The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-09-2024, 10:00 AM

Default Switch out cone?

I just acquired a Recording King RK75-PL (Phil Leadbetter signature) resonator. I have been reading about the Beard cones and wonder if it would be a good idea to switch out the cone for a Beard. I think the Recording King has a spun cone, but I'm not sure. I'm just now learning the resonator guitar, so I don't know yet what I don't know about it.

What are your thoughts resonator players?
Old 06-09-2024, 01:47 PM

There are two types of cone: spun and lug. As with mahogany versus rosewood, the sounds are different. Which you like is purely a matter of taste.

Like rose versus mahogany, the price differences reflects the costs the makers have to bear, not the sound quality. That's purely subjective.

There's no clear brand leader for spun cones. Beard is good, so is Quarterman, so are others. Some say they all sound the same, others say they have slightly different voices. I don't hear a difference.

But if you decide you want one, check the size before you order! They're not all the same diameter.

I don't know that the Beard cone will be any louder or clearer or more sustainful than the stock cone. The best place to ask is at one of the resonator forums, where the members are highly knowledgeable as with all online forums, sometimes annoyingly so.

You might even decide you'd rather have a lug (a.k.a. stamped) cone. They have a more old-time sound. While some players switch from lug to spun for a more modern sound, others swap out their spun cones for lugs.

The only way to know for sure is to hear some of each. Again, the folks at a resonator forum can suggest some artists to listen to.

Let us know what you decide. Operators are standing by!
Old 06-09-2024, 03:07 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm checking ResoHangout and ResoNation.
Old 06-11-2024, 12:26 PM

I certainly love my Beard wood-bodied, spider bridge/cone resonator. I never thought I'd buy a resonator guitar, until I heard & played my friend's Goldtone PB Signature res: then, I had to have one!
Old 06-11-2024, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I just acquired a Recording King RK75-PL (Phil Leadbetter signature) resonator. I have been reading about the Beard cones and wonder if it would be a good idea to switch out the cone for a Beard. I think the Recording King has a spun cone, but I'm not sure. I'm just now learning the resonator guitar, so I don't know yet what I don't know about it.

What are your thoughts resonator players?
Leave it as it is until you have some experience of playing under your belt. A lot of tone comes from the set-up (tension screw), from the saddles ( you have maple/ebony capped), from the strings (PB or nickel), from your slide, and from your picks.

Those Recording King cones are hand spun "Continental" cones - and they are absolutely fine.

My best bit of advice for anyone starting out on squareneck dobro is to start playing with a band/other people as soon as possible. If you wait until you think that you are ready then you will never get there. It is quite difficult to learn solo pieces on squareneck dobro......but it is very easy to add some simple dobro to a song as part of a band and for it to sound good. You are there in support. Just play in the gaps.

I've been playing dobro on and off for about 15 years, and spent 8 years with a bluegrass band. I don't know a single solo piece on the instrument! But I'm happy working out some pretty licks and fill and the odd lead break to support a band or another musician in a duet.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-11-2024, 02:05 PM

I have started Peghead Nation's Beginning Dobro course and so far am having a good time with it. I like the resonance and tone of the Recording King reso and (taking advice from this thread) will play it and decide down the road. I wasn't aware the Phil Leadbetter had a hand spun Continental cone. It's probably just fine and will never need changing.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
I certainly love my Beard wood-bodied, spider bridge/cone resonator. I never thought I'd buy a resonator guitar, until I heard & played my friend's Goldtone PB Signature res: then, I had to have one!
I didn't have one on my radar when I tried my son's converted Yamaha FG375Sii. It was a lot of fun, and I thought it would be easier than learning slide on my Martin. I tried a slide before, but my arthritic hands told me it wasn't a good idea to push my luck. The squareneck style resonator seemed to be an option. I got a great deal from Mandomutt (thanks, Kevin!) and it included a Shubb capo, SP3 slide and decent hard case. Couldn't have asked for a better deal.

I'm going to be busy for a while learning my way around it.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:16 AM

I think the cone makes the most difference in the sound of a reso guitar. You might want to get something like a Scheerhorn or Beard Legend (my choice) cone and pop it in. Keep the old cone though.

I didn't think my dobro sounded that good until I put a Beard Legend in. Just my experience. A buddy has an RK (not the Phil Leadbetter) and it sounds okay, but I think a Legend cone would really kick it up a notch.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can even get a stamped cone these days. Even the cheap ones on eBay seem to be spun. Quarterman used to make a cone with lugs but it was still spun.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:34 AM

The Beard Legend cone is still on my radar. I'm just now beginning and expect that sometime in the next 6 months may switch out the cone. Thanks for your comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments