The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-15-2018, 12:28 PM

I been staying away lately but when Bluegrass is mentioned my ears perk up,,,to the OP, When you say Bluegrass it is the Grail for Traditional music, and Acoustic music, fiddle tunes written for guitar are a major part of flat picking guitar in a Bluegrass setting. Most Bluegrass originated in one way or another in Europe and was migrated over by immigrants who settled here. Irish music comes to mind.
However I gotta say a Emerald in a Bluegrass band would be like a fiddle at a Star Trek convention, just don't fit in
I take my Rainsong Shorty to Festivals and play fiddle tunes on it and back up rhythm and it pretty much does it all. Only caveat being it is Not a Traditional instrument , but gets by because it looks like a standard guitar for the most part. But the futuristic look of an Emerald would be weird at a BG Festival and I have never seen one ever.
Ted's advice was right on, CA or RS would be a good choice. I leave my Martin at home in the summer because of extensive travel to BG festivals and outdoor playing, to paranoid of damage to it so the CF is great in that respect
But whenever something is close by or weather is good I use my Martin, and you will not see many flat pickers if any in the world of Traditional BG playing CF and especially futuristic looking instruments, they just don't fit in.
Most of the BG is based in old time, traditional, and acoustic music, just the way it is , why amped instruments and drummers are rare, that's what mandolins and stand up bass are for..........JMO Wearing a pair of BiBs and playing a CF Emerald might get you noticed though!!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
a fiddle at a Star Trek convention,
What kind a music is at the convention? And the standard instruments?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
What kind a music is at the convention? And the standard instruments?
I believe that's called a theremin. I would like to hear someone play a set spoons in a theremin.

Last edited by jwellsy; 04-15-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hopefully, Earl49 chimes-in here, because he has a relatively new X20-12 and X20-6 that he really likes and plays in all sorts of styles, including bluegrass. If I recall correctly, he very much likes them for bluegrass and the other players seemed both intrigued and impressed.

Earl, you out there?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I believe that's called a theremin. I would like to hear someone play a set spoons in a theremin.

I almost bought one...my Handsonic and some other Roland things have a pseudo theremin....

...Live long and prosper....
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Ah, Jerry, I sat in in a "jam session" in an RV park in Branson, MO last year. With my Emerald X7. It was country. Very traditional, old-timey country. Some bluegrass. It wasn't my idea of a jam session, but rather more like a "house band" that played there regularly. I was the only one who wasn't a member of that band.

They didn't run me out, and I didn't make fun of their mostly 3-chord songs. Mutual respect. I played along with their songs and they played along with mine. When I asked if they played "any rock 'n roll", there was a wince and one of the guys asked, "You mean like Elvis Presley?" So, I didn't pull out any Stones, Steppenwolf, or that hippy Jimmy Buffett stuff. I was asked about my guitar - if anyone looked down their nose at it, it wasn't while I was looking. They were politely curious.

Yes, and one of the guys was wearing bib overalls... and get this: he was playing a Taylor dreadnought! From the 90s. Pretty progressive, huh?

I would have no issue taking my X20 to a bluegrass jam.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Ah, Jerry, I sat in in a "jam session" in an RV park in Branson, MO last year. With my Emerald X7. It was country. Very traditional, old-timey country. Some bluegrass. It wasn't my idea of a jam session, but rather more like a "house band" that played there regularly. I was the only one who wasn't a member of that band.

They didn't run me out, and I didn't make fun of their mostly 3-chord songs. Mutual respect. I played along with their songs and they played along with mine. When I asked if they played "any rock 'n roll", there was a wince and one of the guys asked, "You mean like Elvis Presley?" So, I didn't pull out any Stones, Steppenwolf, or that hippy Jimmy Buffett stuff. I was asked about my guitar - if anyone looked down their nose at it, it wasn't while I was looking. They were politely curious.

Yes, and one of the guys was wearing bib overalls... and get this: he was playing a Taylor dreadnought! From the 90s. Pretty progressive, huh?

I would have no issue taking my X20 to a bluegrass jam.
I would think that a CF guitar is a better weapon than a wood one if they were to gang up on you!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I would think that a CF guitar is a better weapon than a wood one if they were to gang up on you!
I travel with security, Tom... the Blonde can toss a "stink eye" look that would stop them in their tracks! No weapon necessary.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I travel with security, Tom... the Blonde can toss a "stink eye" look that would stop them in their tracks! No weapon necessary.
She kept me in line... at my own place!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
She kept me in line... at my own place!
I rest my case.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Country ain't even close to flat pick bluegrass! Take a look at Bryan Sutton.....different type of guitar altogether. https://youtu.be/dnvFn-nmrL0

Last edited by JerryM; 04-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 PM

RainSong made a Bluegrass model a few years back (2012)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:33 PM

Wish they still did! I use my Shorty, good but not a Martin!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
bluegrass, fan fret, flat picking