The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Luthier's artistry of craft

Hi Everyone,

First, apologies if this post isn't in the right spot - hopefully moderators will move if necessary.

I recently started a blog - it's a general lifestyle blog about things that interest me - which includes guitars. I have a lot of friends that, while not guitar players, have indicated an interest in my guitars, how they were built, the different woods, etc. - and so I thought I would write a blog post that focused on my love of guitars from a purely aesthetic perspective. I titled my blog post "Guitars - The Artistry of Craft" (https://somedaymaine.com/guitars-the-artistry-of-craft/). Since it focuses on the luthiers craft, and references several of the amazing luthiers who post on this forum (including Steve Kinnaird and Mark Hatcher), I thought it would be appropriate to mention on the Custom Shop.

Let me know what you think of the blog post - if I have any gross errors or misrepresentations, I'm sure you will point them out. The audience for this post isn't so much you folks - it's for people that don't know that much about the craft. But hopefully it induces some interest from people new to guitars. I really just wanted to share about something that gives me so much joy. Thanks to Steve and Mark for allowing me to post pictures from their websites and build processes.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Whoa, Steve, that was a lot of work! And very well done. You show a breadth of understanding, without being condescending or overly technical.
It was a pleasant surprise to have work featured, and be named with the great ones of the earth. Again, good job...and my thanks!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks, Steve - I’m glad you enjoyed the post. I’m pretty new to blogging, but have found it to be quite fun. I think your peers gere would agree with your inclusion among the best luthiers in the US.

I’ve already had some feedback from a few of my friends who were quite amazed by what goes into building a guitar. I directed them to visit this forum to see more examples of the amazing work luthiers put into custom builds.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Nice article Steve! Well done. I’m real happy to see two of my Hatchers were pictured. Awesome.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Nice article Steve! Well done. I’m real happy to see two of my Hatchers were pictured. Awesome.
Thanks Dennis - and you have some fine guitars!!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great blog posting! It was a fun read and thank you for mentioning me and my work. There are many different approaches to making wonderful guitars and there are many different kinds of wonderful guitars. There is the old saying "there are many paths to the mountain top" Which is often true and with guitars there are many different mountain tops. Keeps it interesting!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Nice blog. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Great blog posting! It was a fun read and thank you for mentioning me and my work. There are many different approaches to making wonderful guitars and there are many different kinds of wonderful guitars. There is the old saying "there are many paths to the mountain top" Which is often true and with guitars there are many different mountain tops. Keeps it interesting!

Mark
Thanks Mark - your work speaks for itself, and as I mention in the blog, you are also an excellent photographer!!!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Nice blog. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

I enjoyed reading this. I'd say you succeeded in writing at a level appropriate for a general audience. In the future, whenever a friend expresses more than a passing interest in my instruments, I'll direct them to read this.

One suggestion: I don't know if your blog supports this, but captions on the photographs would be a nice addition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop