The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 AM

Default Tusq vs. Bone Saddle - Old Yamaha FGs

I am about to replace the saddle on my old FG-331. I will probably get a full setup, but don't want to invest too much money, as I only paid CDN$145 for the 331. It's neck is fine - no reset needed. However, $200 for full setup w/bone not and saddle seems much.

I could go Tusq saddle, install myself, leave the original plastic nut, and then get the setup. I put a Tusq saddle in an old "Martin" Goya (Tusq bridge pins, as well) and it really brightened it up. Sounded great. Wondering is a simple Tusq saddle might be the inexpensive way to slightly brighten the 331. I've read the Tusq saddles are not long enough to fill the bridge. I've also considered sending the nut and saddle to Bob Colosi, as my sister lives in St Marys, GA. Might be some sort of sign there!

Anyone used Tusq saddles, over bone, on these old FGs? Again, thinking frugal here.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 AM

I changed my saddle from the plastic to compensated bone on my FG450S and the difference was noticeably better. The tech even said, “It’s almost like there’s a slight reverb on it now”. The adjectives that get thrown around about tone are sometimes laughable, but the 2 that come to my mind are more “complex” and “richer”. Hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 AM

200 seems high. I would not bother changing the nut, as long as its functioning properly. Sound change will not be noticeable. Buy a bone or tusq saddle and do setup yourself or take it somewhere
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 AM

I just put a bone saddle in my FSX730SC. Actually, the 2nd bone saddle. The first one I ordered was too short, I searched for bone saddle for Yamaha and got a slightly longer one. Fits great. Needed to sand the height down some, very easy to do. Came with instructions from McNichols. Great sounding too.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 12-10-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
I just put a bone saddle in my FSX730SC. Actually, the 2nd bone saddle. The first one I ordered was too short, I searched for bone saddle for Yamaha and got a slightly longer one. Fits great. Needed to sand the height down some, very easy to do. Came with instructions from McNichols. Great sounding too.
I've replaced saddles on many thrift store finds. Never bothered with the nut. Its the frets I've never done.

Someone here sent me an email w/some info no the fret-levelling process, and tools. Perhaps I'll take a cut at that process. My curiosity was w/Tusq - how it sounded, on a 70's Yamaha.

Thanks, one and all!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 AM

I have guitars that came with Tusq saddles. On none of them, did Tusq sound better than a good bone saddle, like a Colosi saddle.
To me, Tusq is bright to the point of harshness. Bone is just warmer. I suppose if you had a very dull sounding instrument, Tusq might be a better material.
For the nut, I am not as inclined to change out bone for Tusq since the nut has less effect on the overall sound.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Hi Everton -

I do not own an old Yamaha, but I have installed bone saddles on both Yamahas and on one that I sold. All 3 have been nice upgrades and worth the effort - low cost and easy to do yourself.

Contact MacNichols here: [email protected]

I bought all of the bone saddles for my Yamahas from them. You can get them in bleached or unbleached. They are responsive, efficient, and great to work with.

I did not replace the nut - that is a do-it-yourself job that I am not brave enough to attempt, but sanding the saddle to the appropriate height and fitting it into the guitar is a simple process to do yourself.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster

Last edited by JBCROTTY; 12-10-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I am about to replace the saddle on my old FG-331. I will probably get a full setup, but don't want to invest too much money, as I only paid CDN$145 for the 331. It's neck is fine - no reset needed. However, $200 for full setup w/bone not and saddle seems much.

Anyone used Tusq saddles, over bone, on these old FGs? Again, thinking frugal here.
IF the setup includes fret level and crown, plus nut, plus saddle $200 isn't out of the ordinary. But as you say, you only paid $145 USD... So is the quality of the guitar worth putting the money into? A standard setup including level and crown runs around $100 USD from a professional shop. The shops here charge about $75 for a bone nut. Not sure about the saddle, but you can buy a bone nut yourself for $15 and fit it yourself. However if you'r getting your frets leveled it all has to be done at the same time, or you're wasting your money setup. Same goes for a self-fitted TUSQ after the fact.

TUSQ saddles have a much different sound than bone. Bone produces a warmer sound than TUSQ or micarta, thought micarta is closer. With a low valued guitar you have to make a decision as to further invest in it. If it's a great guitar than the value of it as a musical instrument is greater than the price that you paid. But you can't put lipstick on a pig thinking it will become a beauty queen.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 AM

A friend of mine who is a budding luthier in his retirement changed out the plastic nut and saddle on my 1979 FG365s, replacing them with bone. He also replaced the plastic end pins with a Tusq set, and did a full setup. The difference in that guitar from before to after is truly astounding. I would put that guitar up against a D-35 of similar vintage and fell confident that it wouldn't be laughed off anyway. I paid $299 in 1979 for it which was a lot back then, at least to me. In my case, he did the work gratis (no matter how much I protested) saying that he just likes to do the work.

If that guitar is like mine to you, IE literally traveled the world with me and I've had it longer than my wife and kids -- then really if the work is done right you'll have a keepsake that will likely play and sound better for years to come making $200 a small price to pay. IF the work is done right....

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 12-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
A friend of mine who is a budding luthier in his retirement changed out the plastic nut and saddle on my 1979 FG365s, replacing them with bone. He also replaced the plastic end pins with a Tusq set, and did a full setup. The difference in that guitar from before to after is truly astounding. I would put that guitar up against a D-35 of similar vintage and fell confident that it wouldn't be laughed off anyway. I paid $299 in 1979 for it which was a lot back then, at least to me. In my case, he did the work gratis (no matter how much I protested) saying that he just likes to do the work.

If that guitar is like mine to you, IE literally traveled the world with me and I've had it longer than my wife and kids -- then really if the work is done right you'll have a keepsake that will likely play and sound better for years to come making $200 a small price to pay. IF the work is done right....
I've only had my 331 since August 2017. But I read so many reviews comparing them, not toe-to-toe - but as a worthy guitar to strum and pick amongst a group of other, higher-end instruments. "They hold their own", as it's often put. I have this funny feeling, with a bone nut/saddle/pins and full set up, it will be a guitar that stuns me. Again, no neck reset on the horizon here. I wonder if the work will turn a beater, into a guitar worthy of lifelong enjoyment. I could always sell ti down the road, and recoup some of the expense.

Leaning towards either doing this, or selling to save for something else. Tough call - many say the 331 is one of the best, of the old Yamaha's, and not the easiest to find. I'd have to agree - I liked my 335ii, as well.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 PM

If that guitar is like mine to you, IE literally traveled the world with me and I've had it longer than my wife and kids -- then really if the work is done right you'll have a keepsake that will likely play and sound better for years to come making $200 a small price to pay. IF the work is done right...

I'm fond of saying that once the inevitable neck reset has been done, your grandchildren will be playing that guitar!
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM

My house guitar is my redone FG331.

One of the reasons that reworked Yamahas sound better, is the replacement of the soft old loose plastic saddle by a well fitted bone/Tusq/whatever saddle. I always replace the nut, as the string spacing is always goofy.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
My house guitar is my redone FG331.

One of the reasons that reworked Yamahas sound better, is the replacement of the soft old loose plastic saddle by a well fitted bone/Tusq/whatever saddle. I always replace the nut, as the string spacing is always goofy.
Is the recording in your signature with the 331?

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion