The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM

I will second Barb's comment. I met Joe at the Reno Ukulele Festival in Spring 2016, where I first played an El Capitan. That very early example had somewhat high action (but still acceptable to me) because of a minor neck angle issue, and Joe refused to sell it to me. He simply did not want a guitar with a QC issue out there representing the brand, and limited that one to use as a demo unit at shows and in the shop. (He struggled to keep one in stock to demo, because they were/are flying off the shelves). So it might be a bit unfair to condemn all of the El Capitan models based on one example, and one tech's opinion.

Having said that, there is much to love about all the CF brands - Rainsong, Blackbird, Composite Acoustics, Emerald, Journey, etc. We own them all except the Journey. But no guitar brand can be all things to all players. If that were so, Martin would be out of business due to Taylor, or vice versa.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I will second Barb's comment. I met Joe at the Reno Ukulele Festival in Spring 2016, where I first played an El Capitan. That very early example had somewhat high action (but still acceptable to me) because of a minor neck angle issue, and Joe refused to sell it to me. He simply did not want a guitar with a QC issue out there representing the brand, and limited that one to use as a demo unit at shows and in the shop. (He struggled to keep one in stock to demo, because they were/are flying off the shelves). So it might be a bit unfair to condemn all of the El Capitan models based on one example, and one tech's opinion.

Having said that, there is much to love about all the CF brands - Rainsong, Blackbird, Composite Acoustics, Emerald, Journey, etc. We own them all except the Journey. But no guitar brand can be all things to all players. If that were so, Martin would be out of business due to Taylor, or vice versa.
The background information is very helpful! I didn't mean to be so critical. It just was concerning on the Savoy. I think every manufacturer runs into challenges. All works in progress. My bad for making a generalization. Again my apologies.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 12-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:32 AM

The new Sable that which was released in 4/2018 comes with many upgrades over the first Sable models.

Hello Alan,

We shipped our first Sable 2/18/2016. They were under the Kevin Michael brand at that time.

Since that time, we have redesigned the entire guitar except for the shape of the body and neck.

The changes include:

New layering process for the top
New brace kit
Stiffer carbon truss rod
Fret markers
Enclosed Hipshot tuners
Gold Schaller Tuners and Gold EVO frets option (upcharge)
Honeycomb weave top option
New Baggs pickup
New higher quality paint on back and sides
New blend of carbon fiber for all molded parts

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks,

Larry Klenc
General Manager/Artist Relations
McPherson Custom Guitars
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 12-06-2018, 05:25 AM

Here's your buddy Larry at Winter NAMM 2017 with a Sable

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
The new Sable that which was released in 4/2018 comes with many upgrades over the first Sable models.

Hello Alan,

We shipped our first Sable 2/18/2016. They were under the Kevin Michael brand at that time.

Since that time, we have redesigned the entire guitar except for the shape of the body and neck.

The changes include:

New layering process for the top
New brace kit
Stiffer carbon truss rod
Fret markers
Enclosed Hipshot tuners
Gold Schaller Tuners and Gold EVO frets option (upcharge)
Honeycomb weave top option
New Baggs pickup
New higher quality paint on back and sides
New blend of carbon fiber for all molded parts

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks,

Larry Klenc
General Manager/Artist Relations
McPherson Custom Guitars
Hmm, might be time to trade in my early production touring model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber