The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Like most new experiences in life it'll happen in a way that will be unknown but somehow predictable. I'll do the best I can given the situation I find myself. The result will be as fate sees fit.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-23-2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Edited topic.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:56 AM

This year I get to watch my daughter die. What started as a seizure 6 months ago has blossomed into Stage 4 brain cancer. As I type this, she lies in a hospital bed with half her body paralyzed from as biopsy gone wrong and a subsequent stroke. She has maybe 3-6 months to live. I will witness her decent. Philosophize all you want, but I would gladly accept my own death if it would prevent hers.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
This year I get to watch my daughter die. What started as a seizure 6 months ago has blossomed into Stage 4 brain cancer. As I type this, she lies in a hospital bed with half her body paralyzed from as biopsy gone wrong and a subsequent stroke. She has maybe 3-6 months to live. I will witness her decent. Philosophize all you want, but I would gladly accept my own death if it would prevent hers.
I don't have the words...the worst thing to happen to anyone in this world is losing a child (of any age)...if it means anything I'll be saying prayers and keeping good thoughts for you all...I am so sorry...
Old 08-24-2019, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ax, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. I can only hope that the inevitable happens in a peaceful and loving way.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

I'm 71 and recovering from cancer.

I've survived septicemia, peritonitis, sarcoidosis, heart failure, and now cancer ... so far.

That old guy in the mirror has aged ten years since January 2017. I lost my mother to cancer when she was 57 (in '77) and my father (of dementia and strokes) at age 75 (in 85).

I am hoping to beat him, but who knows. I've just received the letter from the hospital confirming my next MRI scan on Monday.

I know that it is unlikely that I'll live for many years longer, and the years are so much shorter than they used to be.

I am unlikely to be around for decades longer, but we can never know.
I'm no longer scared of death - just pain and/or immobility.

I'll leave this subject with the words of the great Liverpool poet Roger McGough:

Let me die a youngman's death
not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death
Old 08-24-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
...My 94 year old father-in-law passed away in his sleep at home in his own bed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...
Tony

That's what I'd like but no time soon, and that actually describes my grandfather's death as well...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I’m sorry to hear this; my parents lost their son, my brother, at age 57 to a heart attack. It was a shock my mother never recovered from, my father gave up shortly thereafter. I’m sure they felt the same to have him live while they in their old age go first.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm 71 and recovering from cancer.

I've survived septicemia, peritonitis, sarcoidosis, heart failure, and now cancer ... so far.

That old guy in the mirror has aged ten years since January 2017. I lost my mother to cancer when she was 57 (in '77) and my father (of dementia and strokes) at age 75 (in 85).

I am hoping to beat him, but who knows. I've just received the letter from the hospital confirming my next MRI scan on Monday.

I know that it is unlikely that I'll live for many years longer, and the years are so much shorter than they used to be.

I am unlikely to be around for decades longer, but we can never know.
I'm no longer scared of death - just pain and/or immobility.

I'll leave this subject with the words of the great Liverpool poet Roger McGough:

not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death
You’re a fearless man, Silly Moustache. If I had even 10% of your vitality*, I’d be rocking it in this world.

* courage

Last edited by Jaden; 08-24-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:06 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
My heartfelt condolences, Ax.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
I hope I'm living in a state that allows Euthanasia, should I have a terminal illness that tends to be messy/depressing for the patient as well as the family.

If not, I'll have to improvise. There should be dignified ways to die, not only for the ill, but their family as well.

+1

Nearest state for me would be Oregon.

Actually, you start dying the moment you are born. Ain't none of us going to get out of this thing alive, so try and maximize the good times.

But I would be happiest if I died while eating a dozen glazed donuts with a 2lb side of bacon. And don't forget the coffee!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Whatever you say here on a public forum, make sure you have those same conversations with your family/ doctor re: an Advance Directive or similar.
If one finds themselves unable to communicate their wishes for any reason, it won’t matter what you had intended.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 AM

I just hope when my time comes that I have the courage to die with dignity, and be as small a burden to others as possible.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

...at my age I have seen a fair number of loved ones..family and friends...pass on...it hasn’t been pretty in most cases and it seems an unfair ending for people who have lived an honorable and productive life....

....but in the end I see the world around me and how all life withers at the end...I can see that once gone what remains is only a temporary physical vessel for something far more beautiful and meaningful....I will celebrate the spirit of those passed and look forward to joining them in the not too distant future...and promise to love as much and as many as I can in the days I have left...
Old 08-24-2019, 11:10 AM

I for one to not believe this is it. So I do not fear the future, whatever it brings.

But Dean Ford said it pretty well.

The World is a bad place, A bad place.
A terrible place to live....
OOOOHH but I don't want to die.

Too many unseen adventures ahead.
Ed
Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM

It is a scientific fact that "Matter can neither be created nor destroyed". The amount of matter on Earth is always constant. When a person dies, that person is not going anywhere and will be remaining on Earth forever.

Even with cremation, the body's high percentage of water will evaporate and the remaining parts will be reduced to ashes. No part of the human body will ever leave this world.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic