The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Guest 928

Jw;

That is just marvelous! Nothing quite as fun as messing with the language.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jw;

That is just marvelous! Nothing quite as fun as messing with the language.
Don't try that in Paris France, I think it's against the law there.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

We have been home almost a week now; I've been playing the X20 each day... but bringing it out of the guitar room for a "couch concert." While playing today, I had the guitar on my lap, with my head near the body. While singing for the Blonde and Rufus, I looked down and... vocal reverb: my voice going down into the sound hole and coming back at me, all shimmery.

My wife looked at me and said, "Are you singing into your guitar?"

"Yeah, can you hear the vocal reverb?"

I think we need to get your guitar room set up so you can have the reverb you want without singing into your guitar." (We have been busy since we got back, and other than getting the X20 out of its case, I haven't plugged in the PA or an amp, haven't gotten any other guitars out of their cases.)

Yeah, I should probably get out more.

All this time playing with that cool offset soundhole and this is the first time I've noticed this?
Old 04-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
We have been home almost a week now; I've been playing the X20 each day... but bringing it out of the guitar room for a "couch concert." While playing today, I had the guitar on my lap, with my head near the body. While singing for the Blonde and Rufus, I looked down and... vocal reverb: my voice going down into the sound hole and coming back at me, all shimmery.

My wife looked at me and said, "Are you singing into your guitar?"

"Yeah, can you hear the vocal reverb?"

I think we need to get your guitar room set up so you can have the reverb you want without singing into your guitar." (We have been busy since we got back, and other than getting the X20 out of its case, I haven't plugged in the PA or an amp, haven't gotten any other guitars out of their cases.)

Yeah, I should probably get out more.

All this time playing with that cool offset soundhole and this is the first time I've noticed this?

You are a wild man for sure!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

To keep this "CF guitar on-topic," I played my X20 for a bit this morning before heading out on the boat. We put the boat back in the water on Thursday, but it has been windy and gusty here since. Until today - mid 70s, bright blue sky, sunny, not much breeze. And... dolphins galore! A truly delightful day...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/04...-i-belong.html

A preview:

And now back to your regularly scheduled guitar discussion... this old rock 'n roller is going to watch the ACM Awards.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
.. this old rock 'n roller is going to watch the ACM Awards.

Look for CF guitars...or at least a McPherson of any material
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post

Look for CF guitars...or at least a McPherson of any material
Is this some kind of drinking game?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Is this some kind of drinking game?
If that is what it takes... I'll be drinking a Pepsi....... a band with 2 states name in it have a McPherson or 2... but prolly the non CF type
Old 04-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I shipped off the power amp from my Fishman Loudbox Mini today - the mic channel crapped out on it. I just got the RA on it to send it in. Playing the X20 through the Bose this morning (without the FLB and a direct line out from that to the Bose), meant a few minutes of adjustments on the Play Acoustic... good sound.

Now that we have the guitar stuff out of the way, we took Rufus the cat on the boat today for his second ever outing. The first one was a very laid back, relatively short cruise to see how he would do... fine, thanks for asking. Today, he was quite vocal when he saw dolphins for the first time!

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/04...-watching.html

And, a preview...

Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

This morning: no dolphin stuff. I played a wood guitar this morning... one that hasn't been out of the case in quite a while: my Taylor T5. I don't have a lot of reason to play electric these days, but what a nice guitar. Wood. As in: not carbon fiber. 1 11/16" nut. 24.875" scale. Plays sweet. Kind of acoustic sounding, with a lot of other tone options.

See - I am adaptable.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

The T5's are great, I had one for a while, I think if I had a better amp at the time I would have kept it. Lately I've been playing the Eastman T386 (335 style) electric, it's nice to be able to go between the acoustic (usually outside) and the electric in the house. Great pictures !
Old 04-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
The T5's are great, I had one for a while, I think if I had a better amp at the time I would have kept it. Lately I've been playing the Eastman T386 (335 style) electric, it's nice to be able to go between the acoustic (usually outside) and the electric in the house. Great pictures !
Thanks, John. The 335 is hard to beat for a semi-hollow body electric. I still have the one I got in 1966. It was the guitar I compared all others to for decades. The T5 compares very favorably, albeit with a different tone set. Run the T5 through an A/B/Y pedal, then to an acoustic amp and an electric amp, and it is very impressive. I didn't do that today - I sent the power amp part of my LBM off to Fishman for repair... so, I just ran the T5 direct into the Bose L1C. Nice!

I admit I have an emotional attachment to the T5... two days after buying an 814, a hot deal came up on this T5. Having just spent the bucks for the 814, I couldn't justify the T5. Joan bought it - she said, "This is my guitar - but you can play it for me." (No, she doesn't play.)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Joan bought it - she said, "This is my guitar - but you can play it for me." (No, she doesn't play.)
YES!! That makes for a fine marriage no doubt.

Last edited by kramster; 04-27-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
YES!! That's makes for a fine marriage no doubt.
Yes, I am fortunate... to find a pretty woman with smarts, heart, and questionable taste in men is pretty rare. All that and she supports my guitar habit: I was talking about "No Select Series this month and next" and she asked, "Have you decided what you want in your next one?"

Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 PM

My alternate instruments are bass'- Kala UBass, Yamaha Ebass and a standup ebass. I'll probably whittle that down and just keep the Kala.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber