The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 07-23-2019, 09:09 PM

My blue casein 1.25mm arrived yesterday and boy is it ever a beauty! Polished to perfection and very comfortable to play. It sort of sticks to your fingers, so no slipping. The tone is quite warm with this one, which is very different from the Blue Chip TD45 I have been using for the past several weeks. I’m impressed!

I should mention I’ve started to prefer the extra sparkle of the slightly thinner picks over the thump of the thicker ones. My Blue Chip TD60s and Dunlop Primetone 1.5s sit forlorn as I now play 90% of the time with the 1.14 mm TD45. I’m not playing a lot of fast bluegrass-style runs, so the thinner picks have started to sound better to me for strumming, but still heavy enough to pick individual strings for solos etc. The 1.5mm picks now sound like they dull things a bit too much. 1.14 or 1.25 seems to give me enough growl, but a bit more sparkle from the treble strings. Another pick I’ve been quite enjoying are the Fender Tortuga Extra Heavy. Those are my “jam night” picks for when beer flows and stuff gets dropped or lost

Anyway, the Charmed Life Blue Casein is an interesting tone. Mellower than what I’m used to, for sure. The treble strings are less strident, but I can still get some chime from them. A lot less pick noise and the attack is warmer, but less punchy. Of course, I haven’t had a lot of time with it yet, so my ears have yet to tell the full tale. I like it, so far. Scott makes amazing products, if this is anything to go by.

Scott: a question, if you read this. I’m guessing your brown series will sound very much like my Blue Chip, correct? How does the black series compare to the brown and the casein?

Thanks! I’m a happy customer!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
My blue casein 1.25mm arrived yesterday and boy is it ever a beauty! Polished to perfection and very comfortable to play. It sort of sticks to your fingers, so no slipping. The tone is quite warm with this one, which is very different from the Blue Chip TD45 I have been using for the past several weeks. I’m impressed!

I should mention I’ve started to prefer the extra sparkle of the slightly thinner picks over the thump of the thicker ones. My Blue Chip TD60s and Dunlop Primetone 1.5s sit forlorn as I now play 90% of the time with the 1.14 mm TD45. I’m not playing a lot of fast bluegrass-style runs, so the thinner picks have started to sound better to me for strumming, but still heavy enough to pick individual strings for solos etc. The 1.5mm picks now sound like they dull things a bit too much. 1.14 or 1.25 seems to give me enough growl, but a bit more sparkle from the treble strings. Another pick I’ve been quite enjoying are the Fender Tortuga Extra Heavy. Those are my “jam night” picks for when beer flows and stuff gets dropped or lost

Anyway, the Charmed Life Blue Casein is an interesting tone. Mellower than what I’m used to, for sure. The treble strings are less strident, but I can still get some chime from them. A lot less pick noise and the attack is warmer, but less punchy. Of course, I haven’t had a lot of time with it yet, so my ears have yet to tell the full tale. I like it, so far. Scott makes amazing products, if this is anything to go by.

Scott: a question, if you read this. I’m guessing your brown series will sound very much like my Blue Chip, correct? How does the black series compare to the brown and the casein?

Thanks! I’m a happy customer!
Thanks so much for the review. For those who have not yet seen our gorgeous new blue casein pick, here's what he's talking about:

I believe you've been with us for quite a while. As you probably noticed, we've made huge strides in our final buffing and polishing stage in the last twelve months. I'm proud to say our picks are as beautiful and finally finished as any pick in the industry. It's take more than three years and well in excess of $10 K to accomplish that. We hope over the next couple years to begin to automate those processes, as everything is still done by hand, and demand has far outstripped our ability to make picks in a timely manner.

Tonally, you're pretty much spot on regarding the blue casein. Casein in general is noted for its warmth, balance, accurate frequency response, quietness across the strings and, in general, a tone very reminiscent of genuine tortoise shell. I say this as someone who has played the real for more than forty years. Originally CLP was only going to market the brown picks, but then I played casein and said, "Well, if I'm gonna start a company, I gotta sell this stuff too. It's just too good."

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-24-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Thanks so much for the review.
My pleasure!
Quote:
Tonally, you're pretty much spot on regarding the blue casein. Casein in general is noted for its warmth, balance, accurate frequency response, quietness across the strings and, in general, a tone very reminiscent of genuine tortoise shell. I say this as someone who has played the real for more than forty years. Originally CLP was only going to market the brown picks, but then I played casein and said, "Well, if I'm gonna start a company, I gotta sell this stuff too. It's just too good."
You did the right thing, I think. Where do the black ones fit in the tonal spectrum?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
My pleasure!

You did the right thing, I think. Where do the black ones fit in the tonal spectrum?
Sorry, I got pulled away in the middle of that last post.

Interesting story on the black. First off, I'm an English prof by training, and I happen to LOVE research. When it looked like we might do this guitar pick thing, I spent a solid year looking at virtually every plastic in the plastics industry to see what make a good guitar pick. I've actually had more than one plastics firm say, "You should come to work here because you know more than us." Honestly not making them up.

About four years ago, one of my favorite reps suggested I take a look at this black stuff. I was leery because whatever we bring in has to equal what we already offer. I have no interest in selling something just to make money. So I got some free sample material and began making prototypes. Then I sent out about two dozen prototypes to players I know around the country, and about 90% loved the stuff. And we tested for more than two full years, because we wanted to make absolutely sure that this stuff rocked.

Anyway, tonally, our players tell us it really cuts through the mix better than the black, so very good for ensemble playing. But also very warmth, balanced and quiet.

Comparing it with what else we sell, yes, it would fall more in the brown camp. It comes from a related molecular family, so there are similarities. We've hung with the line for three years now, and it's really becoming popular. About six months ago I discovered, almost by excellent, that the black is REALLY good on mandolin.

One last thing: I don't people are aware that we focus a lot on THINNER high-end picks. Most of the other folks stop at around 1.0 mm. We now have about a dozen models at or below 1.0 mm, some all the way down to .60 mm, and we're the only ones in the market addressing this huge market.

We're having fun -- and working our butts off.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-24-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I got pulled away in the middle of that last post.

Interesting story on the black. First off, I'm an English prof by training, and I happen to LOVE research. When it looked like we might do this guitar pick thing, I spent a solid year looking at virtually every plastic in the plastics industry to see what make a good guitar pick. I've actually had more than one plastics firm say, "You should come to work here because you know more than us." Honestly not making them up.

About four years ago, one of my favorite reps suggested I take a look at this black stuff. I was leery because whatever we bring in has to equal what we already offer. I have no interest in selling something just to make money. So I got some free sample material and began making prototypes. Then I sent out about two dozen prototypes to players I know around the country, and about 90% loved the stuff. And we tested for more than two full years, because we wanted to make absolutely sure that this stuff rocked.

Anyway, tonally, our players tell us it really cuts through the mix better than the black, so very good for ensemble playing. But also very warmth, balanced and quiet.

Comparing it with what else we sell, yes, it would fall more in the brown camp. It comes from a related molecular family, so there are similarities. We've hung with the line for three years now, and it's really becoming popular. About six months ago I discovered, almost by excellent, that the black is REALLY good on mandolin.

One last thing: I don't people are aware that we focus a lot on THINNER high-end picks. Most of the other folks stop at around 1.0 mm. We now have about a dozen models at or below 1.0 mm, some all the way down to .60 mm, and we're the only ones in the market addressing this huge market.

Thanks!
Scott
Thanks, Scott, for the detailed response.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Charmed Life Picks;6120391]Sorry, I got pulled away in the middle of that last post.

Interesting story on the black. First off, I'm an English prof by training, and I happen to LOVE research. When it looked like we might do this guitar pick thing, I spent a solid year looking at virtually every plastic in the plastics industry to see what might make a good guitar pick. I've actually had more than one plastics firm say, "You should come to work here because you know more than us." Honest -- not making them up.

About four years ago, one of my favorite reps suggested I take a look at this black stuff. I was leery at first because whatever we bring in has to equal, or best, what we already offer. I have no interest in selling something just to make money. So I got some free sample material and began making prototypes. Then I sent out about two dozen prototypes to players I know around the country, and about 90% of them loved the stuff. I told them to play against anything we made AND against any and every other pick on the market. And I always tell people, "Don't blow smoke up my ----; give it to me straight." And we tested for more than two full years, because we wanted to make absolutely sure that this stuff rocked.

Anyway, tonally, our players tell us it really cuts through the mix better than the brown, so very good for ensemble playing. But also very warm, balanced and quiet.

Comparing it with what else we sell, yes, it would fall more in the brown camp. It comes from a related molecular family, so there are similarities. We've hung with the line for three years now, and it's really becoming popular. About six months ago I discovered, almost by accident, that the black is REALLY good on mandolin.

One last thing: I don't think people are aware that we focus a lot on THINNER high-end picks. Most of the other folks stop at around 1.0 mm. We now have about a dozen models at or below 1.0 mm, some all the way down to .60 mm, and we're the only ones in the market addressing this huge market.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 AM

I was really feeling the Blue Casein last night on my Halcyon NL-00. I use 80/20 Gibson Masterbuilt strings on it, as it can get a bit too warm and slightly muddy in the bass with PBs. 80/20s keep the bass more crisp, which I like. With the BC TD45, it can sometimes be a bit strident on the treble strings, but the Charmed Life Blue Casein really calmed that down while keeping the sweet sound. Interesting!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I was really feeling the Blue Casein last night on my Halcyon NL-00. I use 80/20 Gibson Masterbuilt strings on it, as it can get a bit too warm and slightly muddy in the bass with PBs. 80/20s keep the bass more crisp, which I like. With the BC TD45, it can sometimes be a bit strident on the treble strings, but the Charmed Life Blue Casein really calmed that down while keeping the sweet sound. Interesting!
JDTO:

I know you've been with us for a while, but I don't remember if this is the first casein pick you've purchased from us.

A weird thing about this material: It tends to sneak up on you. Since its traits are not dynamic or overwhelming, it tends to grow on players the longer they play it. It happened to me, and this has been reported to me by literally hundreds of players.

You look up one day and realize you've stopped reaching for every other pick in your quiver except the casein, that you're other picks are getting scared and lonely. Again, can't tell you the number of times I've seen this happen.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
JDTO:

I know you've been with us for a while, but I don't remember if this is the first casein pick you've purchased from us.

A weird thing about this material: It tends to sneak up on you. Since its traits are not dynamic or overwhelming, it tends to grow on players the longer they play it. It happened to me, and this has been reported to me by literally hundreds of players.

You look up one day and realize you've stopped reaching for every other pick in your quiver except the casein, that you're other picks are getting scared and lonely. Again, can't tell you the number of times I've seen this happen.

Thanks!
Scott
Sneaky casein, indeed! Yes, this is my first casein from you. I have a couple of the Fast Turtles from John Pearse, as well as another I can't remember (lost it), but this Charmed Life is a special one.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Coming out of the basement after a huge sale in June just wiped us out for July.

We've recently acquired some machinery that will help us streamline our processes going forward. Not sure if that will actually speed us along much. So much of our work is still done by hand, which I suppose does qualify us as a true artisan shop. However, the investment will reduce production costs and keep us financially sound and viable for years to come.

We have some great promos and new products hitting throughout the fall. Thanks for your continued support and in sharing our vision.

We're excited to show you what's coming.

All the Best,
Scott & Rhonda

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 08-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

$5.00 Off All Flame Casein Models till Sunday, August 25th!

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS!

Howdy, everyone. Hope you're all having a great summer.

Till August 25th, we are offering a rare $5.00 discount on ALL our gorgeous flame casein models. This is the number #1 selling line in our company -- truly spectacular picks, with a tone closer to genuine tortoise than anything you will ever play. I say this as someone who has played the real thing for more than for decades, and I guaranteed it. And we back it with the longest return policy in the industry -- 35 days, no questions asked.

This material is a worldwide exclusive to CLP. We found this stuff halfway around the planet and DHL'd it rapido to Los Angeles. Cost a pretty penny, but worth it. And nobody has it but us.

FIRST ORDERS WILL BEGIN SHIPPING BY SEPT 3rd.

Our Store: https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/online-store

NEW, THICKER FLAME MODELS!
For the first time ever, we are offering two of our artisan flame casein models, one teardrop and one triangle, at 1.50 mm. However, this is a SHORT RUN. Order early if interested. When we're out, we're out.

Including the 1.50 mm models, here's the full lineup of flame models for sale:

Teardrop: .90, 1.15 and 1.50
Large Triangle: 1.15 and 1.50
Mandolin: 1.50

The promo is $5 off on every model, plus, as always, FREE SHIPPING!
You will see that the discount has already been netted down for the sale price of each product. Promo ends Sunday 08/25 at 12:00 midnight PST.

Our Online Store: https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/online-store

After years of searching, I found this flame stuff halfway around the world and bought every sheet I could find, then had it DHL'd directly to Los Angeles (not cheap, but worth it). No one has this stuff but us, and we love it love it love it!

I think this is my favorite shot of all our picks I've ever photographed. Is this stuff beautiful, or what? And sounds as good as it looks. Really similar to tortoise in tone and feel. Just amazing.

Not to be outdone, our newest artisan casein color in blue is also a strong seller. We have these right at 1.25 mm in both teardrops and tris.

And finally, our good ol' red casein series. Same manufacturer, same tortoise-like tone. I have these in tris and teardrops at 1.15 mm. I was able to take some new shots of this stunning material recently. Wowsers.

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS!

Feel free to write with questions.

Thanks for taking a look. Sale positively must end August 25th, or when we run out of stock.

All the Best,
Scott & Rhonda
Copyright © *2019 Charmed Life Guitar Picks, All rights reserved.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 08-23-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Flame casein sale ends Sunday 08/25 at midnight.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:40 PM

GET ONE! You will not regret it! I can’t fully describe what is does sonically, but it definitely brings out some tone & shimmer that wasn’t there with my other picks. Also, the pictures don’t do them justice. Beautiful craftsmanship!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to my new ones Scott. Your casein pics sound better than anything else I’ve tried. I do love your black material as well, but the casein is special. Amazing how they just make the sound come alive.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 08-24-2019, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

To the two previous posters: Thanks so much for the kind words. Casein is such a bizarre and wonderful plectrum material. EXTREMELY difficult to work with, but worth the effort. I was stunned when I first played it.

Folks, if you've never played casein, you owe it to yourself. We also sell Vespel picks (same material as Blue Chip), plus our black material (a CLP exclusive) is the bomb as well, so we have a lot of choices for you.

Please drop by and see why there's so much buzz around our company:
https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/online-store

Thanks again, Gentlemen,

Scott Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace