guitars. You might well be OK. Better to be safe than sorry, and remove the strap when putting it away.

In the case of my Taylor 414 with its satin finish, I lay the strap on the bottom of the case and then put the guitar in. Any contact is on the back of the guitar along the centerline, and if finish damage were to occur I am less concerned. I would not lay the strap along the top, parallel with the strings, however. Too much contact with the top below the bridge, which would be very visible. Most of the time, my removed straps are rolled up to fit under the peg head (not touching), in the accessory box, or sometimes in the void of the cutaway.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:30 PM

Earl, thanks a million for your detailed reply. I had never thought about the strap interacting with the guitar’s finish. With your explanation, it makes perfect sense. Thanks again! You just might have saved me from ruining my guitar’s finish. Cheers! Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair