The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM

Ok I have the Bugera in my cart for $339.99 out the door. Someone convince me to stop thinking about this and buy it!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM

1w at high volumes is too loud for a bedroom. So if you want a 15w or so amp be prepared to be adding pedals to get closer to a tube distortion sound. If you are a clean mainly player then no probs. If you are committed to an amp of this size, a pedal friendly amp is an imperative. Fenders fit that bill and Peavey Classics fit that bill. There may be others that I am unaware of. My Vox ac15 is ok a pedal platform, but not near as good as a Fender. I have never messed that much with Bugera.

If you want tube distortion at a bedroom friendly level I would suggest a smaller amp with on board attenuation down to miniscule wattage. I know that a VHT Special Ultra has it. I think the Marshall DSL 5 w has it. Hopefully others will chime in on other favorites.

Your other choice- non tube (I just touched the 3rd rail) which does not need volume for distortion. I have been playing around with a Boss Katana 50 which is an awesome sounding amp for small money. The Fender Mustang is also a great amp. I have not messed with a Mustang in a while but I would put the Katana up there with modelers costing a heck of a lot more....it is that good.

Bottom line have fun and look around. It is your ears you are trying to please.

Last edited by Scotso; 04-25-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Ok I have the Bugera in my cart for $339.99 out the door. Someone convince me to stop thinking about this and buy it!!!
Buy it, and don't look back!

Sometimes you can overthink these things. The V22 is a great amp...probably the best bang for your buck in a tube amp. You won't be sorry.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post

Sometimes you can overthink these things. The V22 is a great amp...probably the best bang for your buck in a tube amp. You won't be sorry.

I'm definitely over thinking. Was offered a Blues jr tweed for $499 and the AC15 for $525 which made me not pull the trigger on the V22 yet...
Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:

What he said...
Old 04-25-2017, 02:47 PM

And after all that I just bought the AC15... lol... got a great deal, $500 brand new shipped. Thanks for everyone who helped! There was just something about that Vox tone that was calling my name.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
And after all that I just bought the AC15... lol... got a great deal, $500 brand new shipped. Thanks for everyone who helped! There was just something about that Vox tone that was calling my name.
Congrats. I think you'll be pleased with the AC-15 so long as you can tame the volume. Let us know how it goes.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 PM

Fun amp. Something about those class A amps makes me smile.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Congrats, and enjoy your new amp!

We can make all kinds of suggestions, but at the end of the day, YOU are the one who will be using it (and paying for it). The important thing is...you got the amp you wanted, and at a good price!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Fun amp. Something about those class A amps makes me smile.

I agree [emoji106]

Quote:
Congrats, and enjoy your new amp!

We can make all kinds of suggestions, but at the end of the day, YOU are the one who will be using it (and paying for it). The important thing is...you got the amp you wanted, and at a good price!

The suggestions were super helpful. Before this post I was ready to buy the used AC10 which based on the recommendations I realized was not the best move. Obviously the V22 is a highly respected amp and I was very close to going with that. At the end of the day though that Vox tone is what sticks out in my mind. For a good price and thought I'd give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Congrats. I think you'll be pleased with the AC-15 so long as you can tame the volume. Let us know how it goes.

Will do! Looking forward to plugging her in. Unfortunate when the amp arrives I'll be out of town, but I'll have something to look forward to. Also when my wife sees it delivered I'll have a few days to explain!!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 PM

while it can be loud, you'll be able to adjust the top boost and normal channel to your liking. get an aby pedal and dial in your own sound without pedals--my suggestion.

i did swap out the output tubes for the tubedepot el84s and the preamp tubes for some i had in my stash. i also changed the reverb pan for one with a shorter decay. 20 minute changeover and $25 if you so desire.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Congrats! I love my AC15. You're gonna love yours, too ~

Here's mine with my '07 DRRI.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I agree [emoji106]

The suggestions were super helpful. Before this post I was ready to buy the used AC10 which based on the recommendations I realized was not the best move. Obviously the V22 is a highly respected amp and I was very close to going with that. At the end of the day though that Vox tone is what sticks out in my mind. For a good price and thought I'd give it a go!

Will do! Looking forward to plugging her in. Unfortunate when the amp arrives I'll be out of town, but I'll have something to look forward to. Also when my wife sees it delivered I'll have a few days to explain!!
Curious how this amp works for you in your man cave. I just used that 15% coupon + 8% backstage pass...so 23% off an AC10C1 from Musicians Friend. While I know that the AC15 is 'more amp' with some better features...my man cave is a bedroom and the AC10 is frankly overkill. I plan to keep my Super Champ XD but wanted some true VOX tone as well.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarkus View Post
Curious how this amp works for you in your man cave. I just used that 15% coupon + 8% backstage pass...so 23% off an AC10C1 from Musicians Friend. While I know that the AC15 is 'more amp' with some better features...my man cave is a bedroom and the AC10 is frankly overkill. I plan to keep my Super Champ XD but wanted some true VOX tone as well.
AC4HW1. Retail is $800, but you can use the same coupons and get it for $625. That's the route I took two years ago and have been thrilled with this terrific little amp.

Hand Wired
Solid wood construction
12" Celestion Greenback

http://www.voxamps.com/handwired

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars