The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Default Plywood is not tone wood?

I've heard the statement "Playwood is not tone wood" Yet by definition of plywood, layers laminate back and sides (even the nice type used by Taylor, Sigma, etc..) is plywood. As are the tops on high end classical guitars.

Since classical guitar luthiers are using plywood tops (again, see the definition of plywood) is it really true when you glue thin layers of wood together it is no longer "tone wood". It makes no sense if layering the wood together in this fashion really disqualified it from being tone wood then luthiers wouldn't use it... My Alvarez has laminated Rosewood b&s and it sounds great and I do wonder how much better it would sound if it weren't laminate and wonder if I would notice at all.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-30-2014, 09:03 PM

playwood, plywood, tonewood. . .let's call the whole thing off!

find a solid wood one to play as that MAY give you the difference.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM

All wood is "tone wood" isn't it? I don't know of any type of wood you can use to make a guitar that doesn't have a tone
Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Guest 1928

The conventional definition for plywood is an odd number of veneer layers with opposing grain directions. The cheaper laminates used for instrument making some sort of "junk" wood for the interior layer and it is often at 90 degrees to the grain on the faces.

However, there are also better grades of laminated wood which use higher quality tone wood for the inner layer and the grain for all three layers run in the same direction. All laminates are not created equal.

Some laminated guitar do sound good, but all else being equal, a solid wood guitar is going to sound more lively.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 PM

What high end classicals are made with plywood tops?
Martin 000-18
Ibanez AC340opn
Old 03-30-2014, 09:42 PM

I believe the OP may be referring to high end classical guitars that have double tops which, although laminated, should in no way be confused with plywood. There was a thread regarding double tops earlier this week:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=double+top
Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 PM

A lot of laminated guitars sound good, but they don't age. A solid wood guitar, over the years, will sound better at ten years old than it did when it was new. A laminated guitar is gonna sound like it did when you took it out of the box when you are seventy years old .
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM

PT boat hulls were made with plywood. Some hand craft instrument builders use multi-ply/laminates. Sometimes harder than the hubs of hell can be a good thing.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorker View Post
Sometimes harder than the hubs of hell can be a good thing.
Not for a guitar.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 03-30-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
I believe the OP may be referring to high end classical guitars that have double tops which, although laminated, should in no way be confused with plywood. There was a thread regarding double tops earlier this week:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=double+top
Yes, this... Two or more layers glued together = laminate. But as others have stated they aren't all equal. Sadly we have no system for grading quality of laminates since so many budget end guitars use them for back and sides. Most recently played a Sigma OOO-15m against a Martin OOO-15m, the Martin of course having sold mog b&s. Having the played the Sigma I would only shell out for the Martin version because of my desire to own "the real thing" but being objective tone wise, the Sigma version was on the money. I consider my ears pretty good.

With my Blueridge however, I could her a difference between the solid B&S model and the one with laminate b&s. So obviously my experience on the Sigma is not universal.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Double sides

A number of high-end builders, following Erwin Somogyi, are using laminated sides, but with carefully chosen woods for the interior. The theory is that the two layers make the sides more rigid, and the entire body becomes more drum-like. The sides then transmit more vibration between top and bottom, rather than absorbing energy by deflecting. Or so it's been explained to me.

It also makes the sides less prone to damage.

Of course, we're talking about master-grade woods and top-tier artisan techniques here, not mass-production factory work.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 PM

Cool Plywood is not tone wood???

I have several classical guitars, and there is huge difference in the richness of tone, between a double-layered and laminated rosewood. One of mine has a solid Engelmann spruce soundboard (reinforced around the hole) and with double-layered rosewood back & sides. No inside cross-bracing on the back, which is arched. The top is also arched, with an elevated fretboard, but lattice braced. Better sound than my solid cedar/solid rosewood classical.

I also have a number of steel-string all solid wood guitars, as well as a few with a solid top, but laminate back & sides, and a couple all laminate guitars. Solid wood guitars sound the best, with the solid top/laminate back & sides a very close 2nd, and the all laminate guitars placing 3rd, even though with the right strings, I can get them sounding pretty good, too. String selection can make a huge difference in the tone of any guitar.

When I first get the guitar, it's not unusual for me to experiment with several sets of strings until I get the tone I'm seeking for that specific guitar. I might end up with a different brand, or different string construction, because every guitar is different. I use the "Taylor" method for string installation, so I can remove them for use on another guitar down the road. They all sound a little different, but that's the nature of the beast. Don't lock yourself into one type of string or a single brand. When you find the right strings for your guitar, you'll know it. They will sing to you!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Plywood produces a tone. Not always a pleasing tone but a tone none the less. My laminated Seagull sounds pretty good. My plywood bass sounds pretty good. My plywood "mahogany" travel guitar? Sounds like a six string ukelele.

It's not what goes into the guitar, but what comes out of the sound hole, that makes it good.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Taylor has just changed their marketing term for their "laminate" guitars to "layered woods" just so that it doesn't get mixed in with laminates, and potentially plywood, that are perhaps made of lesser quality. Taylor uses popular for the inner layer.

Seagull does a great job with their laminates.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The conventional definition for plywood is an odd number of veneer layers with opposing grain directions. The cheaper laminates used for instrument making some sort of "junk" wood for the interior layer and it is often at 90 degrees to the grain on the faces.

However, there are also better grades of laminated wood which use higher quality tone wood for the inner layer and the grain for all three layers run in the same direction. All laminates are not created equal.

Some laminated guitar do sound good, but all else being equal, a solid wood guitar is going to sound more lively.
I'm curious about the above underlined sentence. Because the opposing grain directions in various plys is what DW Drums uses as their claim to fame in the current line of drums they produce. Their HVX shells are built around varying plys of horizontal,vertical and diagonal grains within one drum shell for strength and varying tone and pitch.

I admit I understand drums better than I do guitars when it comes to their construction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion