The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2024, 10:11 PM

Default Eastman Special and Deluxe Guitars

Does anyone know what accounts for the sonic difference between the Eastman special and deluxe guitars?

I'm interested in the OM size ones, and based on a couple YT videos, the special and deluxe models sound very different. Is the only difference between them the quilted sapele b&s versus non-quilted?

Also does anyone know if the special models are out of production now and going out of stock?
Old 06-18-2024, 12:30 AM

Quilted b/s shouldn't make a significant difference.

Did the videos you watched have direct comparisons? If not, videos from different sources (or even from the same source but different times) could easily come down to players, room, mics, eq, and post production.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

I have two Eastman flat tops.

The E20-P (their version of the Martin 0-28).

My E40-00 is their version of a Martin 0045 or similar.

I paid twice as much for the E40, as the E20.

The E20 is a fine guitar, well set up , easy to play, and louder than one might expect from such a small instrument.

The E40 is a very different animal. Not as strident as the E20, but far more lightly built, lightly braced, and more subtle.

See :

and

I would love to compare both of these guitars with the new Martin 0-12-28, and 00-12-28. both of which would cost me twice as much as the E40.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

The E1OM Special has a thermo-cured Sitka top over Quilted Sapele and is standard scale (25.4"). The E1OM Deluxe has a non baked Sitka top over solid Sapele and a short scale (24.9"). I'd go for the former but I prefer standard scale length. And I think Eastman's TC guitars are a bit more to my liking. Good luck whatever you decide!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-18-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The E1OM Special has a thermo-cured Sitka top over Quilted Sapele and is standard scale (25.4"). The E1OM Deluxe has a non baked Sitka top over solid Sapele and a short scale (24.9"). I'd go for the former but I prefer standard scale length. And I think Eastman's TC guitars are a bit more to my liking. Good luck whatever you decide!
Oh I didn't realize the deluxe ones weren't TC. I'd really like to try the OM special.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
Oh I didn't realize the deluxe ones weren't TC. I'd really like to try the OM special.
Trying to find these limited release (at least I assume they are?) guitars might be difficult unless you are in striking distance to a sizable Eastman dealer like Sweetwater or the like. Might be easier to order online from a dealer who has a liberal return policy without restocking fees. Of course you'll pay shipping both ways should you decide not to keep it?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-18-2024, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

It's easy to check Eastman's website to see all the differences in the models: https://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoustic_orchestra

According to their site, all of the Special and Deluxe models are short scale except of the E1OM special non cutaway which is long scale.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:06 AM

I first bought a new E10D in 2017 with nitro finish. Picked up a used E1OM satin finish due to physical issues. Liked it so much got a new E1OM-SPCE. Itís the best of the three, but they are all great in their own right. The new gloss seems to be my favorite so far out of those three, itís quieter to the touch than satin but I never had any issues with the nitro.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have an E1OM Deluxe, and visually, and from what I gather on Eastman's website, it looks like the top is thermally cured. It's not listed in the specs, but in the available finishes, there is only one finish listed - Thermo Cure Natural (the same finish as the E1OM Special). It could be a case of bad copy on Eastman's website.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1om_dlx

I like my E1OM Deluxe - it's slightly shorter 24.9" scale length, makes it sound a bit warmer (sort of, but not quite heading into Gibson territory), than your typical 25.5" scale guitar. It's one of my favorites.

My Smile Makers:

Eastman E1OM Deluxe
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2005 Gretsch Country Country Club
Squier CV 70s Jaguar
Old 06-19-2024, 09:17 AM

I ended up ordering the AC222CE Deluxe instead of the OM. Should arrive next week sometime.
Old 07-09-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I first bought a new E10D in 2017 with nitro finish. Picked up a used E1OM satin finish due to physical issues. Liked it so much got a new E1OM-SPCE. Itís the best of the three, but they are all great in their own right. The new gloss seems to be my favorite so far out of those three, itís quieter to the touch than satin but I never had any issues with the nitro.

Ten, is the gloss neck easy to play? Iíve had some trouble with my clammy hands sticking a bit to a gloss finish. I welcome your input.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS View Post
Ten, is the gloss neck easy to play? I’ve had some trouble with my clammy hands sticking a bit to a gloss finish. I welcome your input.
The E1OM Special does not have a gloss neck.

Only the AC122 and 222 deluxe, AC322, 422, etc. have glossy necks as far as I know. You can tell by looking at photos or videos.. if the headstock is glossy then the neck is glossy.

For clammy hands, get one of the Eastmans with the satin, non-open pore finish neck. One of the "special" models or the E6 or E8, E10, E20 models have them I think.
Old 07-10-2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
The E1OM Special does not have a gloss neck.

Only the AC122 and 222 deluxe, AC322, 422, etc. have glossy necks as far as I know. You can tell by looking at photos or videos.. if the headstock is glossy then the neck is glossy.

For clammy hands, get one of the Eastmans with the satin, non-open pore finish neck. One of the "special" models or the E6 or E8, E10, E20 models have them I think.

Thank you for your input!
Old 07-10-2024, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Both of My Eastmans have ....had Glossy necks which with my dry old hands tended to squeak.

I rang my to my tech and he said, come over, I have a product that will resolve that. He gave me a 10" x 6"sheet of a grey plastic pan scourer .... Scotchbrite ?

It took it home. It did the job beautifully.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I rang my to my tech and he said, come over, I have a product that will resolve that. He gave me a 10" x 6"sheet of a grey plastic pan scourer .... Scotchbrite ?
It took it home. It did the job beautifully.
Yep. I always kept one of those green scrubbers in my guitar case when frequently gigging. I did this for years and still havenít worn through the finish on the neck yet. Maybe because Iím just removing the oil and dead skin coating that I keep applying to it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion