The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Default D-28 question:

I've got a Martin that is a special edition D-28..so it's actually an HD-35 if you just look at the size and scalloping of the braces. And, it's never sounded good to me amplified. I hear many J-45's that sound great amplified. And I know they are entirely two different animals. BUT, I've never even considered a D-28. I've always thought they were just inferior to an HD-28. Now I'm re-considering that. Has anyone used a D-28 just for the reason that they should be easier to amplify...without the scalloped braces. Does anyone use one with say a LR Baggs Anthem in them. That may be how I'm leaning in the future. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

If you like the way the guitar sounds unplugged, I would try a different method of amplification. Maybe you just don't like the pickups you're using. What are you using?

Tim
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I've got a Martin that is a special edition D-28..so it's actually an HD-35
So, your D-28 has a 3-piece back? To your question, people have been successfully amplifying D-28's and HD-28's and D-35's for decades with gold and platinum selling albums. The guitars amplify fine. I would look at something different than you are using to capture the signal (your pickup/electronics and/or your amplification (PA, amp...) system for the problem. Even guitar's that sound rather pedestrian acoustically can be amplified wonderfully.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Default sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
So, your D-28 has a 3-piece back? To your question, people have been successfully amplifying D-28's and HD-28's and D-35's for decades with gold and platinum selling albums. The guitars amplify fine. I would look at something different than you are using to capture the signal (your pickup/electronics and/or your amplification (PA, amp...) system for the problem. Even guitar's that sound rather pedestrian acoustically can be amplified wonderfully.
Sorry..my bad...my guitar has the same braces as an hd-35... but the two piece back

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification