The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-27-2018, 06:14 PM

Look forward to the build. Sure it will be beautiful, with or without sapwood. Lol.
Russ Parker
Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=WilbornGuitars;5739594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post

I do like sapwood. I do! I do! But, I like to have some on the sides if I have it on the back. And with the molten look of the cocobolo binding, I figured the yellow would be a distraction. And now, most importantly, it's too late- the saw has done his work.
Ok then, show us the build. Details please and all is good
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Tough crowd here, huh Ben!?! Gotta be on your toes don't cha know. But, here's a couple of shots of the sides in the bending process. These very well may raise some questions also...but at least we'll be onto another topic .

Maybe someone will ask why you put the binding and purfling on the sides before they arrive on the guitar?? Maybe many builders do this and I simply missed it as I always thought binding came after the box was done. Maybe they are just stuck on with tape temporarily? Curious!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Smile It IS pretty already

I am sure you two will come up with another stunning beauty. It is looking very nice already.

As for questions, why the white lines in the hip bends?

Carry on gentlemen!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
As for questions, why the white lines in the hip bends?

Paul
To centre the sides in the bending machine?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks again guys. In Ben's most noteworthy fashion, the progress is progressive indeed. One thing that I would guess everyone likes about working with Ben is the speed of start to finish.

We decided to bind this one with Cocobolo which you'll see in these photos. I especially like the wood on the headstock. Pretty stuff!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is very pretty wood on the headstock.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That is very pretty wood on the headstock.
Thanks John! It reminds me of some of the stuff you have done.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

"Maybe someone will ask why you put the binding and purfling on the sides before they arrive on the guitar?? Maybe many builders do this and I simply missed it as I always thought binding came after the box was done. Maybe they are just stuck on with tape temporarily? Curious!"

I don't know why more folks don't do this. I am bending my binding/purfling sticks at the same time as the sides. I preshape the sides- that is I contour the sides where they will meet the back. (the top side I leave alone for now) I tape the bindings tight against the sides before slipping them in the bending form. This alleviates the problem (you know it if you build...) of the bindings being forced to contour to a 3 dimensional curve where the sides meet the back in a domed radius. With this technique, they just plop right into the binding channels, perfectly pre bent, instead of fighting and biting the whole way. They are my friends instead of my enemies!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
"Maybe someone will ask why you put the binding and purfling on the sides before they arrive on the guitar?? Maybe many builders do this and I simply missed it as I always thought binding came after the box was done. Maybe they are just stuck on with tape temporarily? Curious!"

I don't know why more folks don't do this. I am bending my binding/purfling sticks at the same time as the sides. I preshape the sides- that is I contour the sides where they will meet the back. (the top side I leave alone for now) I tape the bindings tight against the sides before slipping them in the bending form. This alleviates the problem (you know it if you build...) of the bindings being forced to contour to a 3 dimensional curve where the sides meet the back in a domed radius. With this technique, they just plop right into the binding channels, perfectly pre bent, instead of fighting and biting the whole way. They are my friends instead of my enemies!
Great explanation Ben. maybe everyone DOES do this...heck if I know but I do like the idea. Makes perfect sense. Thx!!

Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

So, here's today's progress. The sides are now joined and the Spanish Cedar kerfling in place.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Clean work Ben! Just like your pickin’!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-01-2018, 07:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Clean work Ben! Just like your pickin’!
Nose pickin'? I thought no one noticed.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Kerfing

I've been using Kevin Ryan's A4 kerfing for a long time. It was very fragile, and had to be cut with care, but it worked really well and I loved the cool black racing stripe that was an artifact of the laser with which it was cut. But they stopped making it last year, and are promising to come out with a new A5 product soon. I got a sample recently, and it is structurally really great, and bends well in 3D. BUT, it is made out of plywood. High grade baltic birch, but plywood nonetheless. As a "recovered" cabinet maker, I looked at it and instantly recognized it as the same material that I once made countless drawer boxes out of. I don't know if I can bring myself to use plywood in my guitars. Maybe I am just being a snob. What does everyone think?

In the meantime, I am cutting my own kerfing from Cedro. I love the smell that it imparts to a guitar (for years to come!) and I also like the fact that I make it myself rather than purchase it- a silly point of pride perhaps. Reverse kerfing is also very stiff after it's glued to the sides, which I suspect is a good thing. Anyhow, Woody's guitar here has this new stuff I made in it, and I love the look. It is THE MOST TEDIOUS thing to cut, but what the hell, at least I'm not digging a hole in direct sunlight in a septic leach field. So I count my blessings.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Here's some of that home grown Cedro kerfling Ben mentioned in the last post. I had no idea he made it himself which is quite cool. Ben, I certainly won't object to Cedro kerfling vs plywood..thank you!! This guitar, like most of Ben's is coming together in record speed.

These pics show the innards of this guitar. I really like how clean it all is...clean lines and clean workmanship. And yes, that is the additional support for the arm bevel you see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop