The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-17-2024, 08:51 AM

Default Old Yamaha

I have been playing steel string and electric guitar for 22 years and play weekly as a church music director.
My dad recently gave me his old G-150A. I know it is a pretty entry level classical, but I would like to get it able to play on stage.
Here are the issues with it:
Stiff Tuning machines (they are ok with no tension)Should I replace, and if so, with what?
Intonation is off (I suspect due to high action because of the high bridge) Can I simply shave the old saddle down?
No pickup: I would like a reasonably prices, and fairly natural sounding pickup. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:21 AM

Default old Yamaha classical

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaPickles View Post
I
My dad recently gave me his old G-150A.

Here are the issues with it:
Stiff Tuning machines (they are ok with no tension)Should I replace, and if so, with what?
Intonation is off (I suspect due to high action because of the high bridge) Can I simply shave the old saddle down?
No pickup: I would like a reasonably prices, and fairly natural sounding pickup. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Regarding the tuners, you can try dismounting the tuning machines and lubricating them with a suitable grease. Some people use vaseline on the crown and worm gear of each tuner. I use a dry bicycle chain lube, which seems to work pretty well. If you can take the crown gear retaining screw out of each tuner, disassemble the rollers and clean and lube all the bearing surfaces, so much the better. Beeswax in the tuner holes in the peghead will also help - use enough to cover the surface of the holes where the rollers go. Then reassemble and reinstall the tuners and see if that cured your problem.

If no luck with cleaning and lubing, you'll need new tuners. I've had good luck with Der Jung tuners from Zeb Turrentine. Google "classical guitar tuners" and you'll find his website. I like the ones with a roller bearing at the end of the roller and a gear ratio of 18:1.

Before you order a new set though, make sure the roller spacing is the standard 35 mm (center to center) on the old set of tuners. If it's not, Zeb sells a set of 6 individual tuners which should drop right in - if the roller diameter on the old tuners is the standard 10 mm. Measure both before you order anything. There are a lot of guitars out there from the 1960s that don't use the standard roller spacing and diameter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
acoustic amplification, classical guitars, intonation. bridge