The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-22-2019, 07:34 PM

The Seymour Duncan SH-18 WHOLE LOTTA HUMBUCKER set also looks interesting. Apparently inspired by Jimmy Page's set. Does anyone have any experience with this vs. say, the SD Antiquities?
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 PM

I’ve been reading a lot and watching YT videos. I have to wonder how much difference one kind of SD, for example, can make over another. Pearly Gates vs 59 vs Slash model, etc. I’m sure they are all great. One frustrating thing is the videos on some websites showcasing their pickups, but there is no before and after to make a fair comparison. I even saw one YT video of a guy who changed the stock Epiphone LP pickups for some kind of SDs and the originals sounded a lot better. I’m starting to think I might as well leave well enough alone.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I’ve been reading a lot and watching YT videos. I have to wonder how much difference one kind of SD, for example, can make over another. Pearly Gates vs 59 vs Slash model, etc. I’m sure they are all great. One frustrating thing is the videos on some websites showcasing their pickups, but there is no before and after to make a fair comparison. I even saw one YT video of a guy who changed the stock Epiphone LP pickups for some kind of SDs and the originals sounded a lot better. I’m starting to think I might as well leave well enough alone.
Leave well enough alone??? Where's the fun in that, lol! Fact of the matter is that you'll get different advice all the time. Chasing your tone is a process of trial and error, and although an unlimited budget would be nice, for most of us it's just a matter buying the best we can afford and hoping that we strike gold or at least get close enough on the first try!! You'll only continue to second-guess yourself if you go the cheap route.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top

Last edited by skyblue314; 08-24-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:41 AM

I bought a lower end Epi LP over a year ago and didn't like the stock pick ups. Tried SD Custom Custom in the bridge, but didn't really like it. It currently has a SD Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio (DP193) Air Norton in the neck. I have several SD and DiMarzio pickups in a variety of guitars. They all have their own sound. I think descriptions can get you in the ball park, but each pickup has its own sound which can vary between guitars due to woods, other electronics, and construction. Try some different ones if you can.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
I bought a lower end Epi LP over a year ago and didn't like the stock pick ups. Tried SD Custom Custom in the bridge, but didn't really like it. It currently has a SD Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio (DP193) Air Norton in the neck. I have several SD and DiMarzio pickups in a variety of guitars. They all have their own sound. I think descriptions can get you in the ball park, but each pickup has its own sound which can vary between guitars due to woods, other electronics, and construction. Try some different ones if you can.
Thanks for the input. Trying new pickups for me, unfortunately, means a trip to my tech each time which means money. I should probably learn how to do it myself.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 AM

I just ordered a set of 57 Alnico 2, Guitar Madness PUPs for $36 for the set of 2. I'll try to install them next weekend and maybe even do an A/B test before and after and post it here.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM

If you are doing standard installation (no coil slplits, etc.), this isn't too bad of a do-it-yourself job. I suck at soldering and that's what has always taken me the most time. There are a couple good side-by-side diagrams on the internet, but generally SD uses the black wire and DiMarzio uses the red to the output with the white & other (black or red) soldered together (I then warp the exposed wire with electrical tape). I dislike soldering so bad that I'm going to try some small electrical connectors (from hardware store) to allow for no soldering and easier pick up changes. I've had a Jackson JS11 & pair of DiMarzios for a couple of weeks waiting on me to be motivated to try this new method.

There are some good instructional videos on youtube. I haven't changed pickups on my American made Strat or GLPs, but just about everything else is fair game. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I just ordered a set of 57 Alnico 2, Guitar Madness PUPs for $36 for the set of 2. I'll try to install them next weekend and maybe even do an A/B test before and after and post it here.
Hey Rob, I'll be looking forward to your review.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars