The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 PM

Default How do remove the controls on LR Baggs systems

I'm trying to remove the LR Baggs Element system from my J-45 because I want to swap it out for a Lyric. What I'm finding is that the control knobs on the underside of the soundhole are stuck on pretty darn good.

Any tricks to remove? Do I just pry?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Here's a bit of advice, forget the Lyric in a J45. For the last 3 years I've been gigging with a J45, and my favorite vintage guitar is a 1964 J45. In all of the pickup experiments I did with the J45 to get it where I liked it, I tried a bunch of pickups, and I can say without doubt the Lyric was the absolute WORST of everything I tried. Their were two very un-natural sounding mid frequencies to EQ out along with a compression tone that I could never remove. And on my pedal board I have a Empress Para EQ which is a surgical EQ.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Just rock back and forth until it gives. It will.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Just rock back and forth until it gives. It will.
And sometimes it will take some splinters with it, and yes, I've had to learn that the hard way If I had to, I would probably slide a safety razor blade between the controls and the wood, inching it in very carefully until it pulls free.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 AM

I would spray some contact cleaner onto the side of the pad first, then rock the preamp gently while the alcohol works it's way into the adhesive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification