The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM

If you get a great F5 style mandolin it's the greatest thing ever. I've never felt that level of excitement from any early Gibson A.

I learned on two early 20th c. Gibson A's, and they were charming and fun. I still own a rare, modern-era A style made by a very small shop known mostly for violins. But my main instrument is a classic F5-type, from a famous maker, and it's peerless, even stacked against legendary Gibsons. Write me down for F5 style.

That said, I did just buy a new Eastman F style with oval hole for those times when it should be in public vs. my best one.

Last edited by chicfarmer1; 06-26-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 AM

I like the a-model with f-holes and I like the a-model with oval holes and I like the pancake. I like the variety and think the scroll unnecessary flamboyance.

I think the a-model with f-holes the most versatile.

f-d
Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
I like the a-model with f-holes and I like the a-model with oval holes and I like the pancake. I like the variety and think the scroll unnecessary flamboyance.

f-d
Why would an A5 be more versatile than an F5? If there is no difference in tone, don't they share equal versatility?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Why would an A5 be more versatile than an F5? If there is no difference in tone, don't they share equal versatility?
it wouldn't. I still think what I think though?

f-d
Old 06-30-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:

f-d
No, I understand what you mean. F5 mandolins scream "BLUEGRASS!" to the point where, if you play anything else on it, it almost seems out of context.

An A5 doesn't have quite the same association. But as far as tone (when divorced from looks and the accompanying associations) they should be equally capable of playing any genre.

I will be the first to admit, I play an F5 at least partially for the looks. I had an Ellis A5, which cost basically the same as my Northfield. The Ellis was a great instrument. Great deep, woody tone and impeccable fit and finish, It was the epitome of a wise musical investment.

But I am primarily a grasser, and the siren song of the F5 was too great. I don't feel like my Northfield is an inferior instrument in any way. If you didn't know that it was built in a small workshop in China, you would not know it was an import. The interesting thing about Northfield is that their shop shop in China is basically the same size as the Ellis/Pava shop in Texas.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
<snip> I had an Ellis A5, which cost basically the same as my Northfield. The Ellis was a great instrument. Great deep, woody tone and impeccable fit and finish, It was the epitome of a wise musical investment. <another snip>
I also had an Ellis A5 (wide nut). After a few months, we parted. It didn't trump others in my collection. Turns out it wasn't made from special juice or such. Just a fine mandolin, but. . .

So are my Cohen and Muth and I'll always love my A3.

(Just so you know, I could be tempted towards a Gibson Sam Bush or other Master Model. Not sure I could ever go over $5K on an instrument though. I am what I am and that's, "Fairly average but having fun!")

f-d
Old 06-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
f-d
Quote:
Quote:

f-d
Didn't you mean the most versatile of those you mentioned?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-02-2017, 07:34 AM

I walked away from an F this week. Had an A from the same maker/same timeframe, same wood, same carve, same bracing and was thinking, how different could it be? Went with an A from the same maker but with different bracing and carve specs.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I walked away from an F this week. Had an A from the same maker/same timeframe, same wood, same carve, same bracing and was thinking, how different could it be? Went with an A from the same maker but with different bracing and carve specs.
I think most everyone would agree that was a good decision. The bracing and the carving specs will have more impact on the sound of the instrument than a scroll. If you aren't beguiled and bewitched by the looks of the F5, all the better for you. There are absolutely fantastic A5 mandolins out their at less than 50% the cost of a comparable F5.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:54 AM

You'll get more mandolin for the money buying an A style, but the F's are very pretty.

And I am sorry for posting this, but it makes me laugh:

Old 07-03-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post
You'll get more mandolin for the money buying an A style, but the F's are very pretty.

And I am sorry for posting this, but it makes me laugh:

Pretty good. Truth is sometimes even funnier. The dealer I just bought a mandolin from has a fretboard that was saved from the trash when Bill Monroe was having a new board put on his Gibson. Asking price is $75,000.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Pretty good. Truth is sometimes even funnier. The dealer I just bought a mandolin from has a fretboard that was saved from the trash when Bill Monroe was having a new board put on his Gibson. Asking price is $75,000.
Was that at Carter's Vintage? They have the very best mandolin selection I have ever seen. My 13 year old son is a mandolin player and we went to Nashville last fall and he asked to go to Carter's every day that we were there.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post
Was that at Carter's Vintage? They have the very best mandolin selection I have ever seen. My 13 year old son is a mandolin player and we went to Nashville last fall and he asked to go to Carter's every day that we were there.
Yep. They have like 5-6 Lloyd Loars. I think he cut me a deal to cut down on his "under $10,000 inventory". My sale probably covered his insurance for like 47 seconds.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Interesting that when I visited The Mandolin Store last spring, they mentioned how few people bought the fancier A styles in comparison to plainer mandolins . Basicly A style buyers were more bang for your buck buyers, F style buyers were more likely to spend the premium for nice inlay. Gross generalization, but that is what a major dealer sells.

Lots of Collings MTs selling.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Interesting that when I visited The Mandolin Store last spring, they mentioned how few people bought the fancier A styles in comparison to plainer mandolins . Basicly A style buyers were more bang for your buck buyers, F style buyers were more likely to spend the premium for nice inlay. Gross generalization, but that is what a major dealer sells.

Lots of Collings MTs selling.
Collings MT's are good value, I just can't get next to the way they are voiced. Prefer the darker Gibson type voice. Even within the Collings line, an MF with the same cosmetics as an MT cost just about twice as much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments