The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, congratulations !

I sure do love me some curvaceous Claro. Let us know how she sounds.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Looks absolutely fantastic.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

GOR-JUS!

I have a Goodall 000 in Cocobolo/Master Adirondack that is a monster. I think you're going to be ecstatic with this one.

Enjoy it in good health!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--that Walnut looks amazing. And the top is nice and creamy for being Adi.

Congrats--looking forward to your full review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
GOR-JUS!

I have a Goodall 000 in Cocobolo/Master Adirondack that is a monster. I think you're going to be ecstatic with this one.

Enjoy it in good health!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks absolutely fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Beautiful guitar, congratulations !

I sure do love me some curvaceous Claro. Let us know how she sounds.
Thanks for checking in on this one guys. And Deft, I see you own a guitar made using Higuerilla. You don’t see that often. Here’s the back side of my Adi/Higuerilla OM.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Paul ! Looks like we've found ourselves with some fabulous sets of under-appreciated tonewoods, right ?

I'm confident your Goodall will deliver the goods. I had a GC for ten years that was a great guitar and paved the way to where I stand now. May you enjoy yours for a long, long time !

And just for another glimpse of the eye candy, here's some lovely Claro Walnut :

And a stunning set of Higuerilla :

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

The eagle has landed. I picked it up yesterday and have a couple hours into it. The guitar build is perfectly executed and the tone is outstanding. This one is a bit stiff and needs some play time. James had asked me if I wanted to try Elixir HD PB strings on this one and since they had worked so well on my SCGC OMG, I agreed. I’m not sure that they are the best fit on this guitar. I’ll give them a week before I decide, but my first impression is that straight PB lights might be a better option on this guitar. The Adirondack top is perhaps the nicest set of Adi I’ve ever seen. The Walnut B&S are incredibly beautiful. It plays effortlessly and has a nicely balanced range from a very deep bass through ringing trebles. I specified walnut B&S to tame some of the overtones I typically hear in Goodall guitars — mission accomplished. There are ample overtones, but clearly not as much as my Sitka/EIR GC. I will provide sound samples when I get this one sorted out. James and Jean are a pleasure to work with. I’m a happy camper!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Paul!

Walnut is such a great tonewood and when I have played Goodalls made from it I have been really impressed. As you say, that wonderful Goodall sound is there but the overtones are just a bit more manageable.

And that is a phenomenal set of claro . It looks like it has a lot of that flamy texture that you can sometimes get. I’m envious, and I hope you enjoy it for many years!

Col
Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Sound Samples

Ok,I’ve had this guitar for about a week and like it a lot. It’s still new and I don’t always trust the honeymoon period for tonal accuracy, but I think this one’s got it. I’m still playing around with different strings and this guitar needs some play time.

Anyway here are a couple of down n dirty sound samples on an iPhone using voice recorder software. I’m not sure it will tell you much and certainly doesn’t do the instrument justice. I’ve attached a short finger and short flat pick ditty with a brand new 10 week old puppy literally nipping my socks while I play.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-27-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Paul,

Congrats on your stunning looking and great sounding new Goodall! The sound samples remind me very much of a sitka and walnut Goodall that I fell in love with a month or two ago. I hope this one makes the cut for you. Enjoy it!!

Is that puppy a lab?
Old 08-31-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hey Paul,

Congrats on your stunning looking and great sounding new Goodall! The sound samples remind me very much of a sitka and walnut Goodall that I fell in love with a month or two ago. I hope this one makes the cut for you. Enjoy it!!

Is that puppy a lab?
Hi Larry. The guitar is an absolute thing of beauty. And I’m thinking it will stay around for a while

Yes. That’s Bruno, my new little Lab buddy. We lost our old boy about 5 months ago and (as always) it’s rough. But life goes on. We got on a local breeder’s list and voila! Enter Bruno. My playing puts him to sleep. I’m not sure what that means...
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Hi Larry. The guitar is an absolute thing of beauty. And I’m thinking it will stay around for a while

Yes. That’s Bruno, my new little Lab buddy. We lost our old boy about 5 months ago and (as always) it’s rough. But life goes on. We got on a local breeder’s list and voila! Enter Bruno. My playing puts him to sleep. I’m not sure what that means...
That’s a good looking pup. It’s so hard to lose one, but glad you got another to raise and enjoy. Regarding your playing putting him to sleep - all that means is it makes him comfortable and at peace. You now have a companion in music as well!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Great guitar and great wood combination. It'll take some play time - perhaps 30 hours in my experience - for the guitar to loosen up a bit. Usually, I hear a little more compression and musicality in a brand new instrument after that time. I find rosewood Goodalls to be a little over the top in the overtone department. I bet this walnut guitar is just right.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Great guitar and great wood combination. It'll take some play time - perhaps 30 hours in my experience - for the guitar to loosen up a bit. Usually, I hear a little more compression and musicality in a brand new instrument after that time. I find rosewood Goodalls to be a little over the top in the overtone department. I bet this walnut guitar is just right.
Thanks for checking in and offering your comments. I’ve got about 15-20 hours in on this one and there already is a very noticeable softening. It’s funny how different guitars can be, even built by the same builder. My other Goodall played like a years-old guitar from day 1. This one’s different, but I already love playing it. It’s a very good start.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop