The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 AM

There is a lot to like about JP strings on the right guitar. I've found that the PB's sound best on my Alvarez Yairis.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 AM

I totally agree.

I use JP phosphor bronze lights on both of my guitars (an OM with mahogany B&S, and a 00 with rosewood B&S). They work extremely well on both. Experimenting with strings is always fun - but it's nice to have a reliable go-to option.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
You should try the new Slightly Light Customs. I tad more bass.
I just took a look at them on the Stringsbymail.com site. On that site it looks like they offer them in 80/20, but not PB. Do they only come in 80/20?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Great strings. I like the PBs and the Pure Nickels. My Rosewood backed guitars live in Pearse 80/20s.

For me, the strings last (especially the Nickels). It’s all down to specific body chemistry.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax Player Guy View Post
I just took a look at them on the Stringsbymail.com site. On that site it looks like they offer them in 80/20, but not PB. Do they only come in 80/20?
No, the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings are the most popular alloy they make. Not every retailer carries every alloy, though.

whm
Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I also enjoy John Pearse strings. The tone is wonderful, as is the feel.

I use the Pure Nickels and PBs. I have no problem with longevity with them, especially the Pure Nickels which last very long.

I also like the fact that they now use the plastic sealed reusable outer sleeve over the paper packaging to seal out moisture, I am confident buying them in larger quantities. We use the plastic outer sleeves for other purposes in our jewelry business and workshop. They are high-quality sleeves.

They include some kind of chemical-laden wipe to make the strings last longer, but I have never needed to use them.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 AM

+1 JP Slightly Lights

I really like them on my OM Larrivee guitars. I tend to play a lot, and also probably a little quieter than most. Warmth & shimmer would be how I would describe what I like.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 05-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I like JP PB strings quite a lot. They do seem to die fairly fast, but the tones they produce are worth a few extra string changes.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:52 PM

Count me as a Pearse convert. I found that the 570c PBs are just perfect on my Larrivee L-10, since they don't choke the Italian Alpine top too much. I also find that they last almost as long as the Elixirs they replaced.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax Player Guy View Post
I bought mine at String and Beyond:
Old 05-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

They were my favorite strings for a very long time. I still like them. I do find they are relatively short lived for my play. However, for great strings at a great price and unbeatable service - check out AGF sponsor Shoreline Music (https://shorelinemusic.com/collectio...pearse-strings) Just put “AGF” in code for a 10% discount at checkout. Shipping is always free, and fast.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
They were my favorite strings for a very long time. I still like them. I do find they are relatively short lived for my play. However, for great strings at a great price and unbeatable service - check out AGF sponsor Shoreline Music (https://shorelinemusic.com/collectio...pearse-strings) Just put “AGF” in code for a 10% discount at checkout. Shipping is always free, and fast.
Too bad they don't have the new Slightly light Customs. I've only found one place so far that carries them; Strings and Beyond.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Too bad they don't have the new Slightly light Customs. I've only found one place so far that carries them; Strings and Beyond.
I’m sure Shoreline would be happy to carry them if you expressed interest in getting them. The folks at Shoreline are big fans of John Pearse strings, and can get whatever gauges John Pearse/Breezy Ridge makes quite quickly.

whm
Old 05-26-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Big fan of the feel and sound of 600L’s myself, though their longevity is about half most D’Addario’s. I like that they are pretty much “perfect” right out of the pack, not abrasive for the first twenty minutes like many strings.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 05-26-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
No, the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings are the most popular alloy they make. Not every retailer carries every alloy, though.
whm
paulzoom
Quote:
I bought mine at Strings and Beyond

Thanks, Wade and Paul. I will check out those strings via Strings and Beyond.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion