The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Default Neck adjustment

Do you all have any tips for adjusting acoustic guitar neck? It seems I just go back and forth.

"In The Wind"
Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 PM

In what way are we talking adjusting, are we refrring to truss rod adjustments or neck shim adjustments

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM

Neck adjustments can be misunderstood. Adjusting the neck is to correct its bow, not for string height. As a rule you should adjust about a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the guitar neck move and about 10 minutes later another 1/4 turn as required. If this is a string height issue that is corrected by adjusting the height of the bridge saddle.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Adjusting the neck is to correct its bow, not for string height. As a rule you should adjust about a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the guitar neck move and about 10 minutes later another 1/4 turn as required.

I've never met a professional who adjusts a truss rod this way.

Start by measuring what you have, rather than randomly adjusting the truss rod. A common value is .005" to .01" as measured at the 7th fret. If you have that, adjustment of the truss rod isn't likely appropriate.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Neck adjustments can be misunderstood. Adjusting the neck is to correct its bow, not for string height. As a rule you should adjust about a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the guitar neck move and about 10 minutes later another 1/4 turn as required. If this is a string height issue that is corrected by adjusting the height of the bridge saddle.
I concur, on the understanding that neck relief has already been adjudged to be too extreme in one way or another.

I prefer action on my guitars to be a tad higher than the makers recommend - they say .005" and I prefer more like .008" at the seventh with capo on first and string pressed done on highest (19th) fret.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bill View Post
Do you all have any tips for adjusting acoustic guitar neck? It seems I just go back and forth.
Tips for adjusting what aspect of the neck? Back and forth how/with what? The question as it is presented can’t be answered.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Default Neck adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've never met a professional who adjusts a truss rod this way.

Start by measuring what you have, rather than randomly adjusting the truss rod. A common value is .005" to .01" as measured at the 7th fret. If you have that, adjustment of the truss rod isn't likely appropriate.

You are correct based on the concept that you have measuring devices that can determine the relief. The OP is looking for an answer that he can use. If he wanted pro help he would go to a Luthier. Anyone can use a household straightedge to determine the neck relief. For regular people - not luthiers, small adjustments with testing will accomplish correcting the neck bow. You can also use a quarter to determine string height at the twelfth fret. No special tools required.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul

Last edited by BT55; 02-23-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
You are correct based on the concept that you have measuring devices that can determine the relief. The OP is looking for an answer that he can use. If he wanted pro help he would go to a Luthier. Anyone can use a household straightedge to determine the neck relief. For regular people - not luthiers, small adjustments with testing will accomplish correcting the neck bow. You can also use a quarter to determine string height at the twelfth fret. No special tools required.
That's a strange response, as nothing in Charles's response requires terribly sophisticated tools. A straightedge and feeler gauges only on cost a few dollars. Anyone wishing to make their own adjustments ought to be willing to invest a few dollars in such simple tools. For $25 or less we can dispense with crude methods like coins.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:40 AM

'back and forth' would imply that you are overshooting, possibly because you are not waiting long enough for the adjustment to take effect. Turn it less and wait longer. Also, adjust when the strings are up to pitch, if possible. That prevents wild swings that can occur when tightening and loosening the strings.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
it really takes 10 mins for the neck to move? I have seen guitar techs adjust a truss rod and then IMMEDIATELY check it again.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
it really takes 10 mins for the neck to move? I have seen guitar techs adjust a truss rod and then IMMEDIATELY check it again.

Stew-Mac article “Don't be nervous about adjusting that truss rod!”
“After adjusting the rod I’ll usually let the instrument “settle” into the adjustment for a few hours and then I’ll evaluate it again and tweak it if necessary.”
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
That depends on the type and condition of the truss rod. Most will respond in a few minutes or less, some take longer.
et al
Old 03-02-2018, 11:57 AM

I may be unique in doing this, but I never tighten a truss-rod without first applying pressure to the center of the back of the neck.

Way I see it, that gives the neck a chance to "settle back" instead of "creeping forward".
Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 PM

Thanks for your replies.

"In The Wind"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair