The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 AM

Default New Guitar Day!!!!! I'm counting the hours 'til delivery...

You might remember my threads about good guitars for less than $1000. Well, I researched this for about 3 1/2 weeks. But, I've been WAITING 35 YEARS! That's when I lost my J-45, when my family kicked me out on the street. Now, I'm 61 years old, and I'm trying to relive past memories. My guitar had to have a number of qualities. The guitar that came closest to fulfilling my dreams was a new Martin D-18. But THAT was about $1500 over budget. Then, I stumbled upon a GREAT deal on a discontinued model. I wanted a Dreadnought, because my voice is on the quiet side, but I settled for a Jumbo. And from the prices I researched, there wasn't a whole lot of significant price-cutting going on from the major stores. All their prices were pretty much equal. Sunday evening, Sam Ash sent me an targeted ad. Now, Sam Ash is not an AGF sponsor, and this is not an endorsement. But the price that caught my eye was a guitar reduced 49% (that's HALF!) off the MSRP. And THEN, I went on eBay (neither a sponsor nor endorsement), and found the exact same guitar listed there, with a "Make Offer"deal. Their price was the same as the ad, and the ad price almost had me, but not quite, and I was REALLY stewing about this decision. I was making a LOT of compromises! But the price was GREAT! So, I made them an offer--what did I have to lose? $50 BELOW half price! AND THEY ACCEPTED! And that's the story about how I came to decide on this guitar. I'm not gonna tell you right now what kind of guitar it is, but I've given a LOT of clues, and the closest guess was made by D.C. Cougar, so congrats to him/her. But I will tell you this afternoon, if you haven't already figured it out, sometime between 3-6pm EDT. 'Til then, the hands on the clock are moving so SLOW!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I can hear Carly singing in my ear right now...Anti-ci-pa-a-tion is making me wait!

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I can hear Carly singing in my ear right now...Anti-ci-pa-a-tion is making me wait!

Best,
Jayne
Jayne Marsch:

EXACTLY!!!!!!! It's keeping me wai- ai- -ai- -ai- -ai- -ting!!!!!! I can even hear Mick

Jagger and James Taylor singing backup!!!!!

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-18-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:40 AM

Looking forward to the unveiling!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:50 AM

RE: New Guitar Day!!!!! I'm counting the hours 'til delivery...

Same here! Where is that truck???!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
RE: New Guitar Day!!!!! I'm counting the hours 'til delivery...

Same here! Where is that truck???!!!
Mark R.J.:

I don't know!!!!! Where IS that truck????? FedEx has made me wait as long as 6:00pm! Don't they know what we're going through????!!!!! I live in downtown Cincinnati, and of course, they do all the businesses first.

I was hoping a big box would get in their way, and they'd want to get rid of it early...I guess not...

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Mark R.J.:

I don't know!!!!! Where IS that truck????? FedEx has made me wait as long as 6:00pm! Don't they know what we're going through????!!!!! I live in downtown Cincinnati, and of course, they do all the businesses first.

I was hoping a big box would get in their way, and they'd want to get rid of it early...I guess not...
Yep...it’s a bummer. That’s why I quit waiting for trucks years ago. I just have the carrier hold it at the local hub for me to pick up first thing in the morning. Hope yours arrives soon!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...it’s a bummer. That’s why I quit waiting for trucks years ago. I just have the carrier hold it at the local hub for me to pick up first thing in the morning. Hope yours arrives soon!
Rev Roy:

It arrived at 3:34pm EDT. I couldn't be happier. Guild F-150 Mini Jumbo. My man in the FedEx uniform saw what it was and cut me a break 'cuz he plays guitar too. I can't believe how much finger strength I've lost! (It has been 35 years!). But I gotta find someone to help set the action for me. It plays like a Dobro! Plus I gotta buy some picks and a tuner, so I'm planning a trip to the closest music store. I talked to a genuine luthier out on the west side of Cincinnati, who is trying to recover from cancer, who has stopped building custom guitars, and he invited me to come see his babies in a week or two. Poor guy. Heck, I'd just go visit him to lift his spirits. His name is Walter Heine, and his business is Haley Rose Guitars. I thought I'd give him a plug 'cuz he was real nice to me, and we talked for 15 minutes. He's recovering from chemo (and the price of his cancer meds). He really didn't have to do that, so I thought I'd give him a plug. Hope you're feeling better, Walt!

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-20-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Congrats! Glad it arrived safe. So let’s see some pics.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Well, congratulations on the Guild F-150 Jumbo! Good for you! I hope you enjoy it for years to come!

- Glenn
Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Cool. Congrats. Is it a new Westerly F-150?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Good detailed Pavlog's dog, counting the hours, salivation day. Love the fever.

I had one today too. FED EX 42" box came with an interesting wide neck Gretsch electric. It is really fun to play finger style with adult chords on this 1.75" neck. The frets are dinky like an acoustic.... looks to be .036" small?

Glad you got a Guild Jumbo after all the years of guitar memories.
BTW: If the action is super high tell your friend before he starts working on it to look for a reset required. In order to return it to eBay.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
You might remember my threads about good guitars for less than $1000. Well, I researched this for about 3 1/2 weeks. But, I've been WAITING 35 YEARS! That's when I lost my J-45, when my family kicked me out on the street. Now, I'm 61 years old, and I'm trying to relive past memories. My guitar had to have a number of qualities. The guitar that came closest to fulfilling my dreams was a new Martin D-18. But THAT was about $1500 over budget. Then, I stumbled upon a GREAT deal on a discontinued model. I wanted a Dreadnought, because my voice is on the quiet side, but I settled for a Jumbo. And from the prices I researched, there wasn't a whole lot of significant price-cutting going on from the major stores. All their prices were pretty much equal. Sunday evening, Sam Ash sent me an targeted ad. Now, Sam Ash is not an AGF sponsor, and this is not an endorsement. But the price that caught my eye was a guitar reduced 49% (that's HALF!) off the MSRP. And THEN, I went on eBay (neither a sponsor nor endorsement), and found the exact same guitar listed there, with a "Make Offer"deal. Their price was the same as the ad, and the ad price almost had me, but not quite, and I was REALLY stewing about this decision. I was making a LOT of compromises! But the price was GREAT! So, I made them an offer--what did I have to lose? $50 BELOW half price! AND THEY ACCEPTED! And that's the story about how I came to decide on this guitar. I'm not gonna tell you right now what kind of guitar it is, but I've given a LOT of clues, and the closest guess was made by D.C. Cougar, so congrats to him/her. But I will tell you this afternoon, if you haven't already figured it out, sometime between 3-6pm EDT. 'Til then, the hands on the clock are moving so SLOW!
That's a very cool story, I'm really happy for u! Hope your wait feels short...
Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 AM

congrats on not only a new guitar but something that is clearly special to you
(nice price reduction too!)
I hope it's everything you're looking for.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Well, that is a really good guitar you've got their. I believe that comes with a solid Sitka spruce top and solid Indian Rosewood sides and back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion